Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla CE 2005
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My girlfriend's 2002 Highlander was leaking water on the interior around the passenger side glove compartment area. On rainy days the water would drip in and pool...

Truck started having electrical issues. Head lights would come on while truck parked and the batter would drain.

We didn't find out about the problem until the water had pooled so much the carpet was slushing on the passenger side all the way back to the end of the rear seats... When we lifted the carpet we discoverd the puddle had pooled all the way to the middle point of the truck. Here is what we did...

1 - Removed passenger seat, raised carpets.
2 - Used shop vac to absorb as much water out of carpets as possible. Squeezed water out of under padding until no more could be squeezed out.
3 - Used wood blocks to keep carpet proped up and used an electric heater to dry everything out. Took many hours of heat.
4 - Purchased anti-mould spray and treated floor / carpet.

Here is how we found the leak. Two mechanics were not able to find it:

Ran a garden hose over the roof area. One person held the hose the other monitored the very light trickle of water coming from behin the glove compartment. Popped out the glove compartment to get a better view.
I moved the hose all over the roof and the trickle got fast in a particular area when the hose was at the edge of passenger side vehicle.

Along the side beam holding the windsheild in place there is a rubber tube like drain at the top passenger corner of the winsheild. It is very inconspicuous. The hole is very small but it drains water from the roof. Either the tube is punctured, clogged or dis-connected. WHen I put the hose to the entrance of the tube water gushed in like crazy into the interior.

I've run weed eater line through it and compressed air. Did not solve.

So instead of taking it to a body shop to dis-assemble I have plugged the tube hole with clear silicon caulking. Caulked it when I knew the truck would be parked for a few hours.

Problem solved. No more leak, no more electrical issues.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD
1,303 Posts
Wow, sorry about the issues you are having wonder what caused it? Guess if the the moonroof drain tube you are speaking of correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts