Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for some reason for the past couple of months my trunk has being capable of taking in water only in the left driver side hole, meaning all on the left little space bucket. I cant seem to figure out from where the water is coming and it only happens when it rains. On a nice day i placed a hoses over the rear window while i was inside the car with a flash light to see if there was a leak from there and nothing. I place it on top of the edge of the hood by the left side and saw no water. Place it on the side of the gas tank (while lock) and nothing. My mind is going crazy on figuring out from where is this water able to come in front and stayin on the left buck of my trunk. Any ideas?

Im at the point where i am about to make a tiny hole on the bucket just to have it release everything it starts to fill on is own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
nope i did not but if by gasket you mean the rubber around the trunk i place the hose running down all around and nothing came thru. If the gasket is another in another place please tell me because this is killing me. And as i said, the water only accumulate on the left side of the trunk.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,608 Posts
Sun/moon roof? If yes, there's a drain tube that runs in that area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is a basic LE with no sun/moon roof.

Fuel door? i did some texting around that area with the hoses, but yet again i could have done it also wrong, since what i did i had the fuel door closed and held the hose on top of it to see if anything came thru there. But i was unlucky to see anything.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Hmmmm. Is the water getting in when you OPEN the trunk? Nonetheless, I'l place something in the trunk... like cardboard or news paper, then soak the living hell out of the car. Run it through a car wash; just hit EVERYTHING. Then open up the trunk and have a look. I should also mention that there's a vent that links the trunk to the outside. On gen 3's it's on the left hand side of the trunk. Gen 4 might be the same.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
i may have this wrong but you should have a drain tube in that well. perhaps the "vent" he is talkign about^. there should be one in the right side also. It is possible that the tube has become blocked and water is pooling instead of draining. mine had this problem on the passenger (right) side and it was the drain tube being clogged with crap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
've had water leaks in my trunk from 1. taillight bolts and grommets, 2. antenna ( I know, other side of the car ), 3. around the gas cap box, 4. the flapper valve that lets air out of the car. The flapper valve is right under the plastic shelf on the drivers side. If the foam seal is gone/weak around the flapper, water could be sprayed up in there by the tire. That's why it's hard to find - it only fills up while you're driving.

Happened to me.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
^ THAT'S what I was referring to. Flapper valve... thanks. :)

·
Registered
93 Camry LE
3 Posts
Bingo! The vent box on the lower left rear fender is the likely culrpit. I just pulled the bumper from my Camry
during the holidays and replaced the seal around that vent box. The foam seal was totally shot. I replaced it with dum dum putty. The car had been driven in lots of rain since then and the trunk is totally dry!
Don't be afraid to do this job. It will only take about half a day and you will be very happy with the results.

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Wow. I had the same problem for a while was planning to ask about it. The left compartment was filling up with water when it rains and I thought it was from the rubber plug at the bottom. Resealed it but it still filling up and rusting my jumper cables. I just pulled my rear bumper off a few minutes ago to check for damage because someone rear ended me in the parking today (No damage to bumper foam or cover :thumbsup:). I notice the flapper valve/vent but didn’t believe it was the cause of the leak. I guess I’ll pull the bumper off tomorrow to check the vent. If it not too expensive; does anyone know the part # for the foam seal? Maybe I'll just use RTV or 3M strip seal on it.

Also, since I'm here, does anyone know the part # for the push in plastic clips/retainers that go on top and under the rear bumper? A few broke from the accident and those from Autozone never seem to fit well. Thanks.

·
Registered
1992 Camry V6 XLE
147 Posts
would the flapper valve/vent cause water to leak out of the corner of the trunk tail light when opened? it leaks kinda next to the holes rubber stoppers go in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts