Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 9k miles my 2021 Highlander Platinum AWD started to shake when braking from 60-65mph. At the 10k courtesy service I asked Toyota Northridge CA to check it up.
I got a call back, they confirmed the problem and claimed is was due to my excessive driving! They have checked the computer and it reads several “Accelerator signal and brake signal input simultaneously”.
So they refuse to accept my claim within the warranty and asked $950 to get the work done.
I objected, I never push the brake and gas pedal at the same time, I'm a driver of profession and know how to drive.
When picking up the car I asked for the computer printout. See attachment with the six green highlighted lines. They explained Elapsed time H:M:S. So according to the report the two signals has been activated between 42.9 sec – 1h 56 min 46.9 sec! The longest almost 2h is event #5.
I asked if the really believe anyone would be able the push gas and brake pedals at the same time for 2 hours! Answer – This is what we read.
May 7, 5:26PM I was on the freeway 14/395 from LA to Mammoth Lakes. So I believe there must be something wrong either with the brakes or a sensor.
Before I contact Toyota I would to hear if anyone else have the same issue?
Any idea what might be the problem?
I have also attached the notes made by Toyota Northridge

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
No but that’s really strange. Looks like your brake discs are warped due to heat and excessive braking. Could it be that some kind of calibration on the brake wasn’t done right, causing the car to brake? And how about cruise control… I didn’t properly look at your files but if this is true you must have had problems with cruise control disengaging IF you were braking all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
514 Posts
After about 9k miles my 2021 Highlander Platinum AWD started to shake when braking from 60-65mph. At the 10k courtesy service I asked Toyota Northridge CA to check it up.
I got a call back, they confirmed the problem and claimed is was due to my excessive driving! They have checked the computer and it reads several “Accelerator signal and brake signal input simultaneously”.
So they refuse to accept my claim within the warranty and asked $950 to get the work done.
I objected, I never push the brake and gas pedal at the same time, I'm a driver of profession and know how to drive.
When picking up the car I asked for the computer printout. See attachment with the six green highlighted lines. They explained Elapsed time H:M:S. So according to the report the two signals has been activated between 42.9 sec – 1h 56 min 46.9 sec! The longest almost 2h is event #5.
I asked if the really believe anyone would be able the push gas and brake pedals at the same time for 2 hours! Answer – This is what we read.
May 7, 5:26PM I was on the freeway 14/395 from LA to Mammoth Lakes. So I believe there must be something wrong either with the brakes or a sensor.
Before I contact Toyota I would to hear if anyone else have the same issue?
Any idea what might be the problem?
I have also attached the notes made by Toyota Northridge
Are you a two foot driver? One foot on the accelerator the other on the brake? When the computer reads 'accelerator signal and brake signal input simultaneously' that typically means you are pressing both simultaneously something that only two foot drivers do. If this is what your doing, then you need to unlearn this bad habit drive with one foot on the accelerator and pivot to the brake as needed.

Is this a Toyota problem? Two foot driving isn't, its a driver problem. Sorry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you a two foot driver? One foot on the accelerator the other on the brake? When the computer reads 'accelerator signal and brake signal input simultaneously' that typically means you are pressing both simultaneously something that only two foot drivers do. If this is what your doing, then you need to unlearn this bad habit drive with one foot on the accelerator and pivot to the brake as needed.

Have you missed I'm a professional driver? I have spent a few 1000k behind the wheel and most of my cars have had stick shifts. Reason for this AT is an issue with my left foot which excludes a driving with two feet. Sorry, never assume.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No but that’s really strange. Looks like your brake discs are warped due to heat and excessive braking. Could it be that some kind of calibration on the brake wasn’t done right, causing the car to brake? And how about cruise control… I didn’t properly look at your files but if this is true you must have had problems with cruise control disengaging IF you were braking all the time.
Very good input about the cruise control. Thanks. Most on the time on 14 ad 395 I had the cruise control on to avoid a ticket.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,089 Posts

X2, sounds like the issue is the driver here and not the car. I have 4k miles and no issues with warpage or any signs of it starting. Stop using your left foot to brake.

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
682 Posts
LA to Mammoth Lakes... I don't see a need for left-foot braking on highways 14 and 395.

