Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Doesn't surprise me in Canada. Canada has a major reputation for car theft. Been going on for decades. When my daughter played high-school softball - the team went to this big tournament near Montreal. During the 2 week tournament 40+ cars were stolen from the parking lot. Happened the following year too. Teams in the states stopped going because of the extremely high car theft rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL.
Official Toyota's spokeman said

"If a garage is not accessible, park another less desirable vehicle in front of your vehicle," Shum suggested... "

What a moron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't surprise me in Canada. Canada has a major reputation for car theft. Been going on for decades. When my daughter played high-school softball - the team went to this big tournament near Montreal. During the 2 week tournament 40+ cars were stolen from the parking lot. Happened the following year too. Teams in the states stopped going because of the extremely high car theft rate.
The vehicle theft rate per 100.000 people had always been higher in the USA compared to Canada.This has changed in 2017.
For 2018 the vehicle thefts per 100.000 residents were
228.9 in the USA
232.2 in Canada.
Some areas higher theft rate some lower.
We had lost a car in New York city,also all wheels on our car another time there.
It is good be informed when traveling.From that article I found the Toyota rep.arogant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess that's the advantage with the LE, good ole key. No need to worry about this.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,507 Posts
If people are determined, then almost nothing you do will deter them but you can do the best you can whether that is NOT having a smart key or getting a car club. I have this car club that I typically don't use because my area is not as a bad as it seems. I also just have a physical key, no key fob at all. Makes for good exercise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Seems like a steering wheel lock bar is an easy way to go. Kind of a hassle if you live in a crime area, but useful when traveling to a big city. Also, keeping the fob in a Faraday/RFID wallet is simple and easy, though it won't protect against the standard break-in methods combined with the diagnostic port hack.

·
2019 Le Plus
113 Posts
Are Toyota's easier to steal then other brands or are they just targeted for their higher resale/parts value?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,507 Posts
Are you kidding? Those things are a joke. Go to YouTube and you can find videos of how to defeat them in less then 5 seconds
If people are that determined to take your vehicle, nothing will stop them. This is just a precaution for the ones who are looking for a quick ride. Otherwise much like the political climate, complain and not do anything or do something and complain.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tried an RFID pouch that I had. Car locked, fob in pouch, walked up to the car touched the handle and guess what it opened lol. This pouch prevented a cell phone inside it from ringing but not the fob inside it from sending a signal. So tried a small cookie type tin and that works a charm as good as wrapping the fob in tin foil. RFID pouches/wallets, test them first. Old school always the best lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tried an RFID pouch that I had. Car locked, fob in pouch, walked up to the car touched the handle and guess what it opened lol. This pouch prevented a cell phone inside it from ringing but not the fob inside it from sending a signal. So tried a small cookie type tin and that works a charm as good as wrapping the fob in tin foil. RFID pouches/wallets, test them first. Old school always the best lol
Many pouches have two slots, one RFID and the other not. Make sure you put it in the right one. Mine works fine.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
After my recent disastrous attempt to teach a ditzy blonde how to drive a manual transmission. I'm convinced I have the best theft deterrent possible.

Manual transmission
Inside a locked garage
Light sleeping owner in bedroom directly above locked garage with a Marlin 1894 with 10 rounds of 44 mag

·
Registered
827 Posts
Seems like a steering wheel lock bar is an easy way to go. Kind of a hassle if you live in a crime area, but useful when traveling to a big city. Also, keeping the fob in a Faraday/RFID wallet is simple and easy, though it won't protect against the standard break-in methods combined with the diagnostic port hack.
A real anti-theft system has to be something that is not an off-the-shelf product (even if it is, the installation & triggering set-up needs to be unique/different than standard or have two different systems working in conjunction..), so a thief can not quickly figure out how to get the car started - unless being towed away, if he/she wants it bad enough, they will get it one way or another as one of the member already mentioned above.
Even with an anti-theft system (noticed that I have Not used the term "theft deterrent system"), owner should expect at the minimum we can get a broken window if not more damages imposed by an unsuccessful pissed-off thief.

Steering wheel lock, wheel locks, window stickers saying xxxx protected are what I called theft deterrent; basically telling those chumps don't mess with this car unless you have tools in hand and a little extra time (say 10 extra seconds)...otherwise, go to the next car... In several studies, some of those theft deterrent devices are actually more attractive to small time chumps serve as an challenge to their skills than deterred them - LOL.

Personally, either install one of those silent vehicle trackers (seriously); or if it isn't for public safety, jokingly, I would most definitely install the anti-theft system 007 style (see video below).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts