Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Custom User Title
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GOLETA, Calif., March 13 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) will road test lithium-ion battery packs for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid beginning in July, slightly later than expected, Chief Executive Bob Lutz said on Thursday.
In an interview with Reuters, Lutz also said that GM may not name a battery supplier for the Volt's next-generation lithium-ion power supply until the second half of the year.
"We were hoping to do that in the first half," he said when asked when GM would name a battery supplier. "That may also be a little bit longer now, as we need a better handle on who has the technological capability we need and who is going to have the production capability." (Reporting by Nichola Groom, editing by Leslie Gevirtz)
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1334279820080313

They want to mass produce this in less than 2 years and:
we need a better handle on who has the technological capability we need and who is going to have the production capability.
wtf?

when asked when GM would name a battery supplier. "That may also be a little bit longer now,
No shiat.

"We were hoping to do that in the first half,"
No, you said "around Easter a lot of people will have egg on their face" You didn't say "we are hoping". I suppose he didn't say Easter 2008. Maybe 2011 or 2012.

Fan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The all-knowing, all-powerful, omnipotent Mr. Lutz has spoken: Easter 2008 has been indefinitely postponed.

It is nice to have someone at the top who is bluntly honest, but with it there must come some responsibility: that person must avoid the "shoot first, ask questions later" urge. It looks like Mr. Lutz has forgotten the latter.

·
Banned
0 Posts
:deadhorse:blah::blah:

2010....2011....2012....who cares, they're doing it aren't they?

Again, Fan, you are truly showing your concern over this Volt's development. Do you include it's failure in your prayers every night?

Let's see, GM is aggressively pursuing this new technology, as well as several other alternative fuel vehicles. They are also coming out with another Camaro, even though they already have the Corvette. All while Toyota is still making boring appliances such as the Camry and Corolla. Woohoo!!! Oh, and the Prius, which leaves a larger carbon footprint than a Hummer H2.

·
IROC-IT-ALL-NIGHT-LONG
1995 Corolla
348 Posts
GM is soo stupid for promising a product and then actually delivering it at a later time. I like how Toyota does it, we won't tell you if we're going to make anything other than Corollas and Camrys unless it'll be out of your reach like the new IS F.

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts
Fan just can't stop obsessing over the Volt. I like Mustangs a lot, but even I don't obsess over them that much. Fan must really want one when it comes out as he has been ever so diligently following its development!

·
Custom User Title
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fan just can't stop obsessing over the Volt. I like Mustangs a lot, but even I don't obsess over them that much. Fan must really want one when it comes out as he has been ever so diligently following its development!
First off, I'm following it's lack of development.

and b. I care more about GM lies than i do the Volt. The Volt just happens to be the latest GM lie. It's also appearing that it will be one of it's biggest.

Fan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
One question....WHY?
Fan does not require me to defend him, so I will not try, but I would like to add a reason or two why we find this so interesting.

Mr. Lutz, and by extension GM (since Bob Lutz has become the personification of GM) is very colourful, and since colour sells news, he is newsworthy. GM is newsworthy, especially compared to Ford (selling another asset in an effort to stay afloat -- so what? -- that is no longer news) or Chrysler (forcing a 2-week vacation on everybody in an effort to cut costs -- so what? -- that is no longer news).

Mr. Lutz is blunt, but he has a great tendency to let his mouth get ahead of his brain, to "shoot first and ask questions later", and thereby say things that should have been left unsaid, even making promises that cannot be kept. We were led to believe when GM hired Bob Lutz that it was on the path to becoming a different company, a car company led by car people, and would start being able to deliver what they promised, rather than the "over promise, under-deliver" which we had become so used to with the old GM.

Yet, the shenanigans surrounding the Volt seem to be proving that the old GM is still around. Mr. Lutz led us to believe that the Volt would be the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, and that come hell or high water, the battery would be rolling by Easter 2008. Now, we get news that the deadlines will not and cannot be met, but instead of a humble apology (which the Japanese and Koreans have turned into a fine art, and should have taught Bob Lutz), we get bluster and blaming the suppliers.

Those of us who would like to believe that GM has put behind it the "over promise, under-deliver" culture cannot help but think that it is the same old, same old with GM, that nothing has changed. Prove to us otherwise and we will become less obsessed with GM's lies.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.