Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil leak that I think is coming from the VVT solenoid bolt? Would like to nip it in the bud before it becomes a bigger leak and makes a mess everywhere.

Is leaking out the solenoid bolt even possible? Only thing above the bolt is the VCG. I took the beauty cover off and the VCG is bone dry (knock on wood).

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was leaking so I went ahead and changed the gasket. Three 10s i believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes, I had the same problem. Change the oring on the solenoid. There is also a filter on a bolt under the solenoid, you can clean that out also. In case the bolt comes out without the filter you will have to use tweezers/alligator clip to pull it out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch for posting the link to your thread with the part numbers. I’ll take a look tomorrow to see if it’s coming from the solenoid itself. Look like a leak from the 14mm bolt itself is unlikely since all it houses is the VVT filter?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks a bunch for posting the link to your thread with the part numbers. I’ll take a look tomorrow to see if it’s coming from the solenoid itself. Look like a leak from the 14mm bolt itself is unlikely since all it houses is the VVT filter?
Yes, it can. Ask me how I know.

You could also have additional leaks like valve cover or god forbid, the timing cover. However, the VVTI oring is a cheap and easy fix. I would go for it first and also check the valve cover for leaks (replace the gasket there if necessary), degrease and clean the engine and observe.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it can. Ask me how I know.

You could also have additional leaks like valve cover or god forbid, the timing cover. However, the VVTI oring is a cheap and easy fix. I would go for it first and also check the valve cover for leaks (replace the gasket there if necessary), degrease and clean the engine and observe.
Sounds good, I’ll just order the parts this week from the local dealer and have it squared away. The VCG is bone dry and the timing cover is dry (or at least it looks to be dry in that area).

I’ll order the little filter and the o-ring using the parts list on your thread. That should cover it all or is there anything else I should add to the pets order?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the video I've seen, the solenoid body could be clogged as well. A clean might be necessary or replacement.
I really hope it comes out without too much of a fight and I can clean it all up and fix the leak

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really hope it comes out without too much of a fight and I can clean it all up and fix the leak
I changed out the whole part but probably just needed an o ring. The rubber can leak and it gets in the electrical connector on the left of the vvti solenoid. I actually think my piece was leaking from the circular piece with a circle on the inside. The filter below it doesn't have a rubber gasket. I think it was metal. My leak was slow but I changed it anyway.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I messed around some today after taking off the plastic cover and it looks like the leak is coming purely from the VVTi filter area/14mm bolt and the solenoid itself with the o-ring is dry.

There’s no wetness below or around the 10mm bolt (above the highlighted red arc area).

tried to take a side shot of the area. I would think if the solenoid o-ring was wore out, it would be leaking from the blue area?

The little bolt in the red area seems to be a little sweaty/damp and the the green 14mm bolt as can be seen from both pictures is wet and leaky.

Does this just mean that the VVT filter is clogged and needs a good cleaning? Or do I have to replace the filter?
Also, for the 14mm bolt is there a part number for the gasket so that I can change it out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you clean the bolt with degreaser and check back to see if it is truely leaking? From the factory, mine was on quite tightly. I don't think the filter being clogged will make it leak but I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s actually a great idea! I’ll hit the bolt and the surrounding area with some brake cleaner tomorrow and see if it’s leaking.

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,575 Posts
It looks to me that the solenoid casing has wetness on the inside (towards the middle). Your 14mm bolt is getting oil on it. Clean the area and monitor.

The dry o ring is a sign of not getting oiled. Pull it off and inspect for cracks. Not sure if you can use brake clean on the solenoid or not.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried putting some paper towel under the solenoid to see if it get wet - just some dirt interestingly.
I’ve cleaned the area up and will monitor before I start dismantling things.

Some of the grime is from the factory VCG leaking for a while before I caught it during an oil change and fixed it. So I’m hoping that this oily residue was also part of that. More to come...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drove the car about 40 miles, mostly 75-77 mph on the freeway. Did a couple of hard launches. No leaks so far!! I’m hoping it’s just remainder stuff from the old leaky VCG!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts