Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited AWD, 95K miles. I replaced he driver rear brake rotor and brake pads with new. and reassembled, but then a "check VSC message" shows on the dash. I have BlueDriver OBD scan tool and it read C1344 (hydraulic rear brake malfunction) and cleared the code, but it comes back on the second I apply the brakes. Internet searching suggested a sensor detected a "leak" caused by when I opened the caliper during reassembly. Is it possible that I caused a leak somewhere when ? I don't see fluid anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
Ahem, and why did you open the caliper? Rotor and pads replacement does not require that. As the result, you have problem.
At the least, it is trip to dealer to bleed brakes as bleeding involves Techstream and is several pages protocol.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
What am I talking about?
I am talking about having hundreds of pads replaced and NEVER needing to open bleeder screw to retract caliper. Never. Including 2 hybrids. And well over 30 other cars I owned and family cars and friends cars. Of makes various.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you talking about? Who said anything about opening a bleeder screw to retract a caliper? They should change your title from Super Moderator to Stupid Moderator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited AWD, 95K miles. I replaced he driver rear brake rotor and brake pads with new. and reassembled, but then a "check VSC message" shows on the dash. I have BlueDriver OBD scan tool and it read C1344 (hydraulic rear brake malfunction) and cleared the code, but it comes back on the second I apply the brakes. Internet searching suggested a sensor detected a "leak" caused by when I opened the caliper during reassembly. Is it possible that I caused a leak somewhere when? I don't see fluid anywhere.
What is the rear brake rotor or are you referring to the rear bearing? Just curious.

More so, tagging a professional colleague, as stupid is so unethical and immoral. Kindly, apologize as the need signifies a cordial relationship.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was told that my front brake pads were at 6mm 3000 miles ago. I found that brake pads thickness isn't easy to look at on this HiHy. Plan on looking at them when rotating tires during oil change. Anticipating future needs, how long does 6mm last on this generation? I know it depends on the driver, but on average. On rear brake pads at 4mm, several shops told me to anticipating replacing in 10-20k miles. Thanks!

Also, do the front rotors need resurfacing typically? How do I know if it needs to? I figure if it doesn't need resurfacing, I might attempt to put the new front pads DIY. Or just get new rotors?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahem, I borrowed Toyota's Techstream software and used it to clear the "Check VSC" (C1344 code). The error message has not come back since then, and the problem is considered solved.

I know Ukrkoz has stated repeatedly on these forums that replacing brake pads/bleeding brakes isn't a DIY fix and you should just pay the service department to handle it. My experience was just the opposite of his advice. Literally you just click the "clear DTC codes" button. Glad I didn't take Ukrkoz recommendation and saved myself $$$ and the hassle of a Toyota dealership service center!

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
What are you talking about? Who said anything about opening a bleeder screw to retract a caliper? They should change your title from Super Moderator to Stupid Moderator.
I guess, they should.
a "leak" caused by when I opened the caliper during reassembly.
There is only one way to open the caliper - via bleeder screw. Unless, you had it completely removed/dismantled/reinstalled.
That you had an opportunity to borrow TIS and fix the issue does not mean, that's the right way of doing bleeding. $150 dealer or shop is not that much of money, to take chances.

Unfortunately, dura lex, sed lex.
10. Ideas and opinions may be challenged, but NO personal attacks. Members will not flame, or else warning will be given and penalty will be served.
Calling other members "stupid", moderator or not, is against forum rules. Warning will be served and thread is closed, as resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.