Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I always thought my MPG was lower than "normal" but I guess it really isn't as bad as it seems. I don't drive far and I am typically hard on the pedal so it is not that much of a surprise that I get some "low" mpg every so often but it seems to remain consistent. I still plan on recording my fill ups to see how it changes over time and into winter.
  • 25.40 mpg
  • 22.27 mpg
  • 24.28 mpg
  • 28.70 mpg
  • 23 mpg
  • 25 mpg
  • 23.23 mpg
Three Month Average MPG = 24.55 mpg

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i am slowly, but literally reclaiming my mpg back on my 2az-fe after the DIY valve stem seal and soaking the piston, latest tank of gas driven 450 miles, and refilled 15.9 gallon, average, mix driving.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just noticed some of my notes are sorta wrong
xxx.x miles = miles driven since last fill up
xx.xxx gallons = miles driven with previous xx octane
xx octane = current fill up
Example

9/12/19

318 miles / 13.369 gallons (87 octane) = 23.23 mpg
(Kwik Trip only had 87, 88(E15), 91, and diesel)
I used 13.369 gallons of 89 octane since previous fill up. I added 13.369 gallons of 87 octane
10/4/19
365.7 miles / 14.579 gallons (89 octane) = 25.08 mpg
I used 14.579 gallons of 87 octane since previous fill up. I added 14.579 gallons of 89 octane.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,934 Posts
21 or even 24 sustained mpg on these I4's is too low. Heavy foot syndrome I am thinking. I deal with wicked grades on my 22,000 mile/year clock going to work and back and still average 26. But that highway mileage does average out the city mileage a bit.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
21 or even 24 sustained mpg on these I4's is too low. Heavy foot syndrome I am thinking. I deal with wicked grades on my 22,000 mile/year clock going to work and back and still average 26. But that highway mileage does average out the city mileage a bit.
Doing 89 MPH at 3000 RPM does not help 🤑🤮

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive been averaging between 31-35 mpg lately. (mostly hwy driving)
Get about 26-27 in the city.

But Im not a lead foot. I take off from lights like a grandpa, and get up to speed the same.
Highest mpg hwy has been 38 on flat lands.

05 camry 2.4, 287k miles, BP 89 octane

·
Registered
5 Posts
A valve cover gasket leak will have nothing to do with your fuel mileage. The first thing I would check is for brake drag at any of the 4 wheels.

Mike
This is an incorrect statement.

The valve cover gasket allows the engine to hold a vacuum and not get any "unmetered air leaks". An unmetered air leak will cause the O2 sensors to read "lean", thus telling the computer to increase fueling and holding the injectors open longer, decreasing fuel mileage.

I noticed about a 2 MPG (27 MPG to 29 MPG) increase by changing the oil fill cap gasket on our 2007 Camry XLE.

Therefore, if your VC gasket is leaking, or your oil fill cap is leaking, you are drawing in unmetered air and decreasing your mileage. It is essentially equivalent to a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure I understand. The O2 sensor reads oxygen from the exhaust stream. How does crankcase air from a bad oil filler cap seal or valve cover gasket get into that? Unmetered air comes either from leaks after the mass air flow sensor on the intake side or exhaust manifold or pipe leaks ahead of the O2 sensor on the exhaust side. A leaking EGR valve can goof up fuel trim readings also. Here’s a test: connect a scan tool that reads live short term fuel trim data and unscrew your oil filler cap a bit while monitoring. It’s shouldn’t change a bit, but if it does, hopefully someone here can explain it.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
208 Posts
Winter fuel blends contain ISO to prevent freezing in the lines. This reduces fuel efficiency.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts