Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having this problem. When starting out between 10 and 25 mph and when slowing down between 25 and 10 mph I am getting a vibration somewhere in the driveline or tires. I just had brand new tires put on the truck. I had the vibration with the OEM tires and had those rebalanced a couple of times with no luck. I ran across this thread on a different forum and it sounds like the same problem. http://www.autoforumz.com/-Vibrating-Tacoma-ftopict80298.html His truck was a brand new 04 and noticed the problem at about 200 miles on it. After about 500 miles on mine I started to notice the same thing. I thought it was the crappy OEM tires because Iv'e had them rebalanced a couple of times. Now that I have the new tires on it does the same thing so I started searching in a different area and came across this drive shaft balancing thread. I guess if it was a tire balance issue, I would have the vibration at highway speeds, but I don't. Anybody have any ideas. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had a vibrating issue at about the same speeds as you and my vibrations were coming from my carrier bearing. Somehow when Toyota installed it, is was installed off to the side. I just loosened the two bolts and centered it in the mounting plate and tightened it back down and my vibrations were gone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Make sure you have the tires and wheels balanced on a "Road Force Balancer". Your local Toyota dealer should have one. Also check to see if all of your lug nuts were torqued to 85 ft/lbs in the right sequence. Good luck.

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did have the OEM tires balanced at the dealer and they do have the road force balancer. I am not sure if they used the required Haweka adapter for toyota wheels. I quess my best bet is to just take it to them to have it checked out. I just hate these dealers. It is never an easy process with those guys. I will mention the carrier bearing to them and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good Luck with it. Like I said before, you were having the exact same problem I was having. I also got my wheels balanced using a lug-centric adapter which most discount tires have.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the same vibration and isolated it to the drivetrain. At first I thought it was the tranny but it only occurs in 2wd so I figured it was axle wrap or the carrier bearing.

Ill try centering the carrier bearing, Great find!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had this vibration since "almost" new (have 10K miles now) and it is not the tires, that's for sure. I would say with reasonable certainty that's it's related to the driveshaft. However, there have been a few threads about this vibration and some guys had their driveshaft swapped with another Tacoma and still had the problem. So.......... As for the carrier bearing, some say to line it up with a string from the center of the trans tailshaft to the center of the differential flange. Others say it's supposed to have a small angle to it. I know this didn't help -- just trying to confuse the issue!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Walters said:
I have had this vibration since "almost" new (have 10K miles now) and it is not the tires, that's for sure. I would say with reasonable certainty that's it's related to the driveshaft. However, there have been a few threads about this vibration and some guys had their driveshaft swapped with another Tacoma and still had the problem. So.......... As for the carrier bearing, some say to line it up with a string from the center of the trans tailshaft to the center of the differential flange. Others say it's supposed to have a small angle to it. I know this didn't help -- just trying to confuse the issue!
The bearing does have a angle to it. Its just that it can be moved left to right and front to back about 1/2". I just centered it left to right on the mounting plate and found a happy medium front to back that did not stretch the rubber in the carrier bearing. Very easy to do by just sliding under the truck with a 17mm socket, a little extension and about 2 minutes.

·
Geekmaster 5000
26 Posts
Turtleboy said:
Good Luck with it. Like I said before, you were having the exact same problem I was having. I also got my wheels balanced using a lug-centric adapter which most discount tires have.

You must to have the wheels and tires balanced using LUG-Centric Balancer or you will have a vibration. do a search your question will be addressed in full.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Northwst said:
You must to have the wheels and tires balanced using LUG-Centric Balancer or you will have a vibration. do a search your question will be addressed in full.
I did have my wheels and tires balanced using a lug centric adapter. I felt the vibration when I was slowing down from 30 to 0. My whole truck would shake and the plastic would rattle because of the shaking, it was horrible. Than I aligned my carrier bearing and it was a million times better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Northwst said:
ok my bad. just using your quote to show that you have to.
I just read a post about dropping the carrier bearing to solve a vibration on the toytec's lift

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t111902.html
no problem, we are all here to help each other. Yea, I read that thread and left it alone because my issues had nothing to do with my lift, wheels or tires and mine is a 2wd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts