Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Sequoia used that hat 80,000 miles on it. On about our 3rd or 4th long trip the VSC OFF/TRAC OFF lights came on. The car slightly pulled to the right while hearing a grinding sound. The Sequoia now does this more frequently over the last 2-3 years and it is more random. The grinding usually isn't that bad but some times it has been more noticeable than other times. Now it is almost an everyday occurrence. The sequoia now has 190,000 miles on it. I am ready to sell it and buy another sequoia but want to make sure it doesn't have the same issue if not worse because the 2003 (which i might buy) has a recall on some of the vehicles not on the one i'm buying. Anyway if its just an O2 sensor, or Yaw sensor that would be great to know. I do not want to pay 2700$ for a new skid control computer, and brake booster system. If anyone has any success stories on getting to the root of the problem on these vehicles it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Sequoia SR5 4WD
28 Posts
You're better off fixing it than selling it. I have the same issue in my 2001 Sequoia. I pulled the ABS code and it came back as a faulty yaw rate sensor. You can buy this part off eBay for about $110 - $160. The "grinding" sound (which is not really grinding) is the traction-lok feature engaging and trying to control a skid that it is sensing (but isn't really occurring). If you buy another Sequoia, then the odds are probably close to even that it will end up having the same issue. So, in my opinion, fix the vehicle that you know rather than buying a vehicle that you don't know. If you need to pull ABS codes, you can use the method detailed in other threads on the forum (jumping pins on the OBD2 connector) or you can buy a scanner that pulls ABS codes (@ Harborfreight:http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60794.html - often discounted to $89.99). Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.