Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is toyota on the 5000 mile new car checkup?

I am under on the mileage, but at 6 months, relative to the virus, dont want to go to the dealer

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The only thing they really do at 5,000 miles is tire rotation. I get free tire rotations done at Costco every 7,500 miles and never had a problem with uneven tire wear.

Make sure to check the tire pressure according the recommended value on the sticker in the driver's door jamb. That is the cold tire pressure. If checking when tires are warm (from being driven) then add about 3 PSI over cold tire pressure. That will go a long way to preventing any potential uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So don't go to the dealer for now. It's of trivial importance in the current scheme of things.

We've always taken my wife's 2012 Prius in for service (mainly oil and filter change) every 5,000 miles which is around once per year since it has averaged 5,625 miles per year since new.

The 5,000 maintenance is really only a few checks and a tire rotation. There's nothing special performed at the first 5,000 mile service that I can find in the maintenance manual.

Our vehicles won't leave our garage until at least 3 weeks and 2 days from now when the first 30 day stay-at-home order expires unless we have an emergency and there might be another stay-at-home order after the first one. I might idle the engines once or twice during that period. We've let vehicles sit unused for 30 days at a time with no problems but haven't done that with a Toyota hybrid.

My understanding is that the ICE (internal combustion engine) in a Toyota hybrid is started by the traction battery instead of the 12V battery and that the 12V battery is for powering the accessories and underlying electrical infrastructure. If that's the case, it means that it is important to keep the traction battery charged either through regenerative braking or by running the ICE. I'll be turning the Prius ignition on to check the charge level of the traction battery while its parked and running the ICE if necessary to charge it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
No oil change at first 5000???
Toyota specifies that oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first (on newer Toyotas). You can download the Maintenance and Warranty Guide for your car at the Toyota website if you don't have a copy of it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
No oil change at first 5000???
Correct. I'm looking at the same maintenance manual that should have come with your RAV4 and it does not show an oil and filter change at the first 5,000 mile maintenance. Have you looked at the maintenance schedule?

The first maintenance for new vehicles certainly has changed. A few decades ago, the first oil change for some vehicles was at 500 to 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes new vw bugs in 1967 were at 1000 I think.
I called my dealer they said, what you said, 5000 is fluids check ----10k does seem a long first change tho

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
yes new vw bugs in 1967 were at 1000 I think.
I called my dealer they said, what you said, 5000 is fluids check ----10k does seem a long first change tho
Toyota does not have a different oil change interval for the first oil change versus all other oil changes. Some people like to do the first oil change after a couple thousand miles, and if that is your preference you are free to do that yourself. Make sure you use the recommended oil viscosity for your car.

As you know, new Toyota's get first 2 years of service for free. This is not warranty service, but a free service plan provided by Toyota USA (not available in all countries). This is done for competitive reasons, especially since Toyota now specifies that synthetic oil is to be used.

As far as 5000 mile fluid check (coolant, brake fluid, window washer), you can do that yourself or just skip it. To check the coolant, do not open the filler cap, only check the reservoir. For brake fluid, do not ope the cap, you can check it with a flashlight because the reservoir is clear. But it is extremely unlikely that any of these will have a problem in the first 10,000 miles.

There is absolutely no comparison between a 1967 automobile and an a 2020 model. The difference between the Ford Model T and a 1967 is about the same magnitude of difference between a 1967 and a 2020.

·
Registered
2012 Camry XLE Hybri
4 Posts
I put on maybe 8k/yr, I went in every 6mths. I believe its a whichever comes first thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts