Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just waiting for delivery of my new Tac and I'm really excited. Just wondering what your thoughts were on the new vehicle's warranty - Basic coverage is 3yr/36,000 and Powertrain is 5yr/60,000. This seems to fall short of other manufacturers, but I'm hoping it's because the Tacs prove to be reliable. From what I've researched, this is true. Also, what are your thoughts on purchasing an extended warranty that took me to 7yr/70,000 for an additional 2400 bucks? Love to hear thoughts ! THANKS again and can't wait to get the new ride, my first Toyota !

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
This post made me do a little research on warranties...
Ford Ranger - same as Tacoma
Nissan Frontier - same as Tacoma
Chevy Colorado - mostly the same, but 5 yr/100K miles on powertrain
Dodge Dakota - mostly the same, but lifetime unlimited on powertrain

You'll always find people on both sides of the extended warranty decision. Know that you have until the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper expires before you have to make up your mind.

You can also haggle and shop around dealers for the warranty. The best price I've seen in posts on the Internet for the Toyota Platinum 7/70/no deductible plan is around $800. When I bought my 09 Taco, the dealer offered it to me for around $1100. So, even if you want the warranty, don't spend $2400 on it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking back through my paperwork, I had forgotten that the price was "discounted" until the month's end to $1360. Even at this price, I know I can do better knowing what I know now ! I also didn't realize that I had until the orig warranty expires to make a decision. Thanks TOTO for some great info and this is EXACTLY why I love this site. Lots of helpful people.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
You're welcome. Dealers love to push the warranty at the time of sale because they can bake it into the amount financed on the car and then the consumer only has to pay "a few extra dollars a month".

If you'd like more info about the warranties available from Toyota without the high-pressure sales pitch, see this page at Toyota's Web site.

·
meteor proof
520 Posts
in my experience and from other people that ive talked to i'd say just take the regular warranty for now. wait until that warranty is almost out and then decide if you wish to get an extended warranty or not. the manufacturer almost always mails you information about extending your warranty when the original is almost up. no use in spending that money now. plus, if you get an extended warranty now for say up to70,000 then thats all you would get. if you waited until you have more miles on the truck they will probably offer an extended warranty for up to 100,000.

·
Shake & Bake
'09 Tacoma AC 4x4
16 Posts
Ecp

Hey,
I just wanted to throw a comment at this thread. I recent bought an '09 Tacoma and chose to go with the 7 year/100,000 miles (160,000kms) extended warrantee. There were a few things that they mentioned that I thought were interesting, including tire warrantee and roadside assistance. Sure enough, I was out on a dirt road and got a flat tire. It was a sidewall that let go. ECP covered it 100%, would have got a tow to the dealer too if I was so inclined (But I know where the spare is :p). The service guy told me that if I didn't have ECP there was nothing they'd have done about the tire. Makes me think they like this ECP thing because they can fix stuff and bill it to them. Anyway, just my two cents.

DS

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
----- Original Message -----
To: Joe
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: Warranty

Hi Joe,

Here is all the info and quotes...

I am currently offering the Toyota Platinum 7 yr / 100,000 mile Extra Care
plan w/ $0 deductible for $945.00 and the 7 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $700.00
on Tacoma 4x4s's.

Most of the details on the Extra Care plans can be found directly at
Toyota's website at the following link, including all the various terms and
options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different
plan.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_NewVehicleProtectionPlan

Here are the purchase instructions if / when you decide to purchase.

I would need you to mail me an original signed letter indicating the exact
current mileage on your vehicle, and a copy of your current registration.(If
you are in a state where you don't get your state registration right away, I
can also use a copy of the bill of sale, purchase contract, or some other
official document which shows the owners name and address, along with the
vehicles VIN)

Sorry, I know its a little inconvenient, but its the only way we could come
up to cover ourselves on the mileage and VIN verification. After I receive
your letter, I can call you for credit card info, if that's how you choose
to pay, or you can include a check, money order, or the credit card info
with it. Also, make sure that the registration copy is legible (I have
gotten a couple of them recently that I couldn't read or had part of the VIN
chopped off on the copy).

Mail to:

Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)
Phone - (413) 772-0989 (My direct line).
Fax - (413) 774-2247

Thanks,

Troy

·
Registered
458 Posts
^^ Right On ^^

I just picked up a Platinum 7/100 from Troy on my 2006 4WD for $945. My factory warranty was just about up. Basically sent a letter in stating my mileage & copy of state registration. He set me up with Toyota Rewards Visa Card 0% financing too over the phone. Had my paperwork for the everything within a week. Totally happy with this deal. :thumbsup:

As mentioned, I waited & had a few things pop up during the basic 3/36 that made me go ahead with the extended which I usually wouldn't do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts