Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE engine; A140E transmission
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't speak for everywhere in the US but here where I live the Conventional and High Mileage versions of the Walmart Supertech oils are getting very hard to find. Of course the $7.00 an hour clerks at Walmart don't have a clue when I ask them but I have been doing some research and I talked with the Auto/Sporting Goods Manager in my local Walmart and what I found is that Walmart is revising its product mix where the Supertech oil is concerned. Apparently there isn't enough profit margin in it for Walmart to continue to stock their shelves with the Conventional and the Conventional High Mileage Supertech oils. I have used Supertech oil in cars I have owned for the last 15 years and never had a problem and the price can't be beat. I am currently using Supertech High Mileage conventional 5W-30 in my PoJ. The last 2 times I tried to buy a quart of oil to top off I had a heck of a time finding the standard Supertech high Mileage oil in 5W-30. This week I was driving past 3 different Walmarts and stopped in and I could not find a single quart of 5W-30 High Mileage Supertech so I bought a quart of 10W-30 for topping off.

Walmart has introduced a High Mileage Synthetic oil to go with their Regular Synthetic oils and I have a feeling that before long the Standard High Mileage oil will be gone and I am not comfortable using a Synthetic oil in my car. The engine leaks bad enough with a Conventional High Mileage oils and I don't want to come out one day to find 3 quarts of Synthetic High Mileage oil on my driveway. I noticed that Walmart does have a decent supply of the Valvoline Conventional High Mileage oil in all the weights and it is as of today only a $1 more per quart so I ma go with the Valvoline Conventional High Mileage oil and pay the dollar difference.

For now whenever I am in a Walmart I am going to keep my eyes out for the Supertech Conventional High Mileage oil in 5W-30 and when I see it I am going to buy it and stockpile it. Again, this may not be happening all over the United States but it is happening here. Happy hunting campers. :)

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,426 Posts
No issue here yet. But noticed they have you order it and have it put in will call, took 24 hrs.
Didn't have to pay for it up front, just got an email saying it was at my store for pick-up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can't speak for everywhere in the US but here where I live the Conventional and High Mileage versions of the Walmart Supertech oils are getting very hard to find. Of course the $7.00 an hour clerks at Walmart don't have a clue when I ask them but I have been doing some research and I talked with the Auto/Sporting Goods Manager in my local Walmart and what I found is that Walmart is revising its product mix where the Supertech oil is concerned. Apparently there isn't enough profit margin in it for Walmart to continue to stock their shelves with the Conventional and the Conventional High Mileage Supertech oils. I have used Supertech oil in cars I have owned for the last 15 years and never had a problem and the price can't be beat. I am currently using Supertech High Mileage conventional 5W-30 in my PoJ. The last 2 times I tried to buy a quart of oil to top off I had a heck of a time finding the standard Supertech high Mileage oil in 5W-30. This week I was driving past 3 different Walmarts and stopped in and I could not find a single quart of 5W-30 High Mileage Supertech so I bought a quart of 10W-30 for topping off.

Walmart has introduced a High Mileage Synthetic oil to go with their Regular Synthetic oils and I have a feeling that before long the Standard High Mileage oil will be gone and I am not comfortable using a Synthetic oil in my car. The engine leaks bad enough with a Conventional High Mileage oils and I don't want to come out one day to find 3 quarts of Synthetic High Mileage oil on my driveway. I noticed that Walmart does have a decent supply of the Valvoline Conventional High Mileage oil in all the weights and it is as of today only a $1 more per quart so I ma go with the Valvoline Conventional High Mileage oil and pay the dollar difference.

For now whenever I am in a Walmart I am going to keep my eyes out for the Supertech Conventional High Mileage oil in 5W-30 and when I see it I am going to buy it and stockpile it. Again, this may not be happening all over the United States but it is happening here. Happy hunting campers. :)
synthetic oil will cause leak ? y is that if u don't mind im asking? i have an older corolla and i don't know should i use synthetic or conventional oil since u were saying it causes leak.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Conventional ST oils have been dwindling in the local Wally mart stores around here too. But like @sdspeed said, if you put in an online order, they will have it available within 24 hours.

Btw, Pennzoil conventional is on sale at some Of the Walmart stores - cheaper than ST conventional oil.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE engine; A140E transmission
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Again Everyone, I had an interesting conversation last night with a friend who is an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. I was telling him about how I have used the Walmart SuperTech High Mileage blend oil in my cars for 15 or 16 years and that I am bummed that Walmart is getting ride of it slowly but surely. My friend told me that one company, White Oil Company has made the majority of motor oil for as long as he could remember and that was a bit of a revelation to me. I am not naive and I know how business works but I would not think that a company would just hand over the details of their additive packages to a 3rd party but considering how expensive refining and bottling oil has to be I guess this makes sense. My friend also told me that Walmart oils (all of them) are bottom of the barrel oils which according to him are what is left over in the barrels that the big guys will not use in their tier 1 and tier 2 oils that are sold under their names. My friend told me that he would use the Amazon.Com Basics oils over Walmart Supertech oils any day of the week.

I found this conversation very interesting in light of what I found out about Walmart cutting back on their Supertech High Mileage and Conventional dino oil lines. Since I have to find another oil for my car anyway I have been doing some research and for me price is a definite consideration. I don't have the money to put a $12 a quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic or similar into my car for many reasons nor do I see the need in an 18 year old car with almost 300K miles on it. Considering the age and more importantly the mileage on my car I am stepping up to a 10W-40 oil and my primary oil is going to be the Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend which I can get for approx. $4.39 a quart at Walmart and even less per quart if I buy the 5 quart jug which I will at oil change time. My backup oil is going to be the Valvoline MaxLife oil. The MaxLife is 75 cents to $1.25 less expensive than the GTX but the MaxLife 10W-40 is harder to find so I am going to spend the couple of extra dollars and go with the Castrol GTX. I have used Castrol before and never had any problems with it. I had a Toyota Celica GT back in 1976 and used Castrol dino in the car and ran the piss out of it with no problems at all. I used to run 20W-50 dino in the summer and 10W-40 dino in the winter and I remember several times changing the oil at 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM at night when the temps dropped because with the 20W-50 in the engine it would barely start. I also had a 1987 Honda Prelude SI 4 cylinder (the 4 wheel steer model and that car was a TRIP) that I used Castrol 10W-40 dino in and again I ran the car hard and never had a problem with the oil. I was going to go with a different oil filter (Purolator Red) to save a few dollars on each oil change but seeing that I am switching to a different and "better" oil I will stay with the oil filter I am using now which is the mid line Purolator Blue.

All in all it has been an interesting day and I want to share it with the group. Have a good day all and see you around the Forums.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The reason conventional is hard to find is because nothing besides small motors for lawncare spec a true conventional oil. Most motors spec 0wX, which from experience is synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Supertech is fine. My personal opinion, unless your motor is exotic or has specific needs the only thing a motor needs is regular fresh oil changes with new filters on spec (oil and filter).

·
Registered
353 Posts
My friend also told me that Walmart oils (all of them) are bottom of the barrel oils which according to him are what is left over in the barrels that the big guys will not use in their tier 1 and tier 2 oils that are sold under their names. My friend told me that he would use the Amazon.Com Basics oils over Walmart Supertech oils any day of the week.
Walmart/Supertech oil is actually pretty decent and not bottom barrel in any way. Kirkland/Supertech/Amazon basics are all pretty much the same - check out the VOA on BITOG or pqia or project farms videos.
All 3 with more than suffice in most daily driver vehicles.
I’m not sure about the M1 conventional, but their synthetics are like $7.99/qt around here and they have a $5-15 rebate depending on which oil you buy which makes M1 oils fairly reasonable.

Im perfectly happy running Kirkland and Supertech oil in my cars without any issues and occasionally snag up name brand oils on sale for $7-8 for a 5qt jug if I’m lucky.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Again Everyone, I had an interesting conversation last night with a friend who is an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. I was telling him about how I have used the Walmart SuperTech High Mileage blend oil in my cars for 15 or 16 years and that I am bummed that Walmart is getting ride of it slowly but surely. My friend told me that one company, White Oil Company has made the majority of motor oil for as long as he could remember and that was a bit of a revelation to me. I am not naive and I know how business works but I would not think that a company would just hand over the details of their additive packages to a 3rd party but considering how expensive refining and bottling oil has to be I guess this makes sense. My friend also told me that Walmart oils (all of them) are bottom of the barrel oils which according to him are what is left over in the barrels that the big guys will not use in their tier 1 and tier 2 oils that are sold under their names. My friend told me that he would use the Amazon.Com Basics oils over Walmart Supertech oils any day of the week.

I found this conversation very interesting in light of what I found out about Walmart cutting back on their Supertech High Mileage and Conventional dino oil lines. Since I have to find another oil for my car anyway I have been doing some research and for me price is a definite consideration. I don't have the money to put a $12 a quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic or similar into my car for many reasons nor do I see the need in an 18 year old car with almost 300K miles on it. Considering the age and more importantly the mileage on my car I am stepping up to a 10W-40 oil and my primary oil is going to be the Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend which I can get for approx. $4.39 a quart at Walmart and even less per quart if I buy the 5 quart jug which I will at oil change time. My backup oil is going to be the Valvoline MaxLife oil. The MaxLife is 75 cents to $1.25 less expensive than the GTX but the MaxLife 10W-40 is harder to find so I am going to spend the couple of extra dollars and go with the Castrol GTX. I have used Castrol before and never had any problems with it. I had a Toyota Celica GT back in 1976 and used Castrol dino in the car and ran the piss out of it with no problems at all. I used to run 20W-50 dino in the summer and 10W-40 dino in the winter and I remember several times changing the oil at 9:00 PM or 10:00 PM at night when the temps dropped because with the 20W-50 in the engine it would barely start. I also had a 1987 Honda Prelude SI 4 cylinder (the 4 wheel steer model and that car was a TRIP) that I used Castrol 10W-40 dino in and again I ran the car hard and never had a problem with the oil. I was going to go with a different oil filter (Purolator Red) to save a few dollars on each oil change but seeing that I am switching to a different and "better" oil I will stay with the oil filter I am using now which is the mid line Purolator Blue.

All in all it has been an interesting day and I want to share it with the group. Have a good day all and see you around the Forums.
I think it’s fair to say that your friend has no idea what he’s talking about. Like, zero.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've been running Super-Tech oil in both of my cars for over 8 years without issues, ever since the Mobil conventional went up in price. I would NOT buy Amazon oil simply for political reasons, and you have to wait for it to be shipped. Your friend seems a little out of touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts