Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:I took my 2003 Camry LE in to the Toyota dealership today for a routine oil change. The mechanic told me the water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. They quoted me $406. I am curious if this is a reasonable cost. I priced the part for $88 with a lifetime warranty. Is the water pump very difficult to replace? I am just a "female" (gasp!) ;)that has no clue about such things. My husband is working out of town, so I need to know if this is a serious problem or can it wait for him to work on it (he is not wonderfully skilled in mechanics, it took him 3 days to change the timing belt in our 90 camry years ago):disappoin. I am a little distressed at letting him at my car which is my baby! So, should I get it fixed for $406, or should I wait and let him attempt to do it? Is there a risk of other problems if this is not fixed right away??!!:eek:

·
Former Toyota/ASE Master
325i
1,078 Posts
A leaking water pump is usually not the end of the world, though it depends on the severity of the leak. If it's gushing coolant to the point that you see it on the ground, then yeah. Get it replaced. That's usually not the case on your engine though. Normally coolant will seep out through the seal or the pulley, indicated by a pink crust on the block. It happens over time, and usually it won't kill the engine. If the leak is bad enough, you'll see coolant on the ground. The temp gauge will also read higher than normal due to loss of coolant.
If your husband is going to be back in a reasonable amount of time, I'd say you can wait and have him do it. If he's already done a tbelt than he can handle the water pump on your engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does he have to go through the timing belt to get to the water pump? If so, I would think he should also replace that?? Its a 4cyl.:confused:

·
Former Toyota/ASE Master
325i
1,078 Posts
Does he have to go through the timing belt to get to the water pump? If so, I would think he should also replace that?? Its a 4cyl.:confused:
Avalon? If you have a 4 cyl avalon, that's a first.

But yeah, replace the timing belt at the same time as it has to come off to get to the pump.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Its an 03 camry LE, there is no timing belt. The water pump is belt driven by the serpentine belt. My wifes went out at 50-60K miles. The dealer list on it is $141.80 and the time given to replace it is 1.2 hours(assuming it is the 4cylinder). Its not that hard to do. The only pain in the ass part is that there is no gasket for it, you have to use RTV and make sure it dosent smear all over as your trying to possition the new pump in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts