Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Monroe Quick struts with retrofitted OEM springs on the front of my 05. Constant clunking (before and after the spring retrofit), so I am looking to fix it finally.
Sway bar links and bushings are new (OEM).

So, obviously I can go to a dealer and take a beating on the cost.
But should I take a different approach like just getting OEM mounts and/or another set of aftermarket struts like kyb? At this point I lost enough money and time on this so I want to do something that will fix the issue for sure.
What would you recommend?

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
2,601 Posts
I've heard a few complaints about KYB but not many.

Have you done the loosen/rotate/torque thing on the Monroe top nut yet? It helped mine but not completely.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard a few complaints about KYB but not many.

Have you done the loosen/rotate/torque thing on the Monroe top nut yet? It helped mine but not completely.
Yes I did. About 5 times ! Sometimes it goes away for half a day after but returns afterwards.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Monroe Oespectrum installed on a 05 Camry since april 2013 and no clunk or funky noise, just smooth ride as the oem struts. I re-use my oem spring as it wasn't broke or sagging, but i order oem parts @ Toyota such as: 1. Lower spring seat 2. Bump Stop 3.Upper insulator 4.Struts Mount & bearing . It was installed at the dealer with the supply parts, for the struts mount i didn't put any felt paper, and not sure if the toyota technician put any on the genuine one, but i do notice on the genuine mount and upper insulator the arrow pointing the direction need to install. My suggestion is re-use the struts from your quickstruts it might be Oespectrum & the coil spring, i remember an toyotanation forum member did mention the coil spring on a quickstruts was 1 inch taller than the oem coil spring. Go to toyota online or directly to parts department to order again these 4 parts above for an second installation. I still remember since 2013 buying the 4 monroe Oespectrum struts was under $300 at that time but ordering oem suspension parts was more costly than the 4 struts + 4 new moog enlinks+ 3.5h labor from Toyota it was roughly $1000 without an alignment. Still remember the tech told me why you didn'y buy the quickstruts is cheaper than buying all parts out, I told the mechanic i dun trust the quickstruts assembly, just bough an monroe quality struts at jobber price + oem parts, should be an quality replacement close to the factory without paying the genuine Toyota full price.
:smile:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are referring to a picture with an OEM spring and a Quickstrut spring side-my-side, that was me who posted it :)

Good info, thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Monroe Oespectrum installed on a 05 Camry since april 2013 and no clunk or funky noise, just smooth ride as the oem struts. I re-use my oem spring as it wasn't broke or sagging, but i order oem parts @ Toyota such as: 1. Lower spring seat 2. Bump Stop 3.Upper insulator 4.Struts Mount & bearing . It was installed at the dealer with the supply parts, for the struts mount i didn't put any felt paper, and not sure if the toyota technician put any on the genuine one, but i do notice on the genuine mount and upper insulator the arrow pointing the direction need to install. My suggestion is re-use the struts from your quickstruts it might be Oespectrum & the coil spring, i remember an toyotanation forum member did mention the coil spring on a quickstruts was 1 inch taller than the oem coil spring. Go to toyota online or directly to parts department to order again these 4 parts above for an second installation. I still remember since 2013 buying the 4 monroe Oespectrum struts was under $300 at that time but ordering oem suspension parts was more costly than the 4 struts + 4 new moog enlinks+ 3.5h labor from Toyota it was roughly $1000 without an alignment. Still remember the tech told me why you didn'y buy the quickstruts is cheaper than buying all parts out, I told the mechanic i dun trust the quickstruts assembly, just bough an monroe quality struts at jobber price + oem parts, should be an quality replacement close to the factory without paying the genuine Toyota full price.
mcgill_redmen, can you double-check the parts for me please?
I circled the parts that I think you mentioned.
Do I not need #13 ?

Thanks, much appreciated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi
yes, you need to buy 2x for front left and right item # 11,12,10,13,15&14.
#13 &14 is the item i mention on my previous post an Arrow pointing the direction to install so the tech will see, the bearing sit on top of #13 and that the culprit for pop, clunk and funny noise. Are you fixing the back also? If yes here's the item # i purchase 2x for the back struts item #16 ,17,18 &19. I also replace all 4 endlink at same time and i use Moog with zerk fitting it's a heavy-duty version of toyota and it's re-greaseable so i could pump some grease on spring and winter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, just the front at this time. Have no issues the the back (knock on wood).

By end link you mean the sway bar links? I got them replaced a month ago.

·
3,406 Posts
I am in the process of replacing all my struts. I am ordering (1) KYB strut per pay period as I have many repair projects I am juggling, so I will be installing my rear ones in a few weeks. Be interesting to see how you fair in this switch.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in the process of replacing all my struts. I am ordering (1) KYB strut per pay period as I have many repair projects I am juggling, so I will be installing my rear ones in a few weeks. Be interesting to see how you fair in this switch.
To be perfectly honest, I am not convinced I should go that route. Even getting these parts will cost me a pretty penny (with canadian to US dollar rate these days). I still may go to a dealer and ask for a complete OEM swap (except OEM springs that I already have). Price difference doesn't seem to justify possible issues from mixing and matching.

·
3,406 Posts
Gotcha. Yuo won't go wrong with the stealer doing the OEM route, but yeah, the cost! My rear struts are popping and clunking so bad I grit my teeth constantly. It ate my right rear tire to the wire (hey, what a poet I am) in only 8 months or so. I can hardly wait to replace that one for sure. I plan on tearing things down to inspect it this weekend to be sure I don't have other busted things, check the spring, etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Being in Canada doesn't help. You guys down south have substantially cheaper parts. We depend on the conversion rate + cross border shipping is never free + often a duty gets slapped (can't recall exactly, but its 13% or more).
If I had time to do the work myself, I'd still go the mix and match route with parts ordered from US. But, as of now, I don't have time/energy and the labour cost of re-doing things really adds up. At the end you begin to wonder if the hassle was worth it.
It is worth it with simpler things though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you change the mounts when you did your front end before?

Clunking is usually mount-related, not the spring/strut assembly itself. It can be the strut spindle and the way it interacts with the mount of course, but the place to focus on first in my mind is the mount. It would be a shame to buy all new components and have the same problem.

I re-did the front (and rear) of an 02 (same as 05) this year and all I changed was the struts (kyb) and boots. Re-used springs, mounts, insulators, etc. and it feels great.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used Monroe Quick Struts which is a complete assembly that includes Monroe mounts. It's been noisy ever since, first a tap and later it graduated to a clunk. At some point I had oem springs retrofitted to correct ride height issues but it had not changed the noise.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK, what I would do is this:

1) Remove Monroe mounts, install OE ones and upper plate, insulator, etc. (hope you saved them).

That has a high probability of fixing it at $0 cost besides your labor. If that fails to fix it, then:

2) Replace w/OE struts (KYB).

If you still have clunking with OE mounts, springs, proper torque, and monroe struts, then you will need to get KYB struts.

I'd try that process step-wise to minimize wasted parts/$$. If you didn't save the parts, then I'd still buy OE mounts before new struts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, what I would do is this:

1) Remove Monroe mounts, install OE ones and upper plate, insulator, etc. (hope you saved them).

That has a high probability of fixing it at $0 cost besides your labor. If that fails to fix it, then:

2) Replace w/OE struts (KYB).

If you still have clunking with OE mounts, springs, proper torque, and monroe struts, then you will need to get KYB struts.

I'd try that process step-wise to minimize wasted parts/$$. If you didn't save the parts, then I'd still buy OE mounts before new struts.
Thanks. That's my plan too except I will have my mechanic do the wrenching.
I was foolish and thew away the old parts...Which I regret much.

Just put in an order for the mounts, bearing, insulators etc (#10-15 in the diagram)

·
3,406 Posts
Got an estimate from the stealership. Ouch, even higher than I thought.
So, I guess I am going the mix and match route.
Ugh. Sorry to hear it, but not unexpected. My KYB came in today (Excel G), I'll order the left this weekend, so that next weekend I'll be installing. Considering the post above, I'm going to tear down the right this weekend to see if the mount is shot.

·
Regular TN User
269 Posts
The parts you ordered should fix the problem. The Monroe struts themselves are fine but the assembled units always use inferior parts. I did kyb and reused the oem mounts and they're perfectly quiet as new vs the brand new quickstruts i tried that clunked constantly (but strangely randomly.....Big potholes it would be fine sometimes and then the tiniest little bump and it would sound horrible.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
7 Participants
SpaceSputnik
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing