Toyota Nation Forum banner

Water pump, Timing cover, and belt tensioner how long before needing replacement?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  John Anthony 
#1 ·
Since I have extra time on my hands right now I have been doing some "preventative" maintenance on my 04 matrix. I have 114k on the odo and just wondering how many miles/years you are getting on the water pumps, timing cover and belt tensoners? It would be a a waste to change them early but if its something to be looking at soon I'd do it.

#3 ·
I hear you, I'm the type that likes to get ahead of breakdown failures also .....BUT....unless you're having trouble with those three things, leave them alone.
If your water pump starts to leak, you still have lots of time to set up a repair/replacement.These pumps last well over 200K.
You may ruin your belt tensioner only when you try changing belts. Most try to release the tension too fast and pop the seal on the tensioners shock. (ask me how I know)
If your spark plugs haven't been changed, it's time to do that. Use only the OEM iridiuum plugs and you will get another 114K miles.
Change your oil if it's time, take a look under the car while you're there for leaks etc.
Jack up the front wheels and check your front end parts for movement and wear.....
Check your brake pads and lubricate the sliders and pins and the ears of the pads making sure the pads move easily on the caliper bracket.
See all the fun things you can do? :)
Good luck.....

#5 ·
I changed my water pump at about 160k. This was due to my upper rad hose developed a crack along the hose clamp. Coincidentally my heater core also sprung a leak. I just decided to change the water pump, radiator and hoses as well as the heater core at this time. At about 140k my belt tensioner pulley was out, tensioner is still ok.
I'm at 170k now and my timing chain tensioner gasket is leaking.

#6 ·
387K miles on my 2004 Corolla with the original water pump, radiator, belt tensioner, thermostat, even hoses. Changed the belt once, probably almost 200K miles ago (Gatorback belt). Timing cover? If it's leaking, it ain't by much. Mostly rear main seal leaks a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.