Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,927 Posts
what I want to know is... Is there any damage to the car if it's not warm yet and hit highway speed? Like start the car and get on the highway almost right away doing 70mph.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
what I want to know is... Is there any damage to the car if it's not warm yet and hit highway speed? Like start the car and get on the highway almost right away doing 70mph.
From all the car shows i've watched, read etc. All you need to do is start it, let it run 30 seconds to get the fluids cycling and you're good. As long as you take it easy and not hammering the gas right off a cold start.

By the time you get to the highway your car should be at optimal temperature.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you turn your car on and let it run for 10 secs and hold your hand over the engine you'll start the feel heat. Engines warm up pretty quick. The other parts of the car that might need to be warmed up, like the throttle body, have a radiator hose running to them from the engine to help them warm up quickly at start up and stay, relatively, cool at operating temps. The heat in cars also uses radiator fluid from the hot side of the engine to create the heat that you feel inside of the car. Most automatic transmissions also have a spot directly on the the radiator also, but some have there own separate mini radiators called transmission coolers. Realistically transmissions will get some heat from the engines to warm up, but they wont really get to operating temperatures until they are being used, meaning until they start moving the car and shifting through gears.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
My car is rough when cold, like a crazy horse... :eek: Just like the owner, rough on the edges in the morning... :lol: I always wait till it calms down before even touching it. lol

·
Registered
586 Posts
My car is rough when cold, like a crazy horse... :eek: Just like the owner, rough on the edges in the morning... :lol: I always wait till it calms down before even touching it. lol
:rofl:

From all the car shows i've watched, read etc. All you need to do is start it, let it run 30 seconds to get the fluids cycling and you're good. As long as you take it easy and not hammering the gas right off a cold start.

By the time you get to the highway your car should be at optimal temperature.
oh really its just sometimes i would want to step outside to a nice warm car without stepping outside u know :smokin:

my bro got his IS300 done for $500 something and its good
yeah if i was to get it installed i would also want to spend a nice amount of money on it just so it wont be a cheap mod u know, it cost to be the boss :thumbsup:

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
If it drops to -40 (and it does where i am) I give it an extra min or two to warm up, but i have heated seats and they heat up fast so i am warm. I also park in my garage (not heated) so that keeps some of the cold out too.

If you want to waste gas and let it idle for 5 mins to warm up, by all means.

·
=]
3,690 Posts
If it drops to -40 (and it does where i am) I give it an extra min or two to warm up, but i have heated seats and they heat up fast so i am warm. I also park in my garage (not heated) so that keeps some of the cold out too.

If you want to waste gas and let it idle for 5 mins to warm up, by all means.
What about when your parked outside? I would personally take more than an extra minute or two, sometimes 10 minutes. I dont know about you, but when your sitting in a cold car holding a cold steering wheel, your body temp will decrease since your sitting there. I like to drive my car when my heat actually blows warm air. I like to have a nice comfy ride to where ever i am going rather than shaking in my seat, hearing my teeth chattering for 10 minutes.
Get into a car thats been outside for a few days in the cold? It's going to take a while to heat that cabin up...

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I hate sitting in a cold car. :lol:

It has to be nice and warm and soft... :ugh3: :D

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
What about when your parked outside? I would personally take more than an extra minute or two, sometimes 10 minutes. I dont know about you, but when your sitting in a cold car holding a cold steering wheel, your body temp will decrease since your sitting there. I like to drive my car when my heat actually blows warm air. I like to have a nice comfy ride to where ever i am going rather than shaking in my seat, hearing my teeth chattering for 10 minutes.
Get into a car thats been outside for a few days in the cold? It's going to take a while to heat that cabin up...
To each his own. I love the winter and am well adjusted to the cold temps. So it doesn't bother me to get in a cold car. The heated seats warm me up. Half the time once the car cabin is warm i shut the air right off.

I hate sitting in a cold car. :lol:

It has to be nice and warm and soft... :ugh3: :D
You live in LA....it never gets cold (compared to here....)

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Who's comparing? I feel what I feel. ;)

-------------------------------------------

I got a quote for $350 for alarm and remote start (factory upgrade) so I'll be using the same key, etc. Is it good? The installer works for dealers BTW. ;)

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
6,677 Posts
i got quoted 220 installed for my smart key. uses oem fob and all. no need for alarm bc have one already lol. 500 if i wanna be able to start my car with iphone. i'll do it sooner or later lol. idk about the more expensive option though lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yep you need a subscription, but when you buy the system the first year's included and you have to pay for every subsequent year. It works for the Iphone, BlackBerry, and Droid.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
6,677 Posts
yep. its nice but idk. i just need to be able to start my car from work and my house lol.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not only that but you also wasted gas. With gas prices we currently have I only use my remote start in the morning to warm up my car since its been all night in the cold. However I dont think car goes back to Cold in less than an hour while your getting some groceries. It might get cold inside but as soon as you turn your heat back on it will throw out warm air since it hasnt been that long.
Modern engines use very little fuel at idle. I think i read a long time ago a big V8 only uses one cup of gas to idle 8-10 minutes. I imagine a smaller toyota 4 cyl or even V6 uses even less gas at idle.

Personally i wouldn't worry about wasting much fuel by idling 5 minutes to warm your car up. I'm sure we waste a hell of a lot more then that sitting in traffic.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
i got quoted 220 installed for my smart key. uses oem fob and all. no need for alarm bc have one already lol. 500 if i wanna be able to start my car with iphone. i'll do it sooner or later lol. idk about the more expensive option though lol.
Do you push start on yours?

I wish I had push start, then I would definitely get one. Otherwise, I figure if I have to get my keys out of my pocket anyway to start the car... I'll pass on the whole shebang.

I want push start lol. Any way to converting to one? haha

41 - 60 of 89 Posts