Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to pull my Canister and the attached VSV from my 98 4cyl camry. I am wondering if anyone knows if i have to jackstand it (to take the weight off the wheels and suspension) of if i can remove the Can. with the car up on ramps in the rear?

Jeff

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
umm...why? I realize KS is a non-emissions testing state, but WHY? it robs NO power whatsoever?

*on the '96, the can is on the left strut tower down near the tranny, under the igniter module. the vsv is most likely on the coolant snout off the back of the motor, connected to the upper rad hose. the '98 probably isn't that different.

·
Defender of the Universe
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a bad can and/or VSV according to the MIL codes. I have a used replacement can that i am putting on. I just don't want to get it all unhooked and find out I have to take the weight off the rear wheels to get it out of the space it is in.

On the 98 at least, the can. is mouted in between the rear wheels just forward of the gas tank. Right above the frame cross member. It is basically a little behind and below your rear if you sit in the center of the rear seat. One of VSV's i mounted to the can and 2nd is in the engine compartment. It is different than the Gen 3's.

Jeff

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
fair enough. no experience there, but you can probably squeeze it out ok without taking the rear subframe off. just understand, the code you got may be in reference to an evap flow issue, most likely based off fuel trims on activation or evap pressure. your problem may not go away, but then again, it might. look for liquid fuel in the can after you take it out. while it's up, look for any obvious damage to evap or other lines under the car. good luck.

·
Defender of the Universe
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the p0441 and p0446 codes. i figured I'd pull the can and check it. There are no obvious leaks form a viasual inspection while it is on the car. I need to clear the lines and check the VSV to see if it si working. Most people end up replacing the rear VSV and then later the can to get this to go away. I figure a close, off car inspection and cleaning of the lines and such ought to be a start and the used can was cheap.

There is one thread on the board that indicated that the can can't come out unless weight id off the wheels, but that guy was admittedly a novice. I will try it this weekend and update.

Jeff

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
hm. I've encountered the p0446 twice in the shop, but both were due to loose gas caps, and neither were accompanied by p0441. I don't know the second, but i'm guessing it's a general evap code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts