Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to verify the automatically emergency braking works without risking damage If it turns out that does not work?

i have had heard the warning beep approaching a stopped vehicle while driving below the 25mph threshold of adaptive cruise control, but I have always had to hit the brake myself because it looked like the car wasn’t going to stop.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have always had to hit the brake myself because it looked like the car wasn’t going to stop.
Indeed. The system in those car is a mitigation one, which means it will only react as a last resort effort to limit damages if the driver, for some reasons, do not react. It doesn't replace the driver. A local car show did a test with a fake car obstacle and it didn't engage. The Toyota representative explained that it was because the target didn't meet some criteria. So it's kind of an act of faith...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know the criteria?
What speeds does it work at etc.(do you have to be driving at a speed where adaptive cruise control works)? Would it even stop you from tapping the bumper of the car ahead when parallel parking?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,400 Posts
You can either test it and hurt yourself, wait til someone answers here, get a Toyota TIS Subscription and read about it, or just "brake like it is the 90s" (as in using the brakes when needed).

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
My dad's suburu forester always hard breaks when he backs into the driveway because a water main cap slightly protrudes out the ground. His driveway is slightly sloped while the water main cap isn't. Never rely on technology because it will fail/act up

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is there any way to verify the automatically emergency braking works without risking damage If it turns out that does not work?

i have had heard the warning beep approaching a stopped vehicle while driving below the 25mph threshold of adaptive cruise control, but I have always had to hit the brake myself because it looked like the car wasn’t going to stop.
get yourself an empty, large cardboard box and set in up in the middle of the road. head towards it and see if your car's AEB will engage. if it doesn't you won't hurt your car at all. of course you could enlist your mother in law (or take mine, please) and have her stand in front of you.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Does anyone know the criteria?
What speeds does it work at etc.
This extract from the Canadian Toyota site describe it somewhat in a "lawyered" language so I guess that's the only engagement from the company : ;)
(underlining is from me)

"If the system determines that the possibility of a frontal collision with that vehicle is high, you will hear a beeping sound and a visual warning will appear on your dashboard’s multi-information display. These audio and visual alerts should prompt you to take evasive action and brake.

If you notice the hazard and brake, the system may provide additional braking force using Brake Assist. If you do not react to the audio and visual alerts within a set time, and the vehicle speed is between 10 and 80 km/h (6 and 50 mph), the system may automatically apply your vehicle’s brakes, reducing its speed to help lessen the impact and in certain cases avoid the collision.

Automatic braking may reduce vehicle speed by up to 30 km/h (19 mph)".
So basically, it will mitigate damage by slowing you. Under ideal conditions (driving under 20 mph with perfect pavement/tires/brake grip), it may stop you but since some time already lapsed while you were ignoring alert, there is no more warranty than if the driver fully brake but at the last minute. Braking distance still depends on the laws of physic. Some more advanced systems exist but even Auto-Pilot is not perfect for the same reason.

get yourself an empty, large cardboard box and set in up in the middle of the road
This may or may not work the same as a true car. In the local TV show I mentioned in a post above, the test didn't work because the density/texture of the phony (and foamy !) car didn't read as a car to the system. Or so they say... It's somewhat like airbags. You may thank them if they works but you don't want to test them !

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I had it activate on my 2017 Corolla iM once when pulling into my garage. My driveway slopes up into the garage and my garage door was still opening. I knew that I would clear under it but due to the angle going up my driveway it sensed the garage door still moving up and jammed on the brakes. It totally startled me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had it activate on my 2017 Corolla iM once when pulling into my garage. My driveway slopes up into the garage and my garage door was still opening. I knew that I would clear under it but due to the angle going up my driveway it sensed the garage door still moving up and jammed on the brakes. It totally startled me.
Looks like Subaru is best.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
They are all junk. Never trust A.I.
I woudn't say "junk" but misused. There are two types of drivers help: those who can do things better than any driver (TC,ESC,ABS) and have had a positive effect on driving casualties (see NHTSA) and those who try to compensate for distraction (BSM,AEB) and, as such, are great but end up with so-so effect on driving casualties (see NHTSA) because too many people end up relying on them as if they were substitutes for vigilance, which they aren’t.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
That is the problem. People are assuming the advancements in car safety tech is to compensate for bad lazy driving. It doesn't. I for one HATE these regressive technological safety features. They are more problematic then helpful.
I work at a Lincoln dealership and the damn sensors go off for no reason and annoy the piss outta me. I've also witnessed people getting ran over because the driver looks at the back up camera while backing up and ends up hitting someone... it's all stupid useless technology.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,870 Posts
The problem isn't people driving. It's software related.

Think of it this way. When you take a picture in the mirror with flash, the picture is over exposed. Same thing with forward sensing cameras.

The camera will get blinded depending on the direction of the reflection.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
We should learn how to use turn signals before learning anything else... because... what is a turn signal...?

I do my best to use my turn signal's 99% of the time when I turn almost anywhere whether or not it is in complete darkness or if anyone is near me.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,870 Posts
Nope. Put the phone down first and eyes forward and hands at 10 and 2.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Nope. Put the phone down first and eyes forward and hands at 10 and 2.
It's 9 and 3 now because the air bag may shove your hands in your face or something related. Though I ether drive 9 and arm on my leg or shifter or 7.5 with my thumb arm in similar location as before. Then I swipe left or right for the next song on my phone mounted on my CD player.

Something I find that is easy to forget that unsurprisingly it is easier to turn with two hands than one.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I don't like some of this so-called safety stuff since I feel it makes people lazy. I feel that way with blind-spot warnings. If you adjust your side mirrors correctly it's a waste of money. I can follow a car and see it in my blind spot before the light on my side mirror even lights up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem isn't people driving. It's software related.

Think of it this way. When you take a picture in the mirror with flash, the picture is over exposed. Same thing with forward sensing cameras.

The camera will get blinded depending on the direction of the reflection.
I don't think so.
The second video shows different cars in the same conditions having different results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts