Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. New member here. Just purchased my first Highlander and love it. 2006 limited. Only issue so far is that I feel quite a bit of high frequency engine and road vibration in the steering wheel. No shake or wobble but just more than I have noticed in other cars I have owned. Just wondering if this is normal with these vehicles or should I look into it further? Car tracks fine, feels very tight and runs very smooth. Just the feel that concerns me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nope, not normal. Does it change when you go around corners? If so that could indicate a wheel bearing is going. How many miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it doesn't change when turning. Definitely seem to feel a change in the road surface in the steering wheel and also some slight vibrations from the engine. But everything seems tight. No play in the steering, engine very quiet and smoothl
I would expect to feel some of the road surface considering the connection between the wheels, axles, steering rack etc. Just seems to be more than most other cars I've driven. As far as the engine feel I suppose I could have a worn
motor mount. Car has 140K for mileage. No wheel bearing noise that I can notice even when moving slowly with the windows down. Everything is quiet. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Could just be the tires, you could try rotating them and see if anything changes. Also check your U joints for play. Those are likely fine though, I just did mine at 287,000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could just be the tires, you could try rotating them and see if anything changes. Also check your U joints for play. Those are likely fine though, I just did mine at 287,000 miles.
Yes that's possible. These are Michelins and are about half worn. I will try rotating them and see if that makes any difference. I am amazed on the other hand how tight this car is. There are no squeaks or rattles anywhere, the engine bay is pristine, no oil leaks of any kind and the undercarriage shows no rust anywhere. It was undercoated and appears to have spent its life mostly in a garage. You know what New England winters can do to a car. Overall I am more than pleased with the car. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the vibration change with change in vehicle speed?
Not really. I only feel a little engine vibration or buzz in steering wheel under load. When cruising it's very smooth but I do feel changes in road surface but all road surfaces feel and sound different. I can just sense small cracks or repairs in the road through the steering wheel. Front end feels tight, tracks straight, no play or slop of any kind in the suspension. Its as if there is no damping between the tires and steering wheel. It isn't enough to worry me just more than I am used to feeling compared to most other cars I have had. It could be perfectly normal. I just took a trip of nearly 500 miles and other than a front brake caliper that was dragging it drove great. Just changed out that caliper and rotor. That also made a big difference in performance. I think it was slightly dragging since I bought it but not enough to notice at first. Thanks for the reply.
Does the vibration change with change in vehicle speed?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
First try rotating the tires as Mgeorge suggested and checking the shocks, CV joints and the engine and transmission mounts.
After that, other things you could check: there is the damper weight on the passenger side of the engine, the brace that goes between the front struts, the active engine mount near the radiator- make sure the vacuum lines are attached, and there is a torsional damper on the left axle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First try rotating the tires as Mgeorge suggested and checking the shocks, CV joints and the engine and transmission mounts.
After that, other things you could check: there is the damper weight on the passenger side of the engine, the brace that goes between the front struts, the active engine mount near the radiator- make sure the vacuum lines are attached, and there is a torsional damper on the left axle.
Wow. Lots of info. Thanks. I'll check out all of it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It does sound like you may not be used to the feedback that's normal with these cars and that what you're feeling may be normal. I'd try a few of the suggestions listed above and not give it too much more thought unless something changes or gets worse. With 140,000 miles you should have quite a few trouble free miles ahead of you. Aside from a wheel bearing I don't think I had ANY real problems with my highlander until it had well over 200,000 miles on it. I didn't even do struts until almost 250,000 miles!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am beginning to agree with that. It doesn't feel like anything loose or worn. I just feel a little engine buzz sort of feeling under load at certain rpm's and can sense the road surface changes. I think a padded steering wheel cover will solve all of it. Lol. Thanks to everyone who offered invaluable advice and suggestions. I will follow up on them for sure even if to just give me peace of mind. I love the car more every time I drive it. Definitely a keeper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts