Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys the other day i overheated my Paseo cause i forgot to put the cap back on the radiator. Well i fill it back up and put a new cap on and i found out that my water pump is leaking now. I guess from over heating caused a seal to go bad. Well it happened the day i was going out of town down to fla. so i had to bum a ride off a friend and i had to leave the seo. Well i going to be heading back up there in a day or two but i have to replace the water pump before school starts on tuesday. I was wondering if any of you guys had a write up or something from a manual that explains how to do this. Looks easy but i dont wont to run into any problems along the way. I want it to be smooth. Like how to releave tention from the belt and how to put it back on. thanks guys

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
To relieve tension on the belt loosen and remove the altinator. With the alt. out of the way feel for 3-5 bolts that hold the pump housing to the block. Remove these and the housing with the pump itself is free, switch pumps and the rest is in reverse. Refer to the other thread for my other comments. It is not necessary to remove the passenger side mount like I said but it makes it easier to loosen the pump-to-pump housing bolts as they can be a pain. Also make sure you get the right pump, the one I got from Auto Zone had a pully that accepted studs and a different pulley, while the factory pump had a press on pulley.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Madcat:rockon:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what do you mean pump to pump bolts? Is there bolts that bolt the pump together and more to bolt it to the block? How do i add tension to the belt when i go to put it back on? Just tighten the bolts that bolt the alternator to the bracket? I don't have my Seo with me down here in Florida right now its up in North Carolina cause of the holidays. Ill be back up there before this weekend. Thanks for you help Madcat keep it coming.

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
The alt. has 2 bolts that hold it on, the bottom bolt is the pivot and allows it to swing closer or farther away from the engine and the top bolt holds it in the position needed. Once you get it all back together push the alt. towards the firewall until the belt is tight, then tighten the upper and lower bolts. As for the pump it is bolted (5 bolts) onto an aluminum housing that bolts to the engine block. It is easier to remove the pump and housing together but as I said before the pump to housing bolts can be a pain, and it may be a good idea to loosen them before you pull the housing off the block.

Madcat :rockon:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought my Water pump at Advace Auto parts today. They pump where the pulley bolts too it threaded is that the right one? thanks

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
justin04 said:
Just bought my Water pump at Advace Auto parts today. They pump where the pulley bolts too it threaded is that the right one? thanks
No thats the same one I got, the factory unit has a press on pulley. I even had Auto Zone get 2 other pumps and they were the same. bring it back and go to the dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... I kind of remembered my pully felt like it was bolted down? Do you have a pic of yours so i can see if its the same?

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
:( Sorry, but its in such a bad spot all I get is a black screen on my digicam. But I assure you its a press on pulley.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys i took the Seo to the shop today and found out the waterpump i bought was the right one the pulley bolted to it i guess Madcat has a different setup. They started working on it at 3 pm. and didn't get done till 6:30 pm. They poured new fluid in the radiator and guess what fluid was leaking from the water pump. The guys said there is another gasket that needed to replaced but the new water pump didn't come with it so he reused the old one , but it didn't work. So i had to leave the Seo there over night and the said they will order that seal from the Toyota dealership and have it ready before i get out of school tomorrow. It sucks but whats done is done. So if your planing on getting your water pump changed you should have it done by a shop cause it would of been disastrous for me i watched them work on it and alot of the bolts were seized. They said it was only going to be $120 witch i think is a good deal. Well just helpin you guys out. later

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
Well I'll be danged. What year is yours? that may explain the difference in the pump.
Good to hear you're getting it fixed though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea. It's a 1992 Toyota Paseo.

·
BLARRGH!!!!
'92 Paseo
277 Posts
HMMM.....maybe a mid year change???? Oh well such is life. Still glad you got it fixed:clap:

Madcat :rockon:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts