Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my wifes transportation and she says she is sure that I can fix it. I'm not so sure.

No supercharger.
With air.
2WD.

The original problem was the erratic idle at warmer temps. I did a lot of reading and thought I might check some things.

This is what I did.
1. Disconnected the IACV connector and tried to check the pins with ohm meter but could not get to the pins.

2. Took out the EGR modulator and cleaned the filter then reinstalled it. I put back the vacuum hoses as they were.

3. Disconnected the sensor at the air box (MAF)? and tested the resistance while moving the door inside. Checked good. Put it back on.

4. Pulled the coolant hoses off the IACV and could not stop them from leaking so I put them back on. I probably lost about half a quart of coolant. Checked the coolant resevoir and still had plenty in it.

5. Put the IACV connector back on.

Now it won't start. Sorry for this being so long.

Can anyone help me?
Matt.

·
Registered
1991 Previa 5 speed,
613 Posts
It doesnt sound like you really did anything that would keep it from starting. I would just go back over everything that you touched..... make sure that anything you unplugged, you pluged back together... Check fuses...

When doing the Idle Control Valve, you have to clamp the hoses, or you will leak out ALL the coolant . Pulling the Valve and cleaning it with some spray cleaner will be a big improvement. I had the same unstable idle when warm. This cleared it up after I cleaned mine. Then about 10,000 miles later it started agian.... I cleaned the ICV again, but it didn't help... It turned out to be the Throttle Control Sensor. I had one sitting on an extra engine that I had.. Replaced it just as a Trial ,cuse I figured I had done everything else.... Now it idles smooth as snot....

I know this doesn't answer your qustion to as getting it started, but I hope this helps for when you do...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I worked on it all afternoon trying to get it started.
I did the following.

1. Changed the rotor, cap, plug wires, plugs, and fuel filter.
Figured they needed it as they have not been changed since I bought it.

2. Measured the resistance at the pins of the ICV. Checked good per manual.

3. Checked for spark at the coil by pulling the wire from the distributor and holding 1\2 inch from block and other grounds with NO SPARK. I tried the old wire (plug type) with no difference.

I do have the 12 volts at the connector to the ignition coil with the key in the on position.

4. The coil checked good with my ohmmeter.

Could it be the ECU? My understanding is if I have voltage at the coil I should also have spark when cranking.
I'm going crazy.

Anyone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts