Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Tacoma DCSB V6 4x4 SR5 with leaf spring TSB and have had virtually no problems.

I have an LSD rear. Nov 12th, 2008 with 21,046 miles, I had the fluid changed by the dealer because it would squeal the tires when turning from a stop and accelerating. This was in drive. They replaced the slip diff oil and 1 LSD add. That fixed the problem.

I had Firestone Destination A/T tires put on last in Nov 09 to replace the crappy Dunlops.<<<I don't know if this means anything.

I have noticed, just in the last couple of weeks, when I am leaving work, and I back up turning out of my parking spot, the whole truck starts vibrating slightly. It feels like the source is from the rear. Once the truck is warm, this behavior stops. I can only duplicate it when leaving work as stated above, after it has been sitting there for 9 hours. It is very noticeable. There is a stop sign right after I leave the parking lot and I have to turn from a stop. I don't notice it then. Only when backing up and turning out of my parking spot at work from a cold start.

The parking lot is not in the best shape, it does have slight cracks, etc., but I have never noticed this behavior until recently. I have even parked in completely different spots at work....same effect. I thought it may be my rear brakes, but today I let off my brakes and it persisted. I have been watching for it, and today it was most noticeable. When I leave my home in the morning and back out, I don't notice it.

I only have about 32,000 miles on it (31,111 to be exact).

What could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Are you engaging the e-brake when you're parked at work?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you engaging the e-brake when you're parked at work?
No. I checked the e-brake the other day thinking the same thing. I engaged and disengaged it about four times in a row to make sure it was fully released. I almost never use the e-brake....but......

I had used it a couple of weeks ago, because I was yanking dirt/mulch out that I had laid on a tarp in the bed. I took four loads, and on one of then, I forgot to disengage the e-brake and just put in drive. I barely gassed it and immediately knew what was going on and disengaged it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 2007 Tacoma does the same thing when backing out of a parking place after it's been parked for numerous hours, both at the house and at work. It only does it when backing up, and only when the truck is cold. It goes away quickly, but it is disconcerting because it never used to do that.
I also did the Diff fluid change a year ago, but just started having this issue maybe 4 or 5 months ago.
I had been thinking that since it only happens when backing up "cold" maybe the fluid wasn't covering all the gears and that was causing the shuddering...but I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2007 Tacoma does the same thing when backing out of a parking place after it's been parked for numerous hours, both at the house and at work. It only does it when backing up, and only when the truck is cold. It goes away quickly, but it is disconcerting because it never used to do that.
I also did the Diff fluid change a year ago, but just started having this issue maybe 4 or 5 months ago.
I had been thinking that since it only happens when backing up "cold" maybe the fluid wasn't covering all the gears and that was causing the shuddering...but I'm just guessing.
This morning, when I left home on a cold start and backed out turning the wheel, I did not feel the shudder.

So I drove to work and parked in the same place as yesterday. I then stopped, put it in reverse and backed out just like when I left work the day before. No shudder at all.

Really makes me wonder now. I don't do a lot of driving in reverse....LOL.

I will update after I get home from work to let you know if it does it again leaving work.

My driveway at home is much smoother asphalt. The asphalt at my works parking lot has cracks that look like dry skin. It is pretty rough. They usually fill it and reseal it every few years and it needs it.

I wonder if it is a combination of the rough asphalt, the rear-end being cold, and the fact the the LSD on these trucks is pretty damn tight. I almost wish I would have bought a PreRunner it grips so well. This winter we had a lot of snow on the ground for 3 months here in Kansas City, and I probably could have got around without 4x4 the rear grips so well.

Will keep up to date.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This is common for limited slip differentials. Do a search. There's probably a thousand posts about it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is common for limited slip differentials. Do a search. There's probably a thousand posts about it.
I did do a search.

Could you point me to another post? I would appreciate it.

I was also wondering why I am just now starting to notice this.

Thanks for the response. I am leaving work in 20 minutes so............

·
Registered
76 Posts
When my truck was about a month old it had a loud vibrating sound only when it was cold and only when backing up.

With some help I popped the hood and listened. It was coming from the engine compartment. There was a tsb or something about it. It was an easy fix. They put foam around something that was vibrating. I'll have to check my post history.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I backed up straight leaving work and no shudder. I then turned sharp while rolling backwards and there it was. Has to be the LSD binding on cold fluid in reverse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I backed up straight leaving work and no shudder. I then turned sharp while rolling backwards and there it was. Has to be the LSD binding on cold fluid in reverse.
Not trying to be a smart-ass, but try backing into your parking spot and pulling out at the end of the day.:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
You know what was weird? Mine didn't shudder yesterday either.... Maybe the moons gravitational pull had something to do with our LSD's acting normal yesterday.:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I did do a search.

Could you point me to another post? I would appreciate it.

I was also wondering why I am just now starting to notice this.
I just tried searching in this section with the terms "lsd" and "shudder" and I received a page full of relevant threads. Took me about 20 seconds. The answers to all your questions are there.

·
Reset Engineer
2007 TRD Tacoma
108 Posts
When my truck was about a month old it had a loud vibrating sound only when it was cold and only when backing up.

With some help I popped the hood and listened. It was coming from the engine compartment. There was a tsb or something about it. It was an easy fix. They put foam around something that was vibrating. I'll have to check my post history.

So where is it man? :)

I have this problem just started a week ago. I can hear it in the engine bay, sounded like a vibrating plastic to metal. Damn I cant find it. Mine is 07 model 107,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So where is it man? :)

I have this problem just started a week ago. I can hear it in the engine bay, sounded like a vibrating plastic to metal. Damn I cant find it. Mine is 07 model 107,000 miles on it.
I want to say it was an airbox lid. I checked my old posts and I don't see where I posted the solution.

I'll keep searching as it's bugging me that I can't remember.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Found it! I think...

EG046-06 AUG 06 Intake System - Air Intake Hose Rattle

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/127749-2005-technical-service-bulletins/

Scroll down till you see the PDF which describes the issue.

"Some 2005 – 2006 model year Tacoma customers (1GR–FE only) may complain of a
rattle noise from the right front fender area while the vehicle is idling in drive or reverse.
The air intake hose assembly has been improved to reduce noise from contact between
the air intake hose assembly and fender."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Found it! I think...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/127749-2005-technical-service-bulletins/

rattle noise from the right front fender area while the vehicle is idling in drive or reverse.
The air intake hose assembly has been improved to reduce noise from contact between
Oh yeah. It's loud as F. First time I heard it I was backing out of a motel parking space about 5:00 in the morning. Freaked me out.

I fixed my own by adding additional foam rubber (door insulation) where the intake goes through the fender.

·
Registered
Tacoma.
299 Posts
Found it! I think...

Does that Service Bulletin apply to the 08? So basically the dealership will fix it for free? If not, does anyone have an inexpensive "how to" to DIY? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The dealership fixed mine for free. I'd hope they'd fix an 08 unless you have 120k miles on it.

If yours is making the noise it might be worth a trip to the dealership. At the time mine didn't know anything about it. I had to give them the numbers to look it up. The trucks hadn't been out all that long though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts