Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 2WD reg cab
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My muffler has been going out for a while, one of the seams was rusted out. I just plugged it with muffler cement, and the air gap has been plugged. (I'm just trying to get through inspection, for right now)

But now my truck sounds super loud at the exhaust manifold, mostly under load, or when letting off on the throttle quickly. I think maybe the insides of the muffler are rusted out - could this cause a lot of noise back at the manifold?

No bad smells, I have no reason to think the cat has a problem (no rattling), my mileage is ok.

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
If you have noise at the manifold it is from a leak. I had trouble with my 91 22re with the down-pipe stud bolts loosening up. I could not find the self locking castle nuts so I double nutted them and so far no more leaks, that was 3 years ago. I did have to replace the two fiber gaskets also.

·
TOYsRus
11Tundra Limited TRD
144 Posts
Same, same here...
When I got my dads truck to restore... muffler was rusted thru.. got a new one put one and had loud leak up front, drivers side..

I have a nut missing on exhaust flange, seeing I don't know the size I need, it has gotten worse.. which means my gasket is now blown.
I have put it off due to I know it is going to be a PITB haha

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
The 20R and 22R motors are famous for the studs to back out at both the manifold and the headers.

If you guys are interested, the part# for the studs are 90116-10049 and the nuts are 90080-17187. However, if you go to another dealer, they may use some other type of combination. I liteally have used at least three or four, but the above is by far the most common.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've replaced the studs on mine too with ones from the local parts store. It's a cheap fix for like $12 or something. The gaskets are cheap too. I would try to tighten them first and see if you can get through your sticker but if it doesn't work just fix it. It's not much money. The hardest part is getting the studs out and even that isn't all that bad to do. I used high strength lock tight on the new studs and haven't had an issue with them yet.

·
TOYsRus
11Tundra Limited TRD
144 Posts
My studs are there, the nut is gone.. but if I had found a replacement early when I first noticed it, I could have saved the gasket, it was a small tick.. now its a loud one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts