Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, ever since i've had my car ('96 4-cyl LE) i've been meaning to give it a wash. My main concern are the windows. The windshield looks like it's got little beads of sap all over it, but no matter how hard i scratch it with my fingernails, it won't come off. Is there any chemical that's easy on glass but will take that off? I haven't even had the time to try windex, so i don't know if it'll work.

Also, all my side windows and rear window take moisture and turn it into a solid opaque annoyance. If it's been drizzling all night I have to use my rear defroster just so I can see out the back. Not even cold, just wet. Is there some sort of treatment I can do so the water beads up unstead of misting out and causing visibility issues?

One more thing. All my side windows and my rear window have a really weak tint on them. The tint was on there when I got the car, and the driver's window is in sad shape. Because it's always going up and down, the tint has peeled off the lower 2 inches of the window. I want to get rid of the tint completely and maybe have it retinted a little darker. How do I get the tint off completely? Where it's come off by itself on the driver's window, it's left a thick, opaque adhesive. Is there another chemical that can take that off?

Also, should I attempt to remove the tint myself or is there a good chance i'll break something? That rear tint is bubbled, and combined with the morning fogging issue, some mornings I have to drive fast enough that I only have to worry about things in front of me.

·
4,180 Posts
Novice_cardude said:
Okay, ever since i've had my car ('96 4-cyl LE) i've been meaning to give it a wash. My main concern are the windows. The windshield looks like it's got little beads of sap all over it, but no matter how hard i scratch it with my fingernails, it won't come off. Is there any chemical that's easy on glass but will take that off? I haven't even had the time to try windex, so i don't know if it'll work.

2.Also, all my side windows and rear window take moisture and turn it into a solid opaque annoyance. If it's been drizzling all night I have to use my rear defroster just so I can see out the back. Not even cold, just wet. Is there some sort of treatment I can do so the water beads up unstead of misting out and causing visibility issues?

3.One more thing. All my side windows and my rear window have a really weak tint on them. The tint was on there when I got the car, and the driver's window is in sad shape. Because it's always going up and down, the tint has peeled off the lower 2 inches of the window. I want to get rid of the tint completely and maybe have it retinted a little darker. How do I get the tint off completely? Where it's come off by itself on the driver's window, it's left a thick, opaque adhesive. Is there another chemical that can take that off?

Also, should I attempt to remove the tint myself or is there a good chance i'll break something? That rear tint is bubbled, and combined with the morning fogging issue, some mornings I have to drive fast enough that I only have to worry about things in front of me.
1. Use windex and a razor blade

2. Rain-X on all the windows

3. If you are going to get the car tinted, let them worry about removing the old tint and adhesive, if you take it off yourself and want to remove the adhesive, do a google search to see what people recommend.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
To remove adhesive use 3M Gum and Adhesive remover on a rag. Just don't let the stuff touch any plastic parts; it will etch them. If the Windex doesn't work on the stuff on the outside of the windows, the 3M stuff will probably work there too. It's around $10-$12 for a quart can.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Rain X, they also have a interior fog preventer as well.

in terms of the little beads that look like sap that you cant get off...i've had those for ages...i think they're more like tiny window chips that get magnified in the sun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts