Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my oil in my truck and noticed under my oil fill cap :eek: I had this merky chocolate scum. This is indicative of water being in my oil. When I drained my oil, the oil did not look the same, so I am probably looking at a crack head :confused: on that side. I checked it a day later after running the truck to and from work and have the same merky fill appearing after I wiped out the cap. I was wondering if any of you have had a problem of water in the oil or something wrong with the head or block? For me this is a bad situation :ugh3: , since I told my father inlaw (a Ford loyalist) I will still be running my truck past 150k miles with no major repairs. Now I have to eat my words. Any reply or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Nate

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is nothing to worry about. You are not running the truck long enough. I have the same problem. I only live about 1.5 miles from work and in the summer I don't warm up my truck. In the winter it is not as much of an issue. In the summer though it happens frequently. When you drained the oil is it murky or is it black?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gezzzzzz.

Change the oil, filter......and check your oil in a few days. This will tell you if you have a problem. If it looks good after a few days...then check once a week.

·
GT
64 Posts
water in oil

I have an 02 and saw the mikey substance when I changed my oil last weekend.
I have a short drive to work so that's why.
I use Mobil 1 syn. and Toyota oil filter's. Got 75,000 on her with a little ticking but I think all Toyota's are like that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is common to see a milky oily substance on the cap during cold winter months and due to short trips. It will all evaporate if you go on a "longer" trip somewhere.

But, just to be sure, keep checking your oil to see if it has a milkiness to it and check your coolant level. If the coolant level doesn't change, there is no water leaking into the engine.

Also, milky oil is usually due to a head gasket leak, not a cracked head (although it is possilbe.) Head gaskets are much cheaper to have done than replacing a head.

·
Registered
'02 Tundra SR5 4x4
25 Posts
Here's a little more reassurance for you. I get the same thing with mine. Scared the heck outa me when I first saw it, so I sent my oil away for an analysis to make sure it wasn't antifreeze. They analyzed it and sent me the results back w/ a note saying I didn't put enough miles on it. After 3 months of driving, I had only put on about 2200 miles (if I remember correctly). Everything on the analysis looked good and no antifreeze. So, I drove it for 6 months and put on about 4500 miles before the next oil change. I sent the sample away, and when it came back, the note said I had the best engine they had seen in a very very long time. It showed virtually no wear and, of course, no antifreeze.
So, I'd say you probably don't have anything to worry about, but if you want the piece of mind, get an analysis done next oil change. It only costs $20, I got mine from Blackstone www.blackstone-labs.com
You can check out my results here, if you want:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1519648&postcount=14

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey..........great post. I am glad to here this. Usually I take small trips to and from school. 1.5 miles. But the temp can get -20. I do let my truck warm up for 10-15 minutes. I usually drive longer distances, but only once about every 4-6 months. I have had the same problem with moisture in the oil. I have been changing mine every 3000 miles. I checked the owners manual and it said every 5000 to 6 months. I was astonished. 3 months on dino oil. Wow, but this works to my benifit. I guess I will have to start putting on more miles between oil changes. Great info...........I was a little scared myself. All the sludge info has been scaring me because I plan on keeping the vehicle about 10 years.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looked down my oil filler tube today and it was absolutely clean. Any trace of oil was honey colored or dark.......so I was happy. thanks for the info again.

·
Banned
24 Posts
you guys are a bunch of crack heads yourself. why do consumers always think they can fix their own problems. you're prob too cheap to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer so you take it to jimmy lube for their signature oil change. HA. suck on this poser.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a common problem that I've only noticed with toyota. Very short drive times causes the cap to condensate. No issues caused by this though. For someone that hasn't seen it before, probably would've liked a pic of the face when found, lol.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Banned

PECOSH1816 said:
you guys are a bunch of crack heads yourself. why do consumers always think they can fix their own problems. you're prob too cheap to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer so you take it to jimmy lube for their signature oil change. HA. suck on this poser.
And you're getting banned, you poser. You were warned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you don't see water when draining your oil it could be condensation in valve cover.without knowing witch engine it is hard to help

·
Give me somethin to break
05 tundra doublecab
251 Posts
I have an 04' with the 4.7. I get the white murky condensation real bad,but I only live 3 miles from work,AND I go home for lunch too. There is also alot of moisture in the air here,so im thinking that is also a factor.I am wondering if a breather would be better than a screw on oil cap for letting the moisture out of the engine when the oil warms up.How about a possible pcv valve or the tube that takes air from the airbox? How many of you actually look inside their oil cap?:disappoin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts