Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.... I know the pro mechanic types will say "Akebono this" and "Advics that", but for the money, the Wagner pads and rotors are definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,776 Posts
I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.... I know the pro mechanic types will say "Akebono this" and "Advics that", but for the money, the Wagner pads and rotors are definitely worth a look.
Thanks. Nice to know. Is it ceramic or semi metallic?

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
923 Posts
I recently installed the thermoquiet pads and same brand rotors for the front of my 99 Avy 2000 miles ago. Man, I am thoroughly impressed with the stopping ability and bite of the pads and rotors.
i've had a front pair of the TQ pads +wagner rotors and a second set of TQ pads + centric ctek rotors. with fresh fluid and pads, i like the initial bite. but both times, the fronts get fairly noisy after a cold start, like the sound of the whistling as loud as a garbage truck decelerating.

since we both live in similar climates, how often do you get pad squeal from cold starts moving forward? mine is 99% of the time, only time it doesn't is when i reverse out. hilariously embarrassing in parking garages.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
Thermoquiets are pretty great...I stopped using Akebonos on everything except Japanese cars whose owners want long long long life. Never been satisfied with stock pad bite on any Japanese cars except certain Hondas

Wish I could get Zimmerman rotors for my Toyota crap, but Brembo blanks are pretty nice and easily available nowadays. Oh yeah, also, Brembo ceramics are nice for these as well

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've had a front pair of the TQ pads +wagner rotors and a second set of TQ pads + centric ctek rotors. with fresh fluid and pads, i like the initial bite. but both times, the fronts get fairly noisy after a cold start, like the sound of the whistling as loud as a garbage truck decelerating.

since we both live in similar climates, how often do you get pad squeal from cold starts moving forward? mine is 99% of the time, only time it doesn't is when i reverse out. hilariously embarrassing in parking garages.
According to the instruction manuals of the Wagner pads. You must not use any type of lubricant on the "shimless" design, nor the arms of the pad that slide along the caliper hardware. If absolutely desired, you must use Wagners own silicone blend of goo. (Baloney) I used some left over Sil-glyde from NAPA parts, and never looked back. From time to time, maybe a good idea just to relube with any SYNTHETIC grease on the back of the TQ pad and the arms as they sit. What could it possibly hurt?

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
I had to have rear brake pads installed on my 07 Camry XLE while vacationing in Clearwater Florida thus past February. I didn't have any tools with me to do the work myself so I went to the local Pep Boys so at least I would have a nationwide warranty. They used Wagner TG's and cut the rotors with an on-car brake lathe. I watched the tech working on the car and he did a good job on the install. I have to agree with the good pedal feel but I do have one big complaint. The pads make a lot of black brake dust on my alloy wheels. I do have the Akebonos in the front and they do not produce anywhere near the amount of brake dust. Just my observation.

Mike

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
I ended up warranting my ThermoQuiets as I started getting a screeching sound when I am lightly to mid pressing the brake. As far as I can tell, it might've been the left rear pads as the brake hardware came off with barely a wiggle. Also, I forget if it was the front or rear but one of them were manufactured in 2011. In theory it shouldn't cause an issue... but things can be interesting. The screeching noise went away afterwards but I am sure that I may need to file down the left rear inner pad again because it sits a bit tight... when pushed. There was an old TSB about Gen 6 Camry rear pads being crooked and I noticed when I replaced my old pads they were crooked too (but caused no sound).

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
Interest about no brake lube. So the softer noise reducing layer may just be a hard rubber, and since petroleum greases break them down, Wagner doesn’t want anything near them??

According to the instruction manuals of the Wagner pads. You must not use any type of lubricant on the "shimless" design, nor the arms of the pad that slide along the caliper hardware. If absolutely desired, you must use Wagners own silicone blend of goo. (Baloney) I used some left over Sil-glyde from NAPA parts, and never looked back. From time to time, maybe a good idea just to relube with any SYNTHETIC grease on the back of the TQ pad and the arms as they sit. What could it possibly hurt?

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
I don’t mind more braking effectiveness but Akebonos have been very reliable and predictable that inertia set in. 😄 no dust or noise complaints.

I had to have rear brake pads installed on my 07 Camry XLE while vacationing in Clearwater Florida thus past February. I didn't have any tools with me to do the work myself so I went to the local Pep Boys so at least I would have a nationwide warranty. They used Wagner TG's and cut the rotors with an on-car brake lathe. I watched the tech working on the car and he did a good job on the install. I have to agree with the good pedal feel but I do have one big complaint. The pads make a lot of black brake dust on my alloy wheels. I do have the Akebonos in the front and they do not produce anywhere near the amount of brake dust. Just my observation.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts