Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Taco. P265/70/16 tires.

I am looking for NON-cable tire chains.

I am a school bus driver and love the cam lock style chains that I use on my bus. However I am open to all suggestions on what and where to buy. I live in Western Oregon, in the Yamhill Valley.

Do you prefer diamond style or ladder style.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Have you any idea why the manual says to NOT use chains? They sure want to CTA by having us sign a seperate notice that we were told NOT to use them.
Just curious, I don't even plan on going to the snow, maybe once a year if that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
roatan4us said:
Have you any idea why the manual says to NOT use chains? They sure want to CTA by having us sign a seperate notice that we were told NOT to use them.
Just curious, I don't even plan on going to the snow, maybe once a year if that.

My manual says chains in the rear only, not none at all. Maybe a difference for the PreRunner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm my manual says to make sure the rear chains are tight and not loose.

Then goes into detail about the proper size chain.

Nothing about not using front chains and I have used front and rear chains before just not in the last 10 years.

Any other suggestions besides ol Les Schwab...

tgger61

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chains, ha, ha your in for a surprise

tgger61 said:
hmmm my manual says to make sure the rear chains are tight and not loose.

Then goes into detail about the proper size chain.

Nothing about not using front chains and I have used front and rear chains before just not in the last 10 years.

Any other suggestions besides ol Les Schwab...

tgger61
You need to do a search on this forum for "chains" or "suspension" are read the post by barmour and you'll have some good info. Long & short is you may not be able to run any chains on the 05-07 taco if you have the 265/70/16 or equiv size 17 inch (only 3/8 inch clearance on mine between UCA and tire sidewall). When your facing the front tire reach over the top appx 2-2:30 o'clock position (not the 12 o'clock strut housing/knuckle) and about halfway down the other side of tire sidewall you'll feel the UCA assembly right by the tire tread. Unless running the smaller type tires ie...245 size or skinner tires I think any chains would be dangerous to the suspension and the rubber grease boot housing on the suspension.

·
Registered
241 Posts
06Sport said:
no chains in the front. No room for them.
Not exactly true, I ran chains on the front tires of my truck, the problem is they must be centered almost perfectly. I also emailed the dealer and was sent this back.

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif]Thanks for checking w/us on your chains.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif]I called Service just to confirm my thoughts and yes, it's OK to put chains on the front tires, especially since you have 4x4 - plenty of clearance.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif]Check also w/Les Schwab - those guys know trucks pretty well (plus if you don't use your chains at all they'll return all your money when you take them back).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif]I would call your service department and see what they say. I ran with them on for a while and had a little rubbing at higher speeds, but at slow speeds, or when centered, they were fine.[/FONT]​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.