Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm a new guy here with a bit of a problem. I have an 88 pickup with the 22re. It starts and runs fine when cold, and runs fine when it's warm, but does not start well when it's warm.

When I try to start it after it's still warm from being run say 1/2 an hour ago it takes several seconds to fire. The starter cranks it over fine, but it just takes a long time to start. I took it in to a mechanic and they got a code for the cold start injection time switch. They said the fuel filter needed to be replaced as well and told me to see if that worked that before they got into the injection stuff. Needless to say it still doesn't start when it's warm. I'm hesitant about taking it in again because I don't believe the cold start injection switch would have anything to do with it since I'm having issues starting it warm.

Do you all have any insight to my problem?

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
your cold start injector is most likly in opertion when it sgouldn't be

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the cold start is on when it shouldn't be, wouldn't that flood the engine if it's taking that long to crank, as opposed to starting hard? That is my line of thought (correct me if I'm wrong, it's very likely). And with my line of thought, I would imagine that the cold start injector isn't the issue with this problem. Again, I might be totally off-base with that assumption, but I figured I'd through it out there to see what you all think.

Update on the situation. This might add more questions than answers, but I did some experimenting with the cold start sensor. First, I verified that it would start fine with the sensor unplugged when cold, which it did. Then after it was warm, I tried to start it again with the sensor unplugged and it still started difficultly. So I'm not sure if that the sensor is okay, or if I should pull the sensor anyway and test it using the warm water method.

At the shop they told me that the "Cold Start Injector Time Switch" code was on #1 and #2. So does that mean that the problem may be with the injectors themselves on cylinders 1 and 2. Or is there an actual Cold Start Injector Time Switch that lies between the sensor and the injectors that may be the culprit?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested the sensor itself and that checks out. Is there any way to test the switch? And if there is, where is it located?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts