Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lighter celica is a faster celica. I want this thin lady get skinny. So this is what I did to loose the weight.
All spare tire equipment gone.
replaced power atenna w/lighter non power one.
replaced muffler w/ cherry bomb muffer and removed muffler hardware.
Cleaned engine compartment.
replaced intake box w/ short ram intake.

Here are my questions:
Is the 99-now celica seats lighter/ and will they fit a 92 celica st?
Does the tube that goes around the right side of the battery channel the air to my short ram itake? or should I take that out?
What else can I do to lose weight? I myself weigh a buck fifty so I am not the problem :lol: . Carbon fiber hoods break the bank and I am not sure of the safety of those.
What else can I do? No matter how much it looses wheight.

·
^
4,197 Posts
The ST seats are non-powered, so they probably aren't that heavy to start with, you may gain as easily as you lose weight by switching to 7th gen seats. 5th gen GTS seats on the other hand weigh around 55lbs for the drivers side.

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm wait wait......

i see 4AFE in there.:eek: .....i never knew they had 4AFE for Celicas... usually its 5S-FE, 3SG(T)E, 7A-FE..... my first time ever seeing 4AFE in a ST182..

you can relocate your batter to the trunk for little less weight in the front.:rolleyes:

·
^
4,197 Posts
AT18X Celicas were the ST models, they weren't sold in Canada. The 5th gen had the 4AFE and the 6th had the 7AFE as their base motors everywhere except Canada.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm from the USA baby!
I am now going to find a thread on the relocation of my battery.
It is probably better for my subs anyhow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could take your back seats out, carpet, all the little things. AC compressor, Power Steering Pump, passenger seat. center console, dash cover, lighter rims, what ever.. Be Creative. The ac compressor alone is about 30-35 bls the Power Steering pump on my 3SGE was 20lbs at least so I mean get rid of stuff. That black tube that goes in the fender is for the intake You could take it out or replace it with more tubing make it clold air intake. Redo ur full exhaust system get a header and thing again like I said.

Jeremy

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by car is a stripped version no a/c:D, no power windows, no power locks, no sun roof. I am not going to take out my power steering I like power steering. It's safer with it. Plus you can't sell a car w/o it. I still want Ideas. I am thinking of takeing out the fan on my car. That thing behind the glove box is huge!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Power Steering only helps when ur sitting still and barely moving. Whats wrong with parking a lil farther out we all should walk more :).

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
If you have subs, you're not serious enough about stripping the car...theres 20 lbs free!

If those are chrome wheels and not covers, change them for steelies or alloy's. Chrome is heavy shit.

lose the cherry bomb and go to a Ti muffler. JIC likely have them.

How serious are you about it is really the question...

a race shell seat helps too, but is about as comfortable as concrete.

Ultimately, do it the way Supra owners do...just get some or more boost and overcome it :D

·
My Dixie Wrecked
603 Posts
Blane said:
Yeah I'm from the USA baby!
I am now going to find a thread on the relocation of my battery.
It is probably better for my subs anyhow.
Wait, wait, wait!! :confused:
Let me get this straight... You're trying so hard to strip out as much weight as you possible can from your car, that you've bothered to replace a powered antena with a non-powered one (save a couple of pounds, if you're lucky). And yet, you are saying that you have subs (plural) mounted in the car?!?!
Can you say:
HOLY CONFLICT OF INTERESTS BATMAN!!!:headbang:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey man I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my bass. I want to loose weight but I ain't looseing my subs. I actually have two amplifiers two 10" subs and 2 6.5 subs in my back dash. I no if I want her skinny i must ditch em. However I am not that desperate. I want to loose wheight to ofset the wheight of my sound system.

Oh and a side note I took of my crappy steelie covers. They are dumb and make you a poser. So I bought some tire shine and shined up em steelies. looks sweet.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Two amps, two 10" subs and two 6.5" subs (i'm gonna assume you mean speakers). That's a lot of weight. If you like your bass, lose the 10" subs, lose the two amps and replace with one larger quality sub and one quality amp.... you'll save weight..and still have decent bass.

Oh, and chk your tires. Toyo T1-S tires are pretty light... and find a smaller, lighter battery to make up for the weight you'll gain from the heavy gauge wire you'll need to run the battery from the trunk to the front.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
If you want light weight rip out everything non-essential for racing. I might repost what others said, but here goes..

Stock hood and trunk > Carbon Fiber replacement
Back seats and passenger seat > Take out
Rear windows and rear windshield > Super strength plexiglass
Spare equipment > Take out (including tools)
Steelies > Super light weight alloys
Dash > Carbon Fiber
Gauges > Carbon Fiber
Carpet > Take out
Engine tuning > Lighter stronger metals
Suspension tuning > Reduce weight, lighter parts
Frame > Lighter stronger frame (dif options available)
Body, Front & Rear bumpers > Carbon Fiber
Drivetrain tuning > Reduce weight, lighter parts
Audio equipment > Take everything out (equip., wires, etc)

Reduce, reduce, reduce.

Those are just some of the usual things, you can do more. Gives you some ideas at least. That is IF you have that much money.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
weight reduction for a street car.....oxymoron.....:rolleyes:

how much faster do u think u'll really go??...unless ur taking 1xx or more weight off the car....then u'll feel a difference....i find it funny at the track that ppls do everything to strip the car....just to run 1/100th of a second faster...i prefer to run in full street trim.....only things removed are loose items in car.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was able to remove about 140lbs :) But I mean I prolly could even take more out but I dont want to now.
Backseats were heavy like 60lbs with brakets.
Spare was 20lbs it was a fullsize
AC compressor was 30-35lbs
Powersteering pump was 20-25
Not to mention no splash gaurds at all about 5-15bs
little brackets here and there bout 10lbs

I mean do what ever. Like we have all said.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
My friend told me about someone who wanted to do this....One thing they did that you haven't mentioned is they cut off everything behind the back wheels because none of that does anything...You could also cut off the top and take out all the windows..:lol:

·
Doin' it for the shorties
61 Posts
UfoZ8myCow said:
the antenna thing made me laugh. how much could a power antenna weigh? 10? 12 ounces? big difference there between that and a non power antenna...how much do you really think thatll hold you back? especially when youve got all that other audio junk in the trunk.
It made me laugh too. I would imagine that any gains from the lower weight of the regular antenna were negated by the extra drag added from an antenna that's always extended. Heh.

·
Registered
102 Posts
from an st driver to another....

stop trying to drop weight.... save the cash an do the 4a-ge (20v) swap that will bring you up from 103 hp to 160 hp with mild mods the 4a-ge has more potential than the 5s-fe (in the gt's). no I don't have a write up because I am so far away from all garages that are willing to do something like it, plus it is illegal to do here in Germany. You are in North America the options are unlimited.
By the way you will still be limited to what your computer will allow you to do speed wise I am lucky mine is limited to 135mph and yes I have the same car.
David

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.