I can't remember what Toyota does, but in my experience with VW's, if you try to left foot brake, the ECU cuts power 100%, thanks to CBS trying to accuse Audi's of unintended acceleration back in the 80's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X2, sounds like the issue is the driver here and not the car. I have 4k miles and no issues with warpage or any signs of it starting. Stop using your left foot to brake.
Really? First, I cannot use my left foot driving. Second, CC was on most of the time driving May 7, engaging the brakes would stop the CC, right? Third, do you believe any two foot driver would have gas and brake angaged for almost 2 hours?

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Really? First, I cannot use my left foot driving. Second, CC was on most of the time driving May 7, engaging the brakes would stop the CC, right? Third, do you believe any two foot driver would have gas and brake angaged for almost 2 hours?
Well, I have seen people driving on the highway with the brake on the whole time because they are resting their foot on the pedal. But yes, cruise should disengage. The computer won’t lie though if it shows both inputs at the same time. Could always try another dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum
128 Posts
I had the problem with discs getting warped when I had my Camry. I was told that it was my driving but in fact it was the cruise control. I did have the repairs done under warranty though. The stop and go braking is harsh and it is especially harsh when you are cutoff at highway speeds and the car decides to brake. I rarely use the cruise control now for that reason.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I had the problem with discs getting warped when I had my Camry. I was told that it was my driving but in fact it was the cruise control. I did have the repairs done under warranty though. The stop and go braking is harsh and it is especially harsh when you are cutoff at highway speeds and the car decides to brake. I rarely use the cruise control now for that reason.
Good point. Radar does have a tendency to slam on the brakes hard when someone cuts you off or just gets in your lane. You don't have to be near them either. I be surprised that would cause that much wear/abuse though.

Reactions: corollacoaster

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wonder if there is a safety feature like collision avoidance actuating the brake automatically when you get too close to something and sending data to the "black box" . If so The mechanic should to a shakedown drive then read the black box again to verify. Perhaps it can be recalibrated if you aren't an habitual tailgater or you get cut off very frequently by other drivers.. On some roadways, drivers close in to each other so others trying to merge can't get in front of them, or they speed around larger vehicles so they can see ahead, but slow down after they cut you off. It's very hard to maintain a margin when everyone else is driving that way.

Rotors aren't so expensive and changing them is not very complicated. I had that "shake" situation years ago in my Corolla and simply put in a set of new rotors for $50 and about an hour of my own wrenching in the driveway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the computer on the OP's vehicle is correct, it would appear that there is a very aggressive driving style.
Scores of references to "Accelerator pedal at medium or higher angle immediately after shifting into a gear".
Both forward and reverse. Also mentions heavy breaking several times. May or may not have caused the warping.
I would not let the OP borrow my vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
546 Posts
It is seriously doubtful that any driver would ride the brake for two hours constant unless inadvertently using the brake as a foot rest.

The real question is....if this was the case, or a defect in the antibrake pump how come the cluster display didn't display a warning message to the driver that the brake and accelerator pedal were both depressed at the same time???? My Rav does when power braking climbing up a set or ramps.

edit - I just remembered that I got the same brake and accelerator pedal both depressed on the Highlander and it was my fault even though I wasn't aware....in depressing the gas pedal the edge of my size 13 shoe was also pressing the corner of the brake pedal....when warning came on, foot was shifted off the brake and the warning dissappered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so I do not have a brake issue (yet), but I wonder if the cruise/distance control would have anything to do with this? For example, while driving on a long trip last week I noticed on numerous occasions while using the Cruise Control that if I wanted to speed up to pass or change distance for any reason it felt like the car was "braking" itself while I was trying accelerate. I wonder if this could cause brake wear. Everytime I felt it I also wondered if my brake lights were showing to people behind me even though I was going faster.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
546 Posts
Aside from the main issue, seeing that detailed computer report is an eye opener.....looks like a convenient way to come up with an excuse for voiding a warranty. With a readout like that you can forget warranty coverage.

Just for laughs I'd like to see the report on my Rav which I use for tearing a$$ on open country back roads on early morning fun runs around hairpin turns and teacup hills..... might need a lot of paper for the printout.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's really strange for an brand new SUV, after driving for a while from highway or city have you notice the brake rotors very hot front and back? If yes, maybe the caliper slider pin was low in grease and might be the culprit. I found very strange for an new vehicle for diagnosing the cause as " wrapped rotors"

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
682 Posts
Are they actually warped? Has the runout been measured?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
65 Posts
Two comments-yes the computer readout is scary big brother stuff & what's up with all the ABS activations too?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts