Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a trip the VSC light and check engine light on my wife's 2001 highlander (v6 AWD) came on.
turns out the oxygen sensor near the catalitic converter fell off!
her brother screwed it back on as best he could to get her home.
the lights eventually went out.
it loosened up again and the lights came back on. I got a gasket and cleaned up the threads, put it all back together.
I disconected the battery and drove it for 30 miles.
the check engine light is now off but the VSC light is still on.
does anyone know what might have caused this.
I know I will more than likely have to take it to toyota but would like to fix it myself if I can.
also will it pass inspection with the VSC light on?
the inspection is up at the end of the month and my wife is starting to panic.
any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have same problem VSC light was on after timing belt replacement. I tried resetting it through disconnecting the battery but it came back after driving it for 20km. Any idea whats causing it?

·
Squirrel Chaser Extraordinaire
2004 Highlander Base
269 Posts
Found via Google:

"How to Reset a VSC Light on a Highlander

The Toyota Highlander is a midsize sport utility vehicle that features all-wheel-drive, an automatic transmission, third-row seating in several creature comfort options. Standard safety options include a tire pressure monitoring system, air bags and a vehicle stability control system. Certain vehicle malfunctions may impede the vehicle stability control system, causing the "VSC" light to appear on the dashboard. Resetting the VSC warning light that appears on your vehicle's dashboard may be possible by performing a simple repair.

Step 1
Shut off the vehicle's engine and apply the parking brake to protect yourself while working on the vehicle.

Step 2
Open the vehicle's hood and examine the engine compartment. Locate the air filter box mounted to the left of the engine. The air filter box features a black exterior, square in shape, and a large ribbed intake hose.

Step 3
Check all of the small black vacuum lines surrounding the air filter box. Reconnect any disconnected or loose vacuum lines you find.

Step 4
Start the engine and drive the vehicle to clear the "VSC" warning light displayed on the dashboard. If the VSC light fails to go out after driving the vehicle normally, proceed to the next step.

Park the vehicle, turn off the engine and set the parking brake. Open the vehicle's hood and disconnect the battery's negative cable for 15 seconds, using an appropriate size socket. Disconnecting the negative battery cable will reset the vehicle's computer and clear the "VSC" warning.

Items you will need
Ratchet and socket set."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for.your advise, had done it couple times but it vsc and check engine light will be on after 20 minute drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took it to the shop today, according to the mechanic its the camshaft position sensor that is faulty.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
766 Posts
We get the same thing on our 01 from time to time. Shows up as an issue in the EVAP system. Not sure what it is, so I just reset it every couple weeks :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts