There is no substitute.
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tossed concrete injures woman
Woman, 28, suffered severe head and facial injuries in apparent attack
Feb. 3, 2006. 01:17 PM

CANADIAN PRESS
AND TORONTO STAR STAFF

OSHAWA — A bride-to-be is recovering from massive facial reconstructive surgery after her right cheek was ripped off by a chunk of concrete thrown from a Highway 401 overpass in Oshawa.
Police say Nadia McLean, 28, of Courtice, Ont., was in the eastbound lanes, driving her brother and three friends home from a wedding around 2 a.m. last Sunday when she saw what she thought was a man preparing to jump from an unused railway bridge located near Albert St.

She didn’t see the concrete chunk that smashed through the windshield of her Volkswagen and knocked her unconscious.

Her 26-year-old brother Eric managed to grab the steering wheel and stop the car on the side of the road.

Her father, Andre McLean, 55, said his son told him he thought she was dead “because he could see inside her face.”

Police at first thought the concrete fell by accident, but now say it was deliberately dropped.

“(Investigators) found the concrete is not a piece of structural concrete found in the overpass,” said OPP sergeant Cam Woolley. “It’s definitely not part of the bridge. Someone carried it there and dropped it.”

McLean has been able to talk to investigators.

She plans to get married in July.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1138964795505&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

·
Needs To Speed
1994 Camry
296 Posts
if someone dropped that they deserve to be hung by their balls

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
I almost py-ackered just now. Unfriggin' believeable...don't I remember this being a huge problem south of the border? Oh yeah, that's why those fences encircle every footbridge on the turnpikes. Someone please find the human gene for "psychopath" so we can end this kinda thing.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I was reading someting on a another newspapers site and the same thign was happening but not to that extent. Some guy dropped several pieces of rock of concrete on to several cars.

I went to school witha guy taht dropped a cinder block off of a highway overpass and hit a guy in a Ford Ranger. The block went throught he windshield and killed the guy instantly. needless to say the kid ended up in jail for quite a long time. We had some prisoners form the local jail come in to talk to us one day and he was acting up. One of the prisoners looked down at him and told him he would be his bitch when he got to jail, jsut trying to scare him and stuff. About a year later is when he dropped the block and killed the guy.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
some guy dropped a brick from an overpass/walkway or whatever you call it..on my solara, the brick hit the windshield and left a deep (but luckily small) crack. Took it to my friends shop and within days, the crack was cleaned, vacummed and filled. But i can't imaging this..who in their right mind would do such a thing..its soo cruel!

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Cyorke said:
I was reading someting on a another newspapers site and the same thign was happening but not to that extent. Some guy dropped several pieces of rock of concrete on to several cars.

I went to school witha guy taht dropped a cinder block off of a highway overpass and hit a guy in a Ford Ranger. The block went throught he windshield and killed the guy instantly. needless to say the kid ended up in jail for quite a long time. We had some prisoners form the local jail come in to talk to us one day and he was acting up. One of the prisoners looked down at him and told him he would be his bitch when he got to jail, jsut trying to scare him and stuff. About a year later is when he dropped the block and killed the guy.
wow is there a better definition for irony.
It's too bad for the woman, she was getting married too.

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts
There was an outbreak of this happening on Omaha overpasses in the late 90s. People would drop 10" deep concrete blocks on cars and it would kill the person instantly. Now, nearly every overpass has those protective chain fences on the edges. It's pretty sick what some people do.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,979 Posts
Damn what kinda person would think of doing something liek that. That's sick.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Wow.. that's fucked.. this happened nearby my place. :disappoin

·
Needs To Speed
1994 Camry
296 Posts
yea i remember that. he must have been possessed. youd have to be :thumbsdow

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
Dammit, now I'm kinda homesick for the GTA (no, not because of the psychos). I don't have an overpass within 800km of me, either.

I guess boring is better, sometimes.

·
I Like Traffic Lights !!!
78 Bronco
520 Posts
That is freakin sick, but with all the whackos out there you just never know what will happen next or when...

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Silver Streak said:
Just how bored and stupid are these people? I'm sure most likely teenagers who think its cool to do this, as they can get away easily. :disappoin
Please don't generalize :( . It couldve been anyone, you don't need a teenager to throw a concrete block down an overpass.

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
Sure not all teens are bad but the majority of stupid crimes like this are caused by them. There is a special place in hell for people that do that stuff. If they are caught they should be tried as adults. Stupid teenage pranks get out of hand and it's getting worse. I was young and stupid once but never would have done crap like this. :rolleyes:

·
幻影
673 Posts
At least she's alive, even though that was wrong to do. Talking about stuff dropping overpasses, that incident isn't as bad as the dog that jumped off an overpass near detroit, and killed the driver of a car below.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts