Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my loose battery terminals my VSC and TRAC lights won't go out now. These lights would occasionally come on but if I turned the truck off and back on they would go away.

I've tried checking the gas cap, the rubber o-ring seems fine. I can also hear the built up pressure release when taking the gas cap off.

I also tried the zero point calibration steps listed for a 4runner I found online but the process wasn't identical. I wasn't able to find one specifically for the Sequoia. Any suggestions? I have a strong feeling that I could resolve it if I got q successful zero point calibration. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a sensor likely that's doing it, it's a known problem in Sequoia but you wont find much about it unless u look at older models. I have a 2012 and the 4lo, Trac off and engine light come on and I have had 4 sensors changed and gaskets, they just came back on again so it's back in the shop. Toyota has done recalls for this problem for the older models but not ours that I can find.

·
Registered
2012 Corolla CE
1,077 Posts
You probably forgot to tighten the gas cap last time you filled up.These codes need to be erased with an OBD2 scanner or they will come back. You can buy an OBD2 scanner under $25 that can do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done that, this is a problem that continues to happen and like I said it is noted for the older vehicles but not so much for 2012.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You probably forgot to tighten the gas cap last time you filled up.These codes need to be erased with an OBD2 scanner or they will come back. You can buy an OBD2 scanner under $25 that can do that.
There are 0 codes when I hook it up to my OBDII scanner. I've driven it a couple hundred miles since I worked on the battery. If there were any codes they should have come back by now.
As I said, I doubt it's the gas cap since I can hear it release pressure when undoing the cap on a hot day.

I tried to check for ABS codes, by hooking up a paperclip to the 3rd pin from the left and the 5th pin from the left of the OBDII connector. No luck, and no codes. I followed the article several times and didn't get any info.

·
Registered
'06 Sequoia Limited; 160k miles
59 Posts
go to autozone or local auto parts store.....they will have a professional scanner there for you to use.....hook it up and take back inside store and they will give you a printout of all of your trouble codes if any and a possible solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
go to autozone or local auto parts store.....they will have a professional scanner there for you to use.....hook it up and take back inside store and they will give you a printout of all of your trouble codes if any and a possible solution
Just called all my local stores and they don't have a professional/commercial scanner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where do you live ?.....they must some kind of scantool for you to use.....if you have a cheap one...it probably only reads engine codes.....you need to use a scanner that will interface with all of the modules and ecm within the car...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you live ?.....they must some kind of scantool for you to use.....if you have a cheap one...it probably only reads engine codes.....you need to use a scanner that will interface with all of the modules and ecm within the car...
I may need to edit my original post. I used both of my scan tools. There are NO engine codes and there are NO ABS codes. I just don't have a professional/commercial grade tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does your scanner have the ability to read ABS codes.....? Most cheap scan tools don't. Forget about your paperclip method. Get a professional scantool to hook up...and read your codes accurately....

What parts stores are in your village ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your scanner have the ability to read ABS codes.....? Most cheap scan tools don't. Forget about your paperclip method. Get a professional scantool to hook up...and read your codes accurately....

What parts stores are in your village ?
Yeah I do, it's a Innova 5210. I basically specify connecting to the ABS module, fill in my specific vehicle info. 2002 Toyota Sequoia with the 5.7 and supercharger
I tried the OBDI style paperclip method hoping to get something. It was a longshot.

My village has an AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Carquest and Nappa. They all have basic check engine scanners to borrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears you have a reliable scanner
I took it to the local village chief to do an oil change and check everything over again with their scanner. They said I have no engine or abs codes. He seems to think the TRAC OFF button doesn't work so we can't turn the traction control back on.

I removed that entire control board and tried to test the TRAC OFF button. Used this article Link
GND and CSW*2 seem to behave normally
GND and CSW*1 doesn't seem to behave as the article specifies, however it's a bit difficult of a read.

Any other ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts