Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering what is the difference in toyotaas VVT-I and their VVTL-I? my friend was arguing with me when i got my 2000 GT-S that it had a VVT-I in it and i told him it was the VVTL-I. now I have seen the VVT-I but i dont know what the difference in the two is.......

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Variable Valve Timing with LIFT Intelegence

aka mo power at higher rpms...essentially the cam lifts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh i get a boost but its at 6000 rpms.....its toyotas version of vtech....but it makes the v-tech feel like it aint got nothing......

·
^
4,197 Posts
VVTi = Variable Valve Timing
VVTLi = Variable Valve Timing with Lift

They both use continually variable cam timing to get the best torque, HP and fuel economy depending on whatever varibles the ecu is offered though various sensors.

The difference between the two is that VVTLi uses a second cam profile designed specifically for high rpm power. If you notice that your car seems to get a bit of a boost around 6700rpm, thats the second cam profile kicking in, otherwise referred to as hitting lift or being in lift. It works similarly to VTEC.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
hmmm....can you move the "lift" point on the vvtli engines?

kinda like moving the vtec point with a vafc?

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
yes and no.....yes you can do it with the computer thingr plugged in, but in terms of having it fixed at that time you cannot.

·
^
4,197 Posts
There is a programmable piggyback computer that would let you change where lift hits, but I don't remember what its called. There isn't anything as simple as a VAFC as far as I know.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
Deep said:
There is a programmable piggyback computer that would let you change where lift hits, but I don't remember what its called. There isn't anything as simple as a VAFC as far as I know.

yeah, that's the impression that I was under too....

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Not as many companies make piggyback's that let you modify and tune VVTL-i\vvt-i, as compared to the number of companies that let you modify v-tec timing\etc.

hrm :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah but you gotta look at it this way.....it seems that v-tech is more popular! i dont see why v-tec isnt anything compared to vvtl-i. if toyota keeps it up with the vvtl-i engine we may see more products to enhance it.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
The sheer joy of hitting lift, shifting of hitting 8500 rpm rev limiter, the sweet engine sound and getting that kick in your back when the lift kicks in is what explains VVTL-i.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i have yet to take a ride in a 2000+ GTS

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
2000GTS said:
yeah but you gotta look at it this way.....it seems that v-tech is more popular! i dont see why v-tec isnt anything compared to vvtl-i. if toyota keeps it up with the vvtl-i engine we may see more products to enhance it.
I know it seems vtec is more popular than vvti because everone talks about it, but its really not... vvti is used by lamborghinis, fords and porches inorder to have more torquey engines.

The difference between vvti and vtec: VTEC "kicks in" at higher rpm levels to improve performance. This does not offer continuous variable valve timing.
Instead of the on/off system that VTEC uses, VVTi offers continuous variable system that maximizes valve timing throughout the rpm range.

Does this mean honda's vtec is not intelligent? The new accords finally upgarde from their older SOHCs to DOHCs, and along with that came iVTEC. Oh but guess what, Toyota already has that covered too with their VVTL-i with is still more superior.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
mr2freak said:
i have yet to take a ride in a 2000+ GTS
I have, I wasn't impressed with its performance at low RPM. I also felt that my camry handled better.

I didn't test it at high RPM's though. Just that little mini-Atuocross event at our last TN meet.

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
^^ but a celica has a high reving engine. Thats when it gets fun. Trust me, if you pushed it, you'd love it. Camry have more low end power, celicas have hi end.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't remember who said it best so forgive fo not remembering your name but...

Vtec is basically: Turbo hype+Turbo Lag-Turbo Power= Vtec.

I seem to favor vvti over LI just because I have a decent almost "boost" from zero to the line compared to a high boost from like 6.5-8, which is why I favor the normal corollas over the XRS. not hating on them just my 2 cents. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
My friend (toyota fan)told me about this discussion since it seemed a little biased. Im not here to flame/troll or anything like that, just a good technical discussion.

There are two different VTEC systems. The first one is the conventional VTEC system which is basically a on/off point and it switches to a bigger cam lobe which basically changes the cam overlap, cam duration and valve lift. Essentially the valve opens longer and lifts higher.

The newest VTEC system implemented by Honda is the i-VTEC system. This is what is currently in the K series engines (RSX Type S, Civic Type R (EP3), Integra Type R (JDM DC5 model), TSX and some of the new accords). This not only has a the mechanism of the conventional VTEC system but it also has the continuous cam timing driven by a VTC (variable timing control) mechanism.

So with this current system. Cam angle is continously varied for economy, low emissions and performance. On the k series it is up to 50 degrees advance and 50 degrees retard. Dont know about the VVTL-i system, maybe one of you can find that and post it up.

Also, some of you are saying the VTEC is all about highend. Sure maybe the conventional VTEC, but the i-VTEC has some madass lowend...especially when tuned with Hondata's K-Pro ECU (i have this and i love it!!). My Type S originally came with a 5800 VTEC point, but with K-Pro i lowered (tuned) it to 4300 and now the midrange is so smooth and pulls strong all the way up. Now dont get me wrong, my car had good midrange stock, but im just saying that with proper tuning it can be made even better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Flea said:
I can't remember who said it best so forgive fo not remembering your name but...

Vtec is basically: Turbo hype+Turbo Lag-Turbo Power= Vtec.

I seem to favor vvti over LI just because I have a decent almost "boost" from zero to the line compared to a high boost from like 6.5-8, which is why I favor the normal corollas over the XRS. not hating on them just my 2 cents. :D
whoever said that obviously doesnt know what VTEC is.
I think thats what a toyota fanboy/ricer would say.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts