Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**COOLANT TEMPERATURE GUAGE I SHOULD SAY** Ok normally at this time of the year a lower water temperature reading is normal, but in Florida its only 70 degrees outside so I shouldn't be getting a different reading. Its giving me a really low reading on the highway, I'd say half a cm or so above the low mark on my dash guage. I know the temp guage doesn't do anything but tell me the driver, what the temp is. And the thermostat is what controls the water pump.

Do you think my sensor needs a cleaning or replacement?

Or is there a problem in the water system? (to make it colder? lol)

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Try turning on the heat. Are you getting very hot heat at these times? If not, it seems the thermostat is stuck in the open position or opening up too soon. It is not letting the engine reach the required temperature before opening up. This results in a cooler running engine, increased fuel consumption and increased emmissions. The fix is to change the thermostat and it's gasket and bleed the cooling system.

Mike

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i do get pretty hot heat. And when the car comes to a stop the temperature goes to about where it should be, in the middle. As soon as the air goes flowing threw the radiator at highway speeds it drops down again.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
thermostate, especially if it is original.

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
got a new thermostat as they are rather cheap. Gonna replace it on the weekend. I don't have a time for a draining or mess thru the week. The thermostat is on the left coolant hose right by the exhaust manifold, correct? If so the coolant would flow out there as i open that section up.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Do you have an I4 or V6? V6 is harder to do, so if you have that, I'll throw you some pointers.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Ok, the 5SFE is a lot easier then the 1MZFE V6. I'd recommend changing the collant all together as well. Go to the dealer and get the Thermostate AND 1 gallon of toyota Red collant. the collant is like $20 a gallon, so you do not get a shock. Before you change the thermostate, get the old collant out. 2 places to do it. 1 is on the bottom of the radiator itself,a nd the other should be on the front of the block behind the exhause manifold. I know it is on the V6, and THINK it is as well on the I4. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about that.

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced it today, swapped the fluid and all is back to working order. The old thermostat was indeed satuck open and a bit mangled.

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh crap, i don't think so. My dad made the fluid cuz he always thinks he knows so much. Ahhh, I'll prob have to swap it out again. Whats the con of using regular water with antifreeze?

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just used florida pipe water. We did drive about 20 miles to make sure all is back to normal. Regular water shouldn't do anything correct?

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
Well, if you stick to the maintenence schedule, you shouldn't worry.

The problem is that the minerals in tap water will build up as it reacts with the coolant and that lowers the circulation. and this site Castrol how-to coolant change meantions about the minerals "denaturing" the coolant.

Those are your possiblilties.

Again, I dont' think you'll leave it in long enough for damage as long as you stick to the schedule, but there will be some deposits. Should be okay since you'll flush it again the next time anyway.

·
Retired VW Driver
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how often do you normally flush, my cars pretty old so a manual isn't on hand. I'm ordering the hanes manual tho for a couple future jobs I'm gonna do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts