Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just recently bought an OBDLINK LX to try out. I also downloaded the OBDLINK app too that it was designed exclusively for. So far it seems decent but I also do not believe I am getting that fast PID read that I was expecting compared to the generic bluetooth OBD2 scanner I had before that i used with Torque Pro. Despite that, the OBDLINK is able to access a lot more in comparison as long as you are willing to pay an extra $10 for access.
This access gives you access to the following modules:
  • Generic OBD2
    • Included modules on Network A
    • I believe this is the default OBD2 that you get. It will read the basics that most OBD2 scanners will read along with some live data.
  • Network A
    • ABS/VSC/TRAC
    • Air Conditioner
    • Combination Meter
    • Cruise Control
    • Engine and Electronic Controlled Transmission
  • Tire Pressure Monitor
  • SRS Airbag
  • Occupant Detection
  • Immobilizer
  • Network F
    • Accessory Gateway
    • Driver Power Window
    • Main Body
    • Sliding Roof
    • Theft Deterrent
You can only access each module one at a time, for example you cannot see TPMS info when you are looking at Network A. I heard you might be able to do this in Torque Pro but you would need the PIDs to see it. I wanna say just about all of the live data you will see is the same as you would see if using a TechStream so there is a lot of good information separated into different modules. From the looks of it, it may be able to read all codes whether that is an engine code to an airbag code to an ABS code but I have not tried it out yet.

I believe the main reason why my PID speeds are not as fast as I expect them to be may be due to the vehicle itself and not the scanner. When I first got it I did a firmware update then later on it looked like the PID speeds were a bit slow. I removed the scanner from my bluetooth list and I did a factory reset on the scanner and that seems to have made the speeds faster than before.

There are other versions of OBDLINK that can give you access to GM and Ford CANBUS systems in addition to having access to all "Enhanced OEM Add-Ons" so this way you would not need to pay $10 for each year and model of vehicle you want to look at as that is how it looks like they are separated out. $10 for 2008 Camry, $10 for 2009 Camry, $10 for 2010 Camry, etc. But if you do pay, you get essetially full access. I like this method better than when I tried the Carista App which seems to ask for a payment for each (ABS) code you want to read.

If you are looking for a decent OBD2 reader, this one may be a good choice.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,075 Posts
I will be looking into a more advanced scanner like a Launch. Torque pro is good enough, but to test functions like say an evap code, you can't test it within the scanner.

Yes, it's possible with a DMM and a test light, but we will see.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be looking into a more advanced scanner like a Launch. Torque pro is good enough, but to test functions like say an evap code, you can't test it within the scanner.

Yes, it's possible with a DMM and a test light, but we will see.
By that point, you may be better off getting the advanced diagnostic tools (or maybe a TechStream).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,075 Posts
I considered this, but techstream is specific. We own 1 Toyota and 1 Mazda. It's an option though.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I considered this, but techstream is specific. We own 1 Toyota and 1 Mazda. It's an option though.
The big game of it is, how universal is that "universal" tool is. Since my ran a shop, he got a Snap-On Advanced Diagnostic Tool. What price, probably over $7500 used since they go for like $10,000. Upgrades are an additional $5000. I'm weak with vehicle evap diagnostics so I will struggle when that time comes.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,075 Posts
The launch is like $600. It's not a $10k snap on. Both SMA and PHAD did reviews on the Launch. PHAD used the smaller handheld, whilst SMA used the tablet version. Both did well in their tests and everyday use. I see SMA still using it. PHAD switches back and forth depending on the vehicle.

You should watch PHAD (Pine Hallow Diagnostics) and South Main Auto on YouTube. They both get frustrated when their snap on can't communicate with newer model vehicles. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The launch is like $600. It's not a $10k snap on. Both SMA and PHAD did reviews on the Launch. PHAD used the smaller handheld, whilst SMA used the tablet version. Both did well in their tests and everyday use. I see SMA still using it. PHAD switches back and forth depending on the vehicle.

You should watch PHAD (Pine Hallow Diagnostics) and South Main Auto on YouTube. They both get frustrated when their snap on can't communicate with newer model vehicles. Go figure.
Update gotta update. Not much you can do about it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,075 Posts
I know launch charges a fee. Don't think it's for updates as they become available. More like a monthly access fee.

It's better than paying $5k to snap on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Torque Pro is a good app to use with that scanner.

My old romanian made obdii scanner died, so I had to buy another.

So I bought a bluedriver. You cant use torque with it, but bluedriver has a pretty good app.
I like that you can bring up possible and sure fixes, for each particular problem code, for that car/truck.

Expensive at $99, but it all depends on your budget.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Torque Pro is a good app to use with that scanner.

My old romanian made obdii scanner died, so I had to buy another.

So I bought a bluedriver. You cant use torque with it, but bluedriver has a pretty good app.
I like that you can bring up possible and sure fixes, for each particular problem code, for that car/truck.

Expensive at $99, but it all depends on your budget.
Torque Pro is a good app, you just don't have the PIDs or access to other networks like TPMS.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it does turn out that the OBDLINK can read ABS codes as while the CEL did not turn on, the car has been feeling awkward lately. Interesting how it is both rear speed sensors though I can't think of anything that would cause them... I didn't drive during the snowstorm either. I already erased them so we'll see if they come back.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some body codes too that the OBDLINK can do... I only scanned my car again since I had those C-codes only to find this B-code. However, I am mostly hoping it is temporarily since it is winter so I did not clear the code since it does not turn on my CEL

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I have the OBD MX that I use with OBD Link and Torque and I like it, but as some have mentioned more in depth diagnostics would be nice and I cannot justify $10,000 for a Snap On Diagnostic computer..... So what are the reasonable / more advanced tools that can be purchased? I have never heard of Launch and Tech Stream is Toyota/ Lexus Specific right (and how much?)

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are many brands of OBD-II readers (and OBD-II Bluetooth Dongles that can be used with the appropriate apps) that can read the full complement of codes that are part of the OBD core standard along with ABS and SRS codes, as well as manufacturer specific codes.

I have an older Innova reader that does not do ABS/SRS but does have the on-board library for manufacturer specific codes. I must admit that I use it seldom these days because the vast majority of codes anyone will ever encounter will be from those specified in the core standard, and the P-codes in particular. Innova currently sells a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter, which they did not when I bought my 3130 reader. I see they also now have dedicated SRS and ABS readers capable of clearing codes thrown by those systems.

But there are scads of options. Just know how "deep under the hood" you want to go. For myself, I know I won't ever be trying to repair an antilock braking system at home or an airbag system, either. So though it might be nice to know the codes either one of these systems have thrown before I went to a professional shop for repair, that's still what I'd be doing.

A Bluetooth OBD-II adapter that handles the codes you care about: core spec, ABS, and/or SRS along with a companion app for your smartphone is probably the easiest option. If the adapter has an On/Off switch on it, you can even leave it plugged in to your OBD port and turned off when not in use.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,075 Posts
Launch is based on Android. It functions like a verus or a high end scan tool. Haven't really found much info as to what if any extra fee in addition to the tool itself yet. Based on pricing, I think there's a charge for licensing that they pay to the manufacturers.

The tool is valuable as mentioned above. But, you need to be careful with a tool that is bi-directional in nature. You could do more harm. The difference here, is that the verus has a built in oscilloscope while the launch is just a scan tool with graph and bi-directional controls.

Unless you want to really get into reading the different wave forms, buy a used snap on from eBay or even your local snap on truck. Never will know if the driver will give you an awesome deal or not.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's more than plenty of tools out there, a lot of it just depends on how far you are willing to go on repairs. So far, the OBDLINK seems to have "the basics" of what I need and anything advanced I will figure out myself along the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts