Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 toyota 4wd pickup with a rebuilt 22re engine with about 20k miles on it. The original engine went down when the timing chain wore through the timing chain cover into the water jacket. The mechanic doing the work didn't realize the importance of a steel sleeve guide for the timing chain, nor did I. I just got done replacing the timing chain, steel giude and put on a new timing chain cover. I fired the truck back up and unfortunately I think I must have warped the head when the leak first appeared. I was in heavy traffic heading home from work when the water jacket was broken into and the water started getting into the oil. The temp gauge just got to hot when I was able to get to a gas station. I added water to the radiator and drove about another 8 miles before it started to get hot again and I decided to bury my head in shame and call a tow truck.
When I got everything put back together and started the truck, a constant stream of steam came out of the exhaust. This is similar to the way it behaved when I tore the head off and found out that it was warped (The mechanic that put my rebuilt engine in didn't believe in a torque wrench). I removed the head and had it planed down this past summer and carefully retorqued the head. Same symptoms then, plenty of steam out of the tailpipe.
Here is my question, is there a fix for a warped head that doesn't require tearing the head off and taking it to a machine shop? With arthritis in my wrists, that exercise is just too painful and everything else works so well on the truck that I really hate to part with it>

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
NOt much you can do about a warped head without taking itoff. If you have already sent it to the machine shop to ahve it planed there may be some oehter problems with it other than the head. Have you checked the block to make sure it is not damaged in any way. Has the head been magnafluxed or anything like that to check for cracks. Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head right now. You may want to hit up the truck boards to see if anyone else has similar issues or ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head was removed, planed and replaced this past summer. It worked perfectly until the timing chain wore through the water jacket in the timing chain cover. After I noticed I had a problem with the engine, I probably drove it a little more than I should have. I wanted to get to a gas station and get some water for it. The temp gauge just reached the hot mark when I hit the station.
I guess I was hoping for a miracle cure, such as throwing an egg white into the radiator or retorquing the head at higher than recommended ft lbs to seal it back up. Everything else works so well on the truck that I hate to give it up, but I don't believe I am up to the torture of removing the head again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts