Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '98 camry 5SFE both hoses were disconnected from the VSV, are they interchangeable? That is does the VSV work the same way in both directions?

I was able to re-mount the VSV bracket by changing the bolt for a stud + split-lock washer + nut, makes this blind operation much easier.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,431 Posts
On my '98 camry 5SFE both hoses were disconnected from the VSV, are they interchangeable? That is does the VSV work the same way in both directions?

I was able to re-mount the VSV bracket by changing the bolt for a stud + split-lock washer + nut, makes this blind operation much easier.

The hoses are the same type and size (3.5 mm inside diameter), but you can not switch them (meaning that you can not switch their routing). There is a sticker on the underside of the hood which shows the routing for those hoses. You must route it exactly as is shown on the sticker.

I'm a little confused about your remounting of the VSV. Do you mean you used something else instead of the regular bolt (stud + split-lock washer & nut) and still installed the VSV in the exact same location? Relocating it to a more accessible location would be better, causing you to not have to remove the driver's wheel. Can you share a photo of what you did so I can understand better what you did to improve this awful VSV setup that Toyota put on this car?

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,431 Posts
Here is a photo of one of the VSV relocation jobs I did. I relocated the VSV to the intake manifold. There was a threaded hole there, and I bolted it to that location.

I don't have a photo of another VSV relocation job I did, but you can see in the 2nd photo a green circle. It's hard to see, but there is a bolt there on the firewall with a nut that secures the lower brake line bracket. It's on that bolt that I relocated the VSV on a '97 Camry with ABS. The non ABS has one line bracket and is a tighter fit, but still works.

These are just two options of relocation. There are other ways depending on the year. Some years had longer electrical connections and allow you to relocate it to the strut tower or some other place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts