Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For those who say to wait only 1 or 2 mins, What if all of the windows are iced up? I don't think 1 or 2 minutes is enough to clear them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Modern engines use very little fuel at idle. I think i read a long time ago a big V8 only uses one cup of gas to idle 8-10 minutes. I imagine a smaller toyota 4 cyl or even V6 uses even less gas at idle.

Personally i wouldn't worry about wasting much fuel by idling 5 minutes to warm your car up. I'm sure we waste a hell of a lot more then that sitting in traffic.
Find that hard to believe... live in center of Canada and it got cold a week or so back.

My mileage has gone from 11.2 to 15.3 in city driving...

And I do NOT idle the car.

Gary

PS... that is as in L/100 Km.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Who's comparing? I feel what I feel. ;)

-------------------------------------------

I got a quote for $350 for alarm and remote start (factory upgrade) so I'll be using the same key, etc. Is it good? The installer works for dealers BTW. ;)
$350 from toyota?

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
For those who say to wait only 1 or 2 mins, What if all of the windows are iced up? I don't think 1 or 2 minutes is enough to clear them!
Window scraper...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Window scraper...
I tried, but it didn't work. There's still a thin ice on the windows, especially the windshield (My car is parked right at the wind). I also tried de-iced products, but it was useless. If I'm able to do this in as little as 1-2 minutes, I won't be 5 minutes late everytime I go pick up my friend early Sunday morning.
My friend used a few buckets of warm/hot water to pour on his car every morning :rolleyes:, and he can get his car ready in as little as 3 minutes (to clear the fog).

I may need a remote starter, for I have class early next quarter!

·
=]
3,690 Posts
I tried, but it didn't work. There's still a thin ice on the windows, especially the windshield (My car is parked right at the wind). I also tried de-iced products, but it was useless. If I'm able to do this in as little as 1-2 minutes, I won't be 5 minutes late everytime I go pick up my friend early Sunday morning.
My friend used a few buckets of warm/hot water to pour on his car every morning :rolleyes:, and he can get his car ready in as little as 3 minutes (to clear the fog).

He does know that materials expand or contract under certain conditions? Such a temperature shock from hot water onto cold glass can cause it to crack ...

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
No, but the shop works for the dealer for installing alarms. So yea I guess u can say it's from the dealer, except a much cheper price. :D

How's it going Lynch? :naughty:
Nah, the dealer should be installing these things themselves, they usually outsource body work and aftermarket stuff to a specific body shop.

Anyway, OEM remote start system sucks because the engine turns off and you need to restart the car every time.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Not the dealer here, that's what I thought too but they have some guy comes in and do the work. That's why we have to make an appointment for installing alarms and same thing when you have a problem with your alarm, you have to wait till the guy comes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
what would be the best remote start device to use? i'd rather go with toyota's oem one but seems like some of you guys don't like it much. i'm seeing it for 369 that's a bit steep and labor for toyota dealership to install it will be 292 :-/ basically i want it to be able to turn on the car warm it up and i don't want to have to carry anything extra with the key. so i'm guessing it's going to have to be OEM unless some other remote start devices can somehow use the key to work?

i have a 2007 toyota camry se.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Warm water on frozen glass can shatter the glass. If you use water it shouldn't be hot or warm. maybe you should invest in a heated window scraper.

·
Registered
413 Posts
what would be the best remote start device to use? i'd rather go with toyota's oem one but seems like some of you guys don't like it much. i'm seeing it for 369 that's a bit steep and labor for toyota dealership to install it will be 292 :-/ basically i want it to be able to turn on the car warm it up and i don't want to have to carry anything extra with the key. so i'm guessing it's going to have to be OEM unless some other remote start devices can somehow use the key to work?

i have a 2007 toyota camry se.
Toyota's alarm and remote start doesn't come with as many features as after market alarms and remote start systems and it costs just as much. If you don't want anything added to you key ring then the only thing that I know of is Vipers Smart Start, but if you think that $369 is expensive then you won't even want to look at the price of the Smart Start cause it's more expensive before the installation fee is added.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Toyota's alarm and remote start doesn't come with as many features as after market alarms and remote start systems and it costs just as much. If you don't want anything added to you key ring then the only thing that I know of is Vipers Smart Start, but if you think that $369 is expensive then you won't even want to look at the price of the Smart Start cause it's more expensive before the installation fee is added.
plus one thing i hate: when u open the door the car shuts off then u have to start it again :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
=]
3,690 Posts
^ as stated you have the smart start option but you can also get the viper unit and to reduce bulkiness you can use your valet key with the viper remote. You wont have access to open your trunk with the key or lock the glove box but the viper will have the trunk popper or you can open it from the latch (who actually uses their key for the trunk)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
^^^ im talking about the one from Toyota nor the viper. viper stuffs are good my bro loves it.

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts

Time to buy a better window scraper.

Either that or go work out at the gym so you get bigger and stronger and are better able to utilize your current window scraper to its maximum potential.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Time to buy a better window scraper.

Either that or go work out at the gym so you get bigger and stronger and are better able to utilize your current window scraper to its maximum potential.
He does know that materials expand or contract under certain conditions? Such a temperature shock from hot water onto cold glass can cause it to crack ...
Warm water on frozen glass can shatter the glass. If you use water it shouldn't be hot or warm. maybe you should invest in a heated window scraper.
I don't know how hot/warm the water is. Once I came to his home early, I saw a lot of water on the ground (it was not raining the night before), and he replied briefly that he had just prepared his sister's car so that she could go to work. (I used the :rolleyes: icon in my post; I guess you guys know what I mean).
Yeah, which window scrapper should I use? Honestly, I don't have time for gym; I'd like to spend the time for my class and my students.
My car doesn't have the alarm, so if I go with the OEM remote starter, it will cost me like 650+. I still haven't decided yet. If the dealer can install the remote starter, can they reprogram the car so that the engine only shuts off when the car is put out of park without the key in the ignition?

61 - 80 of 89 Posts