Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Camry folks hopefully someone can help a lost fellow out . The befores 1996 Camry 2.2 auto . Threw a rod . Bought a wrecked 2000 Camry installed motor after everything changed over to the 96 . It runs great in the mornings when it's cool in the afternoon it's will spit and spudder it will stall but crank rite back up it's real bad under a load . I can let it sit and run in the shop and after about 30 minutes it will miss occasionally. Any help would be appreciated car has 250000 miles on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little more info I replaced the water and oil pump timing belt new dist cap and rotor valve stem sealer and modulator is less than a year old cleaned the throttle body found that the 96 injectors had cracks in the plastic sleeves so I used the 2000 injectors

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you do a flow test on the 2000 injectors? What is your fuel % at idle and load? Is the MAF dirty, which could effect this as well. Is it throwing any codes or pending codes?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,911 Posts
Did you do a flow test on the 2000 injectors? What is your fuel % at idle and load? Is the MAF dirty, which could effect this as well. Is it throwing any codes or pending codes?
^Good suggestions, but the 5S-FE has no MAF, it's a MAP engine.

OP, the 2000 motor will be different from the '96. The '96 was the last year of the gen3 and has a non-adjustable distributor and different injectors, plus I believe the head design is different on a 2000. I would first make sure you're using the throttle body, IAC, and wiring harness from a '96.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey would you look at that, it does have a MAP. My apologies. It has been a while since I really did anything with the S series motors.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Did you use the head and everything else from the 96? If so and you reused the distributor, I would check the coil. They have a tendency to develop cracks and act up when they heat up. I believe the coil was external on the 96.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it isn't throwing any codes and yes I used all the 1996 stuff I pulled the 2000 motor and injectors and replaced everything else with the 96 . I also took the throttle body and iac apart and cleaned them.I have put a new coolant temp sensor on it also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check the coil in a little while and see where that goes I didn't use the 96 head I left the 2000 head on just changed the valve cover

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update replace the coolant temp sensor and it helped a little if I drive and park it then crank it back up it starts missing bad enough that it will cut off but crank rite back up ordering a coil today is there an adjustment on the tps would that cause these problems I used the head and injectors of of the 200 motor everything else is off of the 96 motor. Inever unbolted the head from the 2000 block just installed the distribtor and sensors from the 96 any help would be appreciated my other vehicle to drive is a 1994 dodge 2500 v10. My wallet thanks you for all help lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok fellow Camry owners the 1996 is fixed after replacing the temp sensor and the idle postion sensor and a coil. No dice still missing and sputtering. Drove it to work Thursday on my way home it starts missing again but it's still doing it when I get home so I pop the hood and start grabbing wires in the dark low and behold my less than 6month old Bosch plug wires are bad . Ordered a set of NKG wires and problem solved. Maybe I should just work on this car lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts