Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
200k miles!
1991 Camry
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my front lower control arms have seen better days. The arms themselves look good, the inner bushings are fine, but the bushing where the sway bar passes through is shot on both sides of the car. It's enough where you can really move the wheel around when the car is on the ground. They're bad enough that the car can't really be acurately aligned. The ball joints and tie rods are good. I've been putting it off since control arms would cost me over $150 to do, but I just found this:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1273081,parttype,7532,partGroup,27

If I can just replace the bushings, I'd definitely do that. Has anybody just replaced bushings? Also, I've been looking for a polyurethane replacement with no luck.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The urethane bushings can cause sway bar to break; thes rubber bushings can last I may say another 3
years. you have to grind off the flange of one bushing then use hydraulic press with adaptor to drive both bushings out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can burn the old bushings out and squeeze the new ones in by freezing them beforehand to compress it--that's what another member planned to do, I don't know how hard it is. You can always take it to a shop to have them press it out and put the new ones in. Might as well replace the other set of bushings on the control arms while you're in there.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,893 Posts
The urethane bushings can cause sway bar to break; thes rubber bushings can last I may say another 3
years. you have to grind off the flange of one bushing then use hydraulic press with adaptor to drive both bushings out.
Have you seen the swaybar actually break from poly bushings? I don't really see how it could happen...

I vote to just get pre-loaded arms from eBay and put them in. It will be a much easier path than just trying to do the bushings - the time and hassle saved should be worth the extra few dollars.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What I saw were the almost destroyed sway bar U-bushings and brackets after 2 year use period since urethane kit installation, according to the paperwork found in the car. The rubber bushings can allow some forward-rearward movement of sway bar relative to control arm when it is at the ends of its travel either exterme upper extreme lower position.Urethane bushing is rigid therefore it should put bending stress on the swaybar end at these extreme positions.
In the case I saw it [car at the wrecked yard, Ecology auto parts] the U-bshings were the weakest links so the y failed and allowed the sway bar movement.

·
200k miles!
1991 Camry
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so maybe the rubber bushing are a better option than the polyurethane. My boyfriend says taking them out would be no problem since he's got a press at work. I'm not sure about burning them out since there's a metal rim around them. I'm almost thinking if I can get a screwdriver underneath the lip around the bushing that maybe I can pry them out. I can afford to not have the car drivable for a couple days, so I have time to try a few things while it's apart.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ok so maybe the rubber bushing are a better option than the polyurethane. My boyfriend says taking them out would be no problem since he's got a press at work. I'm not sure about burning them out since there's a metal rim around them. I'm almost thinking if I can get a screwdriver underneath the lip around the bushing that maybe I can pry them out. I can afford to not have the car drivable for a couple days, so I have time to try a few things while it's apart.
I'm in the same position, needing to replace squeaky control arms/bushing set. Like Charlie wrote, preloaded arms off Ebay are the way I'm going b/c I don't have access to a press. You can get both lower arms for around 100 total.
Beware: the press needs to have quite a bit of tonnage behind it (force). They can be burned out, I've seen it done, but it smells horrible, it's messy, and there's always the time/expense/danger factor. I highly doubt you're going to pry them out with a screwdriver, or anything else for that matter (besides aforementioned press). If you decide to get them pressed out the cost of replacement bushings isn't that much better than the preloaded arms on Ebay (at least the last time I checked which was 4weeks ago or so)
Best of luck!

Jeff
90 Le Sedan AT, FWD
2vz-fe
141k and back from the shop yay!

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,893 Posts
With air tools, it takes about 15 minutes max to replace both control arms.

How much is your time, the hassle and the use of your car worth to save $40-$60?

-Charlie

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
With air tools, it takes about 15 minutes max to replace both control arms.

How much is your time, the hassle and the use of your car worth to save $40-$60?

-Charlie

You need a lift too.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,893 Posts
You need a lift too.
I've done it both ways in my garage... replacing just the bushing or the whole arm. Why do you need a lift?

-Charlie

·
200k miles!
1991 Camry
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I did some more research and that part on RockAuto is for one bushing, not one side. So I'd need 4 of those, making it much less of a cost savings than I thought. I've been checking around eBay and they have them with ball joints for $115. Not a bad deal at all. These must have become recently available because I checked into this last fall and it was looking like $150 was the cheapest I could do this for. Looks like it's gotten cheaper, and that was with new ball joints.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i have a set of polyurthane bushings for it if you want em... can't use em since i have the whiteline bar which is bigger in diameter

·
200k miles!
1991 Camry
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, the sway bar bushings up front look fine on my car. Thanks anyway.

Thanks people for all the help. I think I'll end up grabbing a pair of control arms from eBay. I'll do it as my gift to the car since it will hit 200,000 miles by the end of this week. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yup, the sway bar bushings up front look fine on my car. Thanks anyway.

Thanks people for all the help. I think I'll end up grabbing a pair of control arms from eBay. I'll do it as my gift to the car since it will hit 200,000 miles by the end of this week. :)
Hey Jen does your car make squeeks/groans going over speedbumps, etc? If so, once you do the CA swap can you post if the suspension quieted down at all?
Thanks
Jeff

·
200k miles!
1991 Camry
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure will Jeff. Honestly, I've put some white grease in there in the past and it quieted down temporarily, so I'm fully expecting this to do the trick. It will be nice to be able to get an alignment again as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sure will Jeff. Honestly, I've put some white grease in there in the past and it quieted down temporarily, so I'm fully expecting this to do the trick. It will be nice to be able to get an alignment again as well.
I was going to try the white grease as well, however it seems on my car I can't get anything inbetween the bushing and metal to squirt the grease in. The bushings are quite hard now. I really hope your CA-swap helps the suspension noise as that will give me hope/motivation to buy the Ebay CAs. Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
639 Posts
Several years ago I bought new bushings from Toyota ($100?) and about $25 at a machine shop to press them in. Took it in for an alignment after i installed and now all is good. 88LE

·
Registered
283 Posts
Several years ago I bought new bushings from Toyota ($100?) and about $25 at a machine shop to press them in. Took it in for an alignment after i installed and now all is good. 88LE
two pre-loaded control arms on Ebay run 96 with shipping. Some of the sellers give you new ball joints too. It's not a pricey fix really, just doing it w/o air tools is a superbitch

Jeff

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add -- white grease or anything of the sort should not be used. Any petroleum-based grease will eat the rubber bushing. I think silicon-based grease is what is recommended?

Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts