Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a NAPA fuel filter and just installed it in my camry and I was SHOCKED at how much better my engine sounded. It must have been really clogged bcos the rpms jumped from 750 to 1K. My engine had been sounding really rough when at idle so what I thought was a mysterious vacuum leak was actually my engine starving for fuel! The car responds much better, sounds better and drive better. I am still in disbelief. Thinking back on it I have owned my car for about 5 years now and have never changed it. Now I know better. So what's the interval of a fuel filter change? And I read somewhere that gas stations have a prefilter at the pump that catches a lot of stuff but if it isnt changed regularly (monthly) then its as good as not having one.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
REAPER STRAIN said:
I got a NAPA fuel filter and just installed it in my camry and I was SHOCKED at how much better my engine sounded. It must have been really clogged bcos the rpms jumped from 750 to 1K. My engine had been sounding really rough when at idle so what I thought was a mysterious vacuum leak was actually my engine starving for fuel! The car responds much better, sounds better and drive better. I am still in disbelief. Thinking back on it I have owned my car for about 5 years now and have never changed it. Now I know better. So what's the interval of a fuel filter change? And I read somewhere that gas stations have a prefilter at the pump that catches a lot of stuff but if it isnt changed regularly (monthly) then its as good as not having one.

How many miles? Model yr? engine?

·
The 6"4 Viking
Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D
464 Posts
The Toyota fuel filter is supposed to be a lifetime filter, but i when changed mine
(it was the original one from factory) it was filled with mud and i experienced the
same thing you did, the original filter had 245000 km on its back :eek:
Way to much regardless of what Toyota says. I have decided to
change it every 50000 km

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
REAPER STRAIN said:
Oh sorry, got at Gen3 (94). It has 230K on it and its a 5sfe engine with manual transmission.
Thanks for the info, I have one with 117k and the other with 109k, so I guess I can push them alittle further...where is the fuel filter located on a gen 3? and how much did it cost ya?
Did you do it yourself or have it done?...Appreciate the additional information!..Thanks

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
You've got me thinking now, I've never seen a Toyota (EFI) that didn't have the same cannister-type in exactly the same place. Nice and hard to get at!

I've actually been trying to replace mine (the poor car's at 340,000km and still running strong, but I don't think the filter's been replaced in over 200,000K now), but I can't get that stupid fitting loose from under the cannister...any ideas anyone? Since I can't use a torch to heat it (ka-boom) and it's touch to get penetrating oil up under there, I'm at a loss... any suggestions?:confused: I've never had this happen before.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,665 Posts
TBayToyotaBoy said:
You've got me thinking now, I've never seen a Toyota (EFI) that didn't have the same cannister-type in exactly the same place. Nice and hard to get at!

I've actually been trying to replace mine (the poor car's at 340,000km and still running strong, but I don't think the filter's been replaced in over 200,000K now), but I can't get that stupid fitting loose from under the cannister...any ideas anyone? Since I can't use a torch to heat it (ka-boom) and it's touch to get penetrating oil up under there, I'm at a loss... any suggestions?:confused: I've never had this happen before.
Flair-nut wrenches - a 17mm and a 14mm. I had to use a pipe as an extention on my 320k mile-old filter on my Camry. Luckily, the engine bay had no engine in it!
:clap:

-Charlie

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
break it and go to the wreckers and get a new one, is the way everyone does it. common problem.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
terrastrife said:
break it and go to the wreckers and get a new one, is the way everyone does it. common problem.

I guess push em as far as I can....don't really want to "break it" to fix it!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :smokin:

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
Sounds like another thing I can add to my DIY list. :lol:

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
REAPER STRAIN said:
Help me understand something here. I don't doubt for a minute that Reaper has found his problem, but....

If the fuel filter on Reaper's car was clogged, wouldn't he experience a greater problem at high RPM's (say, 4000) than he would at idle. It seems to me that the engine is calling for a lot more fuel at 4000 RPM than it does at 750 RPM, and a clogged filter may not even allow enough fuel to pass to even get to 4000 RPM. Reaper did not say anything about how the car was running at higher RPMs, so I assume it was probably running fine there.

What am I getting wrong here?

Thanks!

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
may be i should change mine too it's 18yrs old and @ 130k miles do they sell them at the dealership ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have a fuel filter sitting in my trunk i haven't been able to loosen the nut on mine...my car is a 2000 camry le v6 with 142k miles on it....this is the ORIGINAL FUEL filter ... i'm going to try and loosen the nut again this weekend by spraying some liquid wrench on it to see if it can help loosen it....i don't wanna try to loosen it with alot of pressure...

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
I guess I should too, though I only at 70k, its good precution I guess.

·
Registered
271 Posts
REAPER STRAIN said:
Oh sorry, got at Gen3 (94). It has 230K on it and its a 5sfe engine with manual transmission.
Thanks for letting me know... I've felt my car was gutless for years. 236K and original fuel filter still in there. ('94 manual also)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I felt a performance boost too after changing the inline filter of my '00 camry 2.2L. But after a short while, the ECU will relearn that the mixture is too rich and cut back on the fuel, so back to square one. I cut open my inline filter and found nothing inside, clean as a whistle. I also changed the filter sock in the fuel tank. Some traces of fine aluminium, must be from the pump nozzle.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
hmm, i tried getting mine replace, but it wasn't able to come off, so it never happened, i guess it wouldn't hurt to try again, cause im coming up on 200K and have a few fuel problems, so maybe it could be PART of the problem.

thanks for the info

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
^
1. remove banjo bolt on top
2. loosen the fitting on the bottom
3. remove bracket bolts from the firewall
4. remove filter and filter support bracket assembly

be sure to observe which is the inlet and outlet pipe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts