Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a96 Camry v6 automatic..it starts up perfectly when cold
If the engine is warm, the car starts up, stumbles at idle and dies..unless I give it some gas.

I replaced the idle air valve, but what else could it be? I dont want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere one day and then the car refuses to start even if I give it some gas...

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
I'd check for codes first, and then think about whatever I saw in the data stream, such as TPS voltage, coolant and air intake temp, and air gm/sec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soudns very technical....

the refresh rate for data w/ an OBDII reader is very low..i dont thnk it would update fast renough during the tmie it takes to start teh engine and then for it to stall...

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
I have never found the data refresh rate to be a factor that prevents diagnosis or repair.

While we would all like the ecm environment to be more imediate and versatile, the current technoogy for live data streams is extremely useful. You can take that data and map it for trend analysis and watch how it responds for action/reaction testing. Comparing the data stream sensor values to known and expected values tells us what the computer is using for its computations from moment to moment, and I can tell you from personal experience that such an approach is very effective when used within the entire scope of diagnostics.

By pulling any available codes and looking at the data, it is often possible to determine that the problem is not sensor or ecm related. That said, when there is a difference in behavior between a cold start and a warm start in a system where temperatures are measured and appropriate control commands are issued, the chances of a sensor/computer/actuator issue go way up.

By now, I would have not only pulled codes and mapped cold vs warm data trends and done any required pinpoint testing, but I would also have checked the fuel pump output under both conditions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 99 v6 has the same issue. the cel kept comming on, i thought it was due to the stalling but it turned out to be the egr sensor switch had failed. since replacing it the stalling has only happened 2 or 3 times. look in the service manual, it tells you how to test the egr sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts