Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a CD player but since the salesman at Sloane Toyota in Glenside, PA did not have one in the RAV 4- hybrid, he lied and told me it was old technology and not available. What does it take to exchange the Entune navigation system/ radio for a one with a CD player. I rather use WAZE for navigation as it is much better than what Toyota offers.
Dealer told me it requires changing the harness which may be true- just do not trust him anymore.

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts

·
8,164 Posts
Not to violate your desire but why? You have smart phone, right? Install large capacity memory card, move your music to it and stream.
I totally agree on Waze. Superior to any nav system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Quickdtoo,
If the 2017 owners’ manual did not describe two CD players, I would agree with you. Also, there were other 2017 RAV4’s in the showroom with CD players. While your theory my be true by 2020, it does not apply in 2017.

Thank you for your response.

·
8,164 Posts
That's respected. All the best on your quest.

Dealer told me it requires changing the harness

VERY respectfully, it will cost you likely quite a bit to replace modern head unit with outdated CD system. Then you will use your extensive collection of CDs until they get scratched or one jams in player. For a fraction of cost you can find a teenage family member who will move your collection to a phone or flash drive. As your car does have flash drive port, right? They had them for long time.
Just as a thought... What's wrong with those:
https://www.amazon.com/Epartsdom-WP119-Brand-External-USB/dp/9573212919

Or similar devices. You have USB port, connect external CD player.

Of course, you should do only as you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Dear Quickdtoo,
If the 2017 owners’ manual did not describe two CD players, I would agree with you. Also, there were other 2017 RAV4’s in the showroom with CD players.

The owner's manual covers all models, it clearly states that not all features are available on all models throughout its content. The 2017 ebrochure shows that any model with a 7" display does NOT have a CD player, only the 6.1" Entune HUs have CD players, a well informed buyer would be wise to know these details before they buy instead of griping about it after the fact. As far as installing a HU with a CD player, an aftermarket HU would be possible but AFAIK they don't support all the Hybrid features and custom vehicle controls that the factory HU supports. Best advice has been given, either digitize the CDs for use from a USB drive, MP3 or iPod or add a portable USB CD player. Personally I play all music thru Bluetooth from my phone. If you choose to digitize and use a USB drive, do some research on it first, Entune has some caveats in it's filing/indexing system as far as playback.

https://www.toyota.com/rav4/ebrochure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Use your laptop to rip your existing collection of cds to a jump drive. One drive will hold something like 100 cds. The sound system will provide a nice user interface for selecting the music and I think it even shows graphics of the ripped cds. The jump drive is tiny in that it doesn't stick out - very small. Also there are some requirements on it such as those high capacity fast as heck newest version jump drive won't work. (I think ours was 32gb limited).

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
86 Posts
Most cars have dropped CDs. You can still buy a portable CD player and plug it into the headphone jack and play it through the stereo. Some have USB cables to charge the batteries. They are under $30. You can rip your CD to a memory stick, make folders like playlists. You can buy a IPod or similar device. Even those are becoming rare. An Android phone can have memory added for dirt cheap and hold 400 CDs. The music programs on the phone can make play lists, stream it, it sounds real good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts