Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts
Ok, perhaps 18 deg F isn't cold to some of you, but even then, I never let my car idle longer than it took me to put on the seatbelt and maybe adjust the radio. Car warms up quick once it is moving. Only issue really was the transmission was shifting rough for a few minutes, but there is no way around that. Just take it easy for the first few minutes of driving.

I remember I ran my 6.0L diesel for about 5 min once and put the throttle lock at 1200 to try to get it to warm up faster but it was just as cold when I went back in. The next day, I just started it and drove off. It was almost near operating temp after 1/2 mi. Diesels operate different though so I'm not sure how relevant this is.

If its early in the morning and its a cold start after sitting all night or w.e, I usually try to warm it up for 5 mins or so before I drive off...

Or I im in the car and I have time, i usually wait either a minute, or wait until the needle starts to move if i have more time...

If im in a hurry, i usually just wait like 30 seconds or so and just drive it easy until it warms up ... and then I drive it hard (if still in a rush)

i know this is old, but i was just reading threw this while bored at work, and i have a question... Is it good or bad to warm up your car, i warm up mine daily, dont need to lock it since i live in a neighborhood that my camry isnt exactly the car one would want to steal(my neighbors around me have a lot better selection)
but punks said that its not good for the car to run idle??? if so why?
and btw here in florida the law was put in that you cant leave your car unattending while the motor is running, but to my understanding it was put in place for ppl running into stores/gas stations and leaving the car on and come back to nothing, insurance got tired of paying for cars when its the owners fault. im sure leaving your car running in your own drivway wouldnt qualify for a ticket... sorry so long and sorry so old..

^never heard that be4. so dont close pls. like Radar is illegal in my state not other place, this is just for share
I found a way around this Kenny. Kind of. :naughty:

According to the CEC, idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today’s modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before putting the car into gear." - http://www.galesburg.com/features/x1409359407/Idling-not-good-for-engine-and-can-be-illegal

Absolutely. In winter usually I only let my car idle for about 15~20 seconds and drive immediately and the heater start to blow warm air in 3~4min, always keep the rpm low and it will be fully warmed up after driving for about 7~8min. but if I let it sit and idle, it took almost three time longer to fully warm up the car.

during winter ill let it idle for a minute or so then drive. though sometimes i just get in, wait 5 seconds, turn on heated seats, and go. during summer i look to get in car as fast as possible and get away from home as fast as possible :lol:

warm it up with one of these bad boys :D

anyways , there is a lot of controversy with warming your car up and stuff.

A lot of people say its best to let it warm up under load and what not. Some say that it warms the motor up but not the transmisssion and its oils. But I was told it still does through conduction of heat. A lot of different thoughts though.

best buy and local shops don't give reviews =;
Good point.

Dont get a 1 way unless you really want one or are tight on money.
I would HIGHLY recommend you pay a bit more for a 2-way.

WHY? okay, a lot of times I start my car while I;m finishing class, and walking towards my car. I like to warm it up before hand and while Im still on campus Ill start it. With a one way, im always afraid im too far. Say I press it , I dont know if its on or not unless I SEE it but then I might not see the lights on due to sun or something. So say it doesnt start, 5 minutes later I get to my car and bam its nice and cold. Situation 2 , I start my car and its started but i dont think it started and i press it again turning it off. Bam cold car. Unless your car is always in your garage and you are lazy to physically open the cars door and start it , I would highly recommend a 2 way.

A 2 way will give you a confirmation of its actions. Example, I can sit in my apartment and double check if i locked my doors or not, and lock it while im sitting and KNOW it has been locked. I can start my car and it will either give me a confirmation tone or an error tone. Also it will even warn me when the car timer is running low. So i can either restart it (add 12 more minutes) or let it run out. Thats just the remote start, the alarm feature will have your remote go off letting you know that the alarm has been triggered, so you dont have to HEAR your car alarm to know that it has went off.

umm, what else ...
there are fancy things such as temperature reading, turbo timer stuff etc.

I hve one in my accord which is a 5speed manual, there is a manual transmission mode where you have to in a way "arm" the car to allow it to start, its just a sequence of things you have to do or else you cant start it the next day. Its just a sequence where the car will end up in neutral and wont be in any gear. So you get to your parking spot you need to .. hit the brake, pull the ebrake, hit the remote start button, take the key out and get out of the car, the car is still running, and then once you lock the doors the car will turn off.

I personally dont have my car in that mode :lol::facepalm: because if you were to open the door or something , it cancels the sequence because of the possibility that the gear lever has been moved, therefore having to go through it all again.

Oh ya i forgot to mention that another handy feature is when you want to run into the store but dont want to turn the car up since its just in and out. If you hit the remote start button, you can remove the key and the car will remain on. and when you get back you can put the key back and get on your way

I sorta just wrote what ever was on my mind. No formal review, if you have questions let me know and ill try to answer them.

Have installed the 5101, 5301, 5501 my self and have used them all on a day to day basis.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.