Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Toyta Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very loud ticking from my 4-cylinder when ever it is running. it gets slower when you put it in gear and let it sit, and when you accelerate it gets faster with the engine, anyone got an idea of what it is, I have just about stopped driving it now. I know this has probably already been addressed but whatever help I can get would be Awesome. Thanks guys, you all rock.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
vavle ticks ?? where is it comming from ?

·
Registered
1990 Toyta Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cranked it up today and dove it for a while, and I opened the hood, and I saw that the Radiator had sprung a pin sized hole or two at the top. The ticking I'm trying to tell you about, sounds like the ticking that is common among the engines when first starting them after a while of sitting, described as a lack of oiling. Only it does it constantly making me think there is now internal damage to the engine, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
that cant be good... i had the same problem before i re did my engine...

at first it took a few tries to start the motor to turn over... then it started to over heat and then came the clogged radiator for some reason and then my radiator sprung a leak.. (i didnt know at the time i had an internal head gasket leak)after a while (adding coolant every other day) a hard knocking sound was coming form my engine... so i got the head redone but i guess not doing the lower block along with the head was a bad thing.. ended up blowing the lower block... so i just got my engine overhauled from top to bottom...

i hope im not scaring you that this will happen to your car but im just sharing what happened to mine.. sounds like the same things i heard and was going through..

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The same noise can come from bad alternator bearing or poorly tensioned drive belt.
the oil starvation of the lower end causes dull knocking sound [similar to heavy hummer on the hard wood]

·
Registered
1990 Toyta Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to my uncle who has been around cars his whole life and he said that it sounded like my heads where cracked. (uh-oh!) What would be the better (safer) and cheaper route, getting the whole engine redone, selling the car and finding another Camry or Toyota, or getting another (used) engine and replacing it?

·
Registered
1990 Toyta Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, We are going to shell out the money to get a used engine out of another Camry, hopefully with less miles, and one of our military mechanic friends is going to help us swap them. I'm hoping we can get it all nice and tuned like a top before we get it back on the road. My dad said he thought that the oil pump could have gone out because there was oil on the stick and it seems like the engine had a lack of oil. a dozen midget with ball hammers is how its been described, lol. well, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1990 Toyta Camry
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She LIVES!!!

We have done it! She is back and kickin' like never before! She has never had this much pep in her step! lol, used a 2.0 from an older camry and shifted some stuff from the old to the new, and BAMM!

·
Registered
1991 Camry
111 Posts
We have done it! She is back and kickin' like never before! She has never had this much pep in her step! lol, used a 2.0 from an older camry and shifted some stuff from the old to the new, and BAMM!
what kind of stuff did you change? do you know what the problem was in the first place?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts