Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 Camry XLE 6cyl. About a year ago my VSC and TRAC lights started coming on and staying on. Over time, they stopped coming on and I never knew the cause.The only thing I did was the old disconnect then reconnect the battery trick, and patiently let the engine's computer "relearn" the program. Recently I had my front motor mount replaced. There is a small fuse box at the front of the engine that handles the ABS, VSC, and TRAC systems. After driving away from the mechanics shop the VSC and TRAC lights came on again. I took it back and they cleared the system and the lights went off...till I left the garage again. My guess is that there is loose wire to this box or something just as simple. Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have them pull the code for it to narrow your search down, no sense throwing darts at it. You are probably right they left something disconnected or maybe broke a wire. You could look around the motor mount that was replaced for a disconnected wheel speed sensor or something like that.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have them pull the code for it to narrow your search down, no sense throwing darts at it. You are probably right they left something disconnected or maybe broke a wire. You could look around the motor mount that was replaced for a disconnected wheel speed sensor or something like that.
I will be looking into this speed sensor wiring you mention. Odd tho, because the first time that I had these lights come on no maintenance had been performed, where this time the lights came on after the front engine mount replacement. I'm having other minor maintenance done at another location, I will get their opinion.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was at a different auto shop for some work and asked them about the VSC and TRAC lights. They ran the test and told me that I have to take it to the dealer to have something reset because some memory was lost due to something being disconnected for these systems. Like I said, yes, this time I had work done, but the last time these light came on no work had been done on the car. I cringe at the thought of Toyota's shop charges, but what else can I do? Disconnect the battery and reconnect? Don't think that will work this time. Come on tax refund.

·
Registered
2003 4Runner LTD V8 4x4
1 Posts
What you are describing sounds like a Zero Point Calibration. That is what "teaches" the car what it means to be completely flat and level, and is used as a basepoint for all the stability and traction system. That way the car "knows" when it's tilting too far one way or the other and will activate various systems to keep the rubber side down, the noisy part in front, and the seat covers clean.

I'm hesitant to give a lot of hard definitive info because I am unfamiliar with the Camry/Solara System (I'm a novice here, but very well versed in the 4Runner scene.)

Here's a little something to ponder. Some quick googling tells me that it's a similar system and procedure:
On the early 4th gen (03-04) 4Runners, the communication protocol had a strange quirk which caused the Zero Point data to be wiped out whenever the Check Engine light codes were cleared. If the Camry vehicle group used the same systems as the 4Runner (which does stand to reason) then this is likely what you need to do. One of our telltale signs that it's a ZPC issue is if the lights are OFF when you start the engine, but illuminate as soon as you shift into gear/start motion.

There are several ways to fix this... one is to go to the dealer and have them do it. There are also procedures posted here on ToyotaNation describing the Zero Point Calibration process. You have to climb under the dash and use paperclips or wires and do a little dance. Another way is using something called the Zero Hero, but being new to the forum and not being a registered sponsor I don't know what the rules are about discussing products.

·
Registered
'03 Camry XLE
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you are describing sounds like a Zero Point Calibration. That is what "teaches" the car what it means to be completely flat and level, and is used as a basepoint for all the stability and traction system. That way the car "knows" when it's tilting too far one way or the other and will activate various systems to keep the rubber side down, the noisy part in front, and the seat covers clean.

I'm hesitant to give a lot of hard definitive info because I am unfamiliar with the Camry/Solara System (I'm a novice here, but very well versed in the 4Runner scene.)

Here's a little something to ponder. Some quick googling tells me that it's a similar system and procedure:
On the early 4th gen (03-04) 4Runners, the communication protocol had a strange quirk which caused the Zero Point data to be wiped out whenever the Check Engine light codes were cleared. If the Camry vehicle group used the same systems as the 4Runner (which does stand to reason) then this is likely what you need to do. One of our telltale signs that it's a ZPC issue is if the lights are OFF when you start the engine, but illuminate as soon as you shift into gear/start motion.

There are several ways to fix this... one is to go to the dealer and have them do it. There are also procedures posted here on ToyotaNation describing the Zero Point Calibration process. You have to climb under the dash and use paperclips or wires and do a little dance. Another way is using something called the Zero Hero, but being new to the forum and not being a registered sponsor I don't know what the rules are about discussing products.
Interesting. I just watched a couple videos on the subject. I've always said that if it can't be done with a hammer or a pair of Channel Locks then it doesn't need to be done. Now I will have to add paper clips to the list. Thanks for the info...until after I try it, anyway. And doityourselfer1955 just HAS to try it himself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts