Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know....what would cause vibration at highway speeds like 110kms plus.....the whole dash vibrates......is it the tires? do they need to be rebalanced......

175/70R13.....on a toyota corolla alltrac wagon.....anyone know the proper tire pressure?????

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
my car did that when my 2 front rims were warpped. The shop put the 2 warped ones on the back and now it's not so bad. But mine did it around 155 - 160 then stopped doing. used to do it really bad around 120 when I had that one really bad front tire, leaked was bald and so on. the tire pressure can vary. Usuaully around 32. BUt my motomaster tires I had same size as yours were 41 psi an dmy x-ice tires are 51 psi. It should say on your tire somwhere.

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check the tires...not sure what the recommended pressure is.......I think they're at 24 or 26 now.....snow around......and I get better traction at the lower pressure.....

freakinbox said:
my car did that when my 2 front rims were warpped. The shop put the 2 warped ones on the back and now it's not so bad. But mine did it around 155 - 160 then stopped doing. used to do it really bad around 120 when I had that one really bad front tire, leaked was bald and so on. the tire pressure can vary. Usuaully around 32. BUt my motomaster tires I had same size as yours were 41 psi an dmy x-ice tires are 51 psi. It should say on your tire somwhere.

·
Pow! Right in the Kisser!
476 Posts
How old are the tires...i had the same vibration everytime i got the car up to around 115. It was that the tires were old and the metal stiching was shifting. Therefore i bought new tires.

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Could be...

snow or mud on the inside of the rims clean this off before doing anything

The tire inner threads could be separating and you are getting a bulge in the tire. When this gets worse at very slow speeds on flat pavement you can feel a slight shimmy or see the wheel rock back and forth if you take your hands off the wheel. (this also means the tire could commit suicide and blow itself to smithereens, and take you with it, at any time)

A balancing weight may have fallen off and they need rebalancing.

You could have an unusual amount of water inside your tires from filling them with saturated air. Under normal driving when it is warm it will both be absorbed withing the air in the tire and it spread itself evenly when you drive so you dont notice but in the winder it can condense then freeze in a lump making you scratch you head for months trying to find the problem.

Your steering components are shite and you need to get some new ball joints or tie rods.

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
I had that problem with my SR5 when i first bought it and it turned out that the tires had falt spots on them, they were apprently stored vertically and under pressure so a part of the tire stayed flat.. I had to change two tires and the car was driving like a dream

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can do a quick check on whether the front tires/wheels are round or out of balance by jacking the front of the car up just off a level surface. Start it and put it in gear and watch the wheels rotate. As you CAREFULLY increase RPM you may see one of the wheels start to bounce. That's the guilty one.

If the wheels check out ok it could be a bad CV joint. I had a bad inner CV joint once that caused the hood (and other things) to vibrate at highway speed.

A quick but not scientific check is to reach in and grab the shaft close to the boot and see if you can move the joint vertically up and down. The whole half-shaft may be moving further in so you have to be very discerning to tell if its really the joint.

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,883 Posts
Your Tire Will Tell You The Max Pressure ...not The Actually Recommended Pressure.. For That You Need To Look In The Glove Box And See What Toyota Recommended... I Would Say 32 Front 30-28 In The Back

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drive shafts

I had the same problem with an AE102, 160,000 Klms travelled.
Wheel balance and rims ok. It ended up being a front drive shaft, I suspect it was the long one, I replaced them both and it was perfect after that.

·
91 Corolla AllTrac
1991 AllTrac Wagon
4 Posts
if there is any noise it could be the wheel bearings starting to go. I had that problem on mine.

·
Feel the vibe.
01 Corolla S
702 Posts
check your tire pressure and your wheel if its bent or unbalanced, like everyone said. maybe your struts may be a lil loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts