Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found that my new tacoma has a vibration coming from the passanger side floorboard. It only happens when it's cold. You can sometimes hear it when you take off, but it goes away as soon as the truck warms up. Of course, the service guys can't diagnose it because it's already warm when they get it.

I've checked all the obvious things, like exhaust system and running boards.

Has anyone run across this on a new tacoma? If it helps, it's a 06 double cab with the trd package, manual.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have something similar...passenger side, only when cold. I only hear it as soon as i throw it into drive or reverse and start moving. Almost sounds like brake is kinda stuck....Dunno...

·
Brand New Black Sand Prl
2006 TRD Tacoma Crew
81 Posts
Hey fellas... You must be new to the boards. Welcome. I believe there are a couple of threads discussing this minor issue. There is a TSB out to all the dealers on this. Basically there is a slight flaw in the way the cold air intake is designed, so on cold starts it vibrates against part of the truck body (at least that is the way I understand it). There is nothing wrong with it, but for the annoying noise. I had it myself.

Just take it in to the dealer and let them know you need the intake noise TSB (not sure exactly what it's called, but have a look in the TSB list on this website). Enjoy your Tacos. These trucks kick @$$!

:preach:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cool thanks! I just read one of the threads about this...I'll have to look at this tomorrow. Does an aftermarket intake eliminate this noise too?

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
I have this same problem and i have a k&n intake on my truck. like the previous post said, when the truck is cold, it seems to vibrate in low second gear........i did put some rubber around the heat shield but that wasn't the sound so i'm guessing its the noise you guys are talking about:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
i think i may have had this problem and fixed it with a phillips screwdriver. where the intake goes into the fender its not exactly centered. i just loosened up the clamp that is closest to the air cleaner and just gave it a counterclockwise twist. i only moved it about 1/8" but that was enough to get it to stop.

·
Registered
2005 Taco 4x4 DC LB
43 Posts
ABS self-test?

are you sure its not the ABS self-test exercise? its not a vibration you can feel, but it s a vibration sound, or "humm" for a couple seconds right after you put it in gear after a cold start...seems to come from under the front passenger side somewhere.

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
no.....it will still vibrate at different time like in reverse or in the low RPM range........it might be a exhaust thing. im not sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem with my 3-month old truck where the vibration takes place as I back out of my driveway and disappears once I am underway. I'll check the intake nex time when its cold.

·
I'm 1 in Southern Ont.
61 Posts
chucks_truck said:
no.....it will still vibrate at different time like in reverse or in the low RPM range........it might be a exhaust thing. im not sure
I think my problem is the same, My truck has some weird annoying lop sided tire sound/vibration. Tire shop said it was the truck, dealer said it was the tires. Needless to say I've gotten no where with this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well on cold start ups I have a rough idle for the first few minutes, it idles around 1500 and the truck vibrates for a few minutes and then goes away as the idle drops down. The truck has been like this since new and now I have 6,500 miles and it's the same. Should I take it back to the dealer and get them to check it...??? It doesn't seem normal to me, but this is my first Toyota. Should I be concerned...???

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
well that high idle is some warm up thing.......mine doesn't make (excessive) noise except when i put it to second gear like @1100-1300 RPMs. then as the RPS go higher it goes away....i think its one of the hangers that the exhaust hangs on, because it seems to come from the floorboard area, not the intake area.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
ivad32 said:
I have the same problem with my 3-month old truck where the vibration takes place as I back out of my driveway and disappears once I am underway. I'll check the intake nex time when its cold.
thats what mine did too. check where the intake goes into the fender and see if it is close anywhere and adjust it if needed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would think its viscosity of the oil. On cold start up the oil is thick and cold, the engines rev's higher, lube oil presssure is higher and vibration is noticeable. Try letting the vechicle warm up before driving or if anyone has a block heater try that.

·
Taco4life
06Prerunnerlbsport
199 Posts
chucks_truck said:
well that high idle is some warm up thing.......mine doesn't make (excessive) noise except when i put it to second gear like @1100-1300 RPMs. then as the RPS go higher it goes away....i think its one of the hangers that the exhaust hangs on, because it seems to come from the floorboard area, not the intake area.........
mine is definitely coming from the airbox area. when I changed my airfilter, the sound became more abrupt. i still have the noise but haven't taken it in yet/ I don't feel like my vehicle is damaged in any way, just gets annoying because I hear it on almost every startup.

·
07 DCab Taco
Tacoma
7 Posts
Any luck with this vibration fix?

mountain lion said:
I have something similar...passenger side, only when cold. I only hear it as soon as i throw it into drive or reverse and start moving. Almost sounds like brake is kinda stuck....Dunno...
I have the same issue with my 07 Taco and can't seem to make it go away. I haven't tried the dealership yet because I don't have the time to take my truck to them and then let it sit long enough to "go cold" again so that it will make the noise on start-up.

Just curious if anyone has a sure fire fix for this.

Thanks,

ET07

·
Registered
19 Posts
JETHRO said:
i think i may have had this problem and fixed it with a phillips screwdriver. where the intake goes into the fender its not exactly centered. i just loosened up the clamp that is closest to the air cleaner and just gave it a counterclockwise twist. i only moved it about 1/8" but that was enough to get it to stop.
if you can pinpoint it to where the tube goes into the fender then this is how to do it.

·
TN ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
2006 Tundra 4X4
148 Posts
bluestreak05 said:
I would think its viscosity of the oil. On cold start up the oil is thick and cold, the engines rev's higher, lube oil presssure is higher and vibration is noticeable. Try letting the vechicle warm up before driving or if anyone has a block heater try that.
you know thats true, becuase it only seems to do that when its cold or just after starting up (and moving)......sometimes i let it warm up for a minute or two and it does not do it ( or very little) compared to what it does after not letting it warm up......so i can see why it could be the oil........but sometimes i drive it......and its warm.............it does make the sound a little bit in reverse (so just that initial start-up might do it) so i think your right...........................unless i got something else rattleling :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts