Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: no longer needed: 89 Corolla Retractable headlight actuator

Wanted: Retractable headlight actuator rod, for 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5. Has electronic retractable headlights. Has a metal rod several inches long that run from motor actuator to headlight. Each side has these.

My wife was in accident and the parts was broken off and/or lost. I ordered a (passenger side) used retractble headlight assembly, but the salvage yard is unsure if the actuator rod is still in the package.

the rod is several inches long, skinny, adjust the height of the headlight, from the little electric motor to the headlight. It snaps on a little ball like joint at each end.

Anyone have one avaiable that fits my car? I am not sure which years fit

1989 Toyota Corolla SR5, 2 door coupe, with carb and 5 speed stick manual trans. Has popup headlights.

Update: 10-29-12 (I no longer need any other parts for now)
I got the headlight actuator with a used headlight assembly.
==========

these following parts are no longer needed
Also looking for a grill that fits, which is long sinny, and has parking running lights on each end that sit under the hood and headlights.

I am also ordering new passenger side fender and front bumper cover, and several lights.

Anyone have any other ideas where to look for the running, parking lights that are part of the grill?

Thanx..

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just need the little steel rod that connects the headlight motor to the headlight,, and it also adjust headlight height. (actuator control arm) snaps on and off each end onto a roller bearing. Ours must have been lost in the accident when the headlight was broken and twisted.

I already found and ordered a used pop headlight assembly (it's just missing that actuator arm).

I am also looking for the passenger side parking light, the light directly under the headlight, with the clear long and skinny plastic, curves around the side with side marker light built in. Guess its called corner light. (ebay has some, they want $35.00 each side).

Thanx..

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does anyone know if a headlight actuator (arm) for the headlight to motor will work from a Celica on a 1989 Corolla?

No! I called the dealer and they said no.. and they no longer sell the parts...

there are a couple of parts for other model cars on eBay. But, so far, I cannot find any for a Corolla..

And they want about $20.00 for those on eBay. What a way to screw people, but it's apart you have to have..
:wtf:

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
714 Posts
Well actually, the motor with linkage in the picture above came from a Celica. And no, I doesn't fit directley. I believe the Celica one was to long for the Corolla headlight...

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well actually, the motor with linkage in the picture above came from a Celica. And no, I doesn't fit directley. I believe the Celica one was to long for the Corolla headlight...
if I had one I would find a way to shorten it if it were too long.. I measured the arm, and it's about 7" (lolol.... sorry..) (end of arm eyelete to eyelete). I could cut it and weld it back together.. (muffler shop I go to does weld jobs..).

I appreciate any and all help finding parts.. I asked my wife to stop where she crashed and look for that part.. but i think she waited too long,, it drives me crazy thinking it is laying by the side of the road..

·
Registered
Corolla & Avensis
714 Posts
I'll have a look in my workshop if I have the one in the picture or a original one lying around for spare.

But keep in mind that if I find one and I send it to you, it coul;d take a couple of days since it has to come all the way from the Netherlands ;)

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have a look in my workshop if I have the one in the picture or a original one lying around for spare.

But keep in mind that if I find one and I send it to you, it coul;d take a couple of days since it has to come all the way from the Netherlands ;)
I would be so grateful and will pay what you need... ( keep it below hundreds and millions.. $$$$$$:clap:)...

Thank you for looking

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPS is delivering some of my 1989 Corolla SR5 parts today and tomorrow,, I have to go get some paint.....

next week I get a shot in my spine... my back is killing me,, I get those same type shots that killed some people when some clinics got some contaminated medicine.. so far, the VA hospital is not on the list with the bad medicine..

I wish we could get a new car,, but I have to keep our car going for now..

:dunno:

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the headlight actuator with the head I ordered from a wrecking yard, the guy wasn't sure, if it had the part included, who sent it which had me freaking out, looking at plan 'B'. So I no longer need the headlight actuator.. but I am looking for a couple other parts... but nothing significant..

need the rollup window mechanism for the driver side,, te roll up window crank skips teeth when rolling up the window..

the mirror switch between the seats no longer works the outside door mirrors, and the fuel sending unit in the gas tank sends a bad signal to the gas gauge... also need the reflector...

gotta get this thing back together with the new parts...
my body is wrecked,,, just eat morphine and work on this old car..
:facepalm:

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the headlight in,, only problem was the wreck had bent the other parts and had a hell of time trying to make it bolt in, as I do not have hydaulic tools to bend metal... so it took amny hours of struggle to get it to fit, not perfect but it's bolted in... the hsod hit it a bit when the hood closes.. I need to shave some metal off the edge of the hood, where it is near the headlight.

The fender I ordered new turned out it was the wrong model, I have to RMA it back... it wasn't for my SR5. it was for the sedans... so they are sending me the RMA return stuff so I can ship it back, and they are ordering a refund... I notice, almost all finders for the 1989 Corolla on eBay are listed as saying they are are for all models, or when you specifically say SR5, the lists usually say it fors other cars, as well..

the pictures they use are generic. the auto parts store I ordered it from, say the fender is currently not in stock, but it normally is and I have to wait a week, and cal back to see if they got any in. I am going to have to call the places and not do it by online ordering until I am sure it is the the right fender for the SR5. And not for the sedans, wagons, etc...

the last shop I bougth a lot of parts was for a Camry and that was easy to get parts for. But, they don't have Corolla SR5 parts on their website.

So, another week will go by, but at least my wife can drive the car, even without a fender,, at least the lights will work. Only lights on the SR5 are a side marker.

Oh well, at least I don't have to pay return shipping. (supposedly).

Also, I will never ever get another car with pop up lights. Totally a huge pain up the arse..

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am stil having a big problem,, since the front end was damaged, when I placed the new headlight assembly in (passenger side) it sites a little twisted, so that the hood doe snot close with enough clearnce for the headlight to raise and lower without hitting the hood, the is no more adjustment left anywhere to bring more clearnace.

So, I was wondering if anyone has removed about 1/4 inch of metal of the hood, around the headlight area? A good grinding tool, a grainding wheel should be able to grind away just a taste of metal, enough for space between the engine hood and the passenger headlight.

What does everyone (everyone that has had this done, or done it themselves) think, has anyone else cut away some metal on the hood, and what tools were used? I want to cut away 1/4 inch of the hood around the passenger headlight cover, where the hood goes around it. (popup headlights).

The headlight does raise and lower when you move the headlight switch, but it does bind a little and stops it from coming all the way down, leave it up an inch or two from coming al the way down. Plus closing the engine hodd, after opening it is a pain because the headlight has to be move by hand a little to make room. I am unable to bend enough of the slightly twisted metal car frame structure around the headlight area. It would take some professional body tools, and too expensive for this old car.

I can always paint the ugly away when I finish replacing parts.
btw, the fender I got, didn't fit, it was the wrong fender, so I had to send it back for a refund, and they will have new Corolla SR5 Fenders in in the coming days or weeks. (just have to live with it like it is until we have everything ready). I have a new bumper cover ready to install after I put a new passenger fender on.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had another thought, I do have a decent powered circular saw,, and if I get a blade for sheet metal, a diamond blade,, maybe I could slice a little off with that saw? Since I am cutting in a staright line, it should be pretty easy?

:help:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You will likely have to straighten/pull out the mounting area in order to get your new fender to fit in place.If you have a tree ( or other strong upright stationary object) and somewhere on car to connect to ,you could use a hand operated winch to pull out the region that is pushed in and rubbing on headlight. Harbor Freight carries them. Once you did the headlight assembly would no longer rub. Would avoid cutting hood. You would be cutting into seam ( which would leave hole) and make a bigger mess.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Hybrid XL
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You will likely have to straighten/pull out the mounting area in order to get your new fender to fit in place.If you have a tree ( or other strong upright stationary object) and somewhere on car to connect to ,you could use a hand operated winch to pull out the region that is pushed in and rubbing on headlight. Harbor Freight carries them. Once you did the headlight assembly would no longer rub. Would avoid cutting hood. You would be cutting into seam ( which would leave hole) and make a bigger mess.

the fender fits,,, the hood hits the popup headlight...

the bending took place where the headlight mounts to the framing that the headlight bolts too...

the headlight it slight pushed back and down a smidgen,, but just enough to cause the headlight to be a smidge low and pushed back a smidge... it is bbarely noticable by eye, but when you close the hood the back of the headlight cover is hard against the hood, or when you have the hood oopen and close it when it comes down, it hit the back of the headlight cover.

Also, the bottom of headlight bezzle hits the frame (the frame that the bumper mount slides into) and the headlight will not come completely down, it is about 1 or 2 inches higher than the grill thus not closing completely with the bezzle on. causing the headlight bezzle to hit the frame and the bolt the bumper frame is held in by. That bolt is large and comes up fromt he bottom under the car, straight up though that hole under the headlight assembly. Even if I back t he bolt out and down a bit, the bezzle hits the frame. If I remove the headlight bezzle, and back the bumper bolt out a few turns, the headlight would probably close all the way. That is because that little frame the back of the headlight assembly bolts to is slightly bent down and back. And I say slightly bent, but enough to cause these issues.

There is not way I could bend it all back with welding torch or hydraulic equipment.

Just saying...

Grinding the back of the headlight cover, or the hood, would give it a smidge of room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